Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Latest headache from the world of Jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/latest-headache-from-the-world-of-jeep-28006.html)

Sarge137 09-02-2011 09:45 PM

Latest headache from the world of Jeep

Went down to the dealer the other day to have a Mopar remote start installed, because I have heard aftermarket ones have caused headaches. They looked up the parts, and after labour and taxes it was $289.00. Fine, apparently I have a wallet with unlimited funds. Anyway, before they ordered the parts I asked if I could get a combined FOB instead of the square box shown in the picture. Yup, no issues he says, however they would have to order it in from Montreal. They install the remote start on Wednesday and today the FOB arrived. Went down and handed over my keys. The installer came to the desk a few minutes later saying this FOB will not work with the system installed. Apparently you can only get an all in one FOB when you have it installed in the factory. I asked if the remote start installed was the same as the one in the factory. He said yes .... and after staring at him blankly for about 30 secs, I asked what the issue was. Something about an extra module installed at the factory that holds the code instead of the key (or reverse, cant remember now). So right now I have their parts dept checking why the FOB was listed as compatible with an 07 WK remote start when apparently its not. I read on some other forum's thread it would work, I'll have to find it again.

Crestwood1001 09-02-2011 09:50 PM

Re: Latest headache from the world of Jeep

Ill say the same thing everyone else is gonna say. The dealers and service reps are RETARDS. NEVER and I mean NEVER trust what they are saying, get the info they give you and get on here and just ask, we can check and confirm or deny.... again, they are RETARDS and will tell you whatever you want to hear if it gets them a sale...

tommc4 09-02-2011 09:55 PM

I have had many vehicles, and found that the remote start feature is invaluable. In my 03 Grand Cherokees, I had/have the VIPER 5901 ($499 @ Best Buy, Installed). There is a $100 module you need to interface it to the car-bus. It works like a charm. I have NEVER had any compatibility issues with it, and the system offers a LOT of features over the factory unit:

Auto start if below 20 degrees and/or the battery gets down to 10.2 volts (user controlled)
Remote window operation (optional)
GPS locator & iPhone, Android & Crackberry modules (optional)

For the $600 installed, this thing is great. Not to mention the alarm part!
Check it out at viper.com
(no, I don't make a dime off of this; I am just one happy customer!! :D

cherokee619 09-02-2011 10:06 PM

I installed the Viper 5701 with the Xpress Kit that way you don't have to sacrifice your second key and so far loving it..

Sarge137 09-02-2011 10:25 PM

Love the viper remote. I have the 5900 installed in my Grand Am that I'm selling. Was going to rip it out and put it in the WK, but again heard of headaches. Live and learn I guess. I'm quickly starting to realize that unless you have it installed at the factory, never add a MOPAR accessory after the fact ... lol. can anyone tell me the reason for the FOB not working in laymen's terms ?

Sarge137 09-02-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 477969)
Ill say the same thing everyone else is gonna say. The dealers and service reps are RETARDS. NEVER and I mean NEVER trust what they are saying, get the info they give you and get on here and just ask, we can check and confirm or deny.... again, they are RETARDS and will tell you whatever you want to hear if it gets them a sale...

The only good thing that happened there today was that they offered a full refund for the FOB and I can keep the key as a third (all the other functions work )

Sarge137 09-02-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommc4 (Post 477974)
I have had many vehicles, and found that the remote start feature is invaluable. In my 03 Grand Cherokees, I had/have the VIPER 5901 ($499 @ Best Buy, Installed). There is a $100 module you need to interface it to the car-bus. It works like a charm. I have NEVER had any compatibility issues with it, and the system offers a LOT of features over the factory unit:

Auto start if below 20 degrees and/or the battery gets down to 10.2 volts (user controlled)
Remote window operation (optional)
GPS locator & iPhone, Android & Crackberry modules (optional)

For the $600 installed, this thing is great. Not to mention the alarm part!
Check it out at viper.com
(no, I don't make a dime off of this; I am just one happy customer!! :D

lol ... loved my 5900 !!!!

05WK 09-02-2011 10:40 PM

I personally had a factory alarm installed and the FOB works with it. Dealer installed.. Idk bud, it should have came with instruction manual..

H2rescue 09-02-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 477969)

X2

I work at a body shop and have to deal with dealership parts dept people all the time. Can't count how many times I've ordered parts and had to send crap back even after giving them a vin. Last week ordered front diff carrier for newer wrangler, they of course sent the wrong one, sent it back, called and told the guy, then they turned around and sent the same damn one back.....again.

Sofa king we todd did

Sarge137 09-02-2011 11:12 PM

I have learnt my lesson the hard way

Sarge137 09-02-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 478013)
I personally had a factory alarm installed and the FOB works with it. Dealer installed.. Idk bud, it should have came with instruction manual..

It everything I had was factory then there wouldn't be an issue. I'm adding everything on after the fact which is causing the issues.

I'm quickly giving up, so far I have tried to get descent 17" rims locally, but I probably would have better luck finding my virginity. I've learnt that MOPAR security systems are not compatible with MOPAR remote starts, and all in one MOPAR FOB's are not compatible with MOPAR remote starters.

05WK 09-02-2011 11:24 PM

Ah.... Mine was factory brain that the install. Still Chrysler, but I donthave remote start and it's with key pad on my key