Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Latest headache from the world of Jeep

6K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Sarge137 
#1 ·
Went down to the dealer the other day to have a Mopar remote start installed, because I have heard aftermarket ones have caused headaches. They looked up the parts, and after labour and taxes it was $289.00. Fine, apparently I have a wallet with unlimited funds. Anyway, before they ordered the parts I asked if I could get a combined FOB instead of the square box shown in the picture. Yup, no issues he says, however they would have to order it in from Montreal. They install the remote start on Wednesday and today the FOB arrived. Went down and handed over my keys. The installer came to the desk a few minutes later saying this FOB will not work with the system installed. Apparently you can only get an all in one FOB when you have it installed in the factory. I asked if the remote start installed was the same as the one in the factory. He said yes .... and after staring at him blankly for about 30 secs, I asked what the issue was. Something about an extra module installed at the factory that holds the code instead of the key (or reverse, cant remember now). So right now I have their parts dept checking why the FOB was listed as compatible with an 07 WK remote start when apparently its not. I read on some other forum's thread it would work, I'll have to find it again.

#2 ·
Ill say the same thing everyone else is gonna say. The dealers and service reps are RETARDS. NEVER and I mean NEVER trust what they are saying, get the info they give you and get on here and just ask, we can check and confirm or deny.... again, they are RETARDS and will tell you whatever you want to hear if it gets them a sale...

#6 ·
The only good thing that happened there today was that they offered a full refund for the FOB and I can keep the key as a third (all the other functions work )

#3 ·
I have had many vehicles, and found that the remote start feature is invaluable. In my 03 Grand Cherokees, I had/have the VIPER 5901 ($499 @ Best Buy, Installed). There is a $100 module you need to interface it to the car-bus. It works like a charm. I have NEVER had any compatibility issues with it, and the system offers a LOT of features over the factory unit:

Auto start if below 20 degrees and/or the battery gets down to 10.2 volts (user controlled)
Remote window operation (optional)
GPS locator & iPhone, Android & Crackberry modules (optional)

For the $600 installed, this thing is great. Not to mention the alarm part!
Check it out at viper.com
(no, I don't make a dime off of this; I am just one happy customer!! :D

#5 ·
Love the viper remote. I have the 5900 installed in my Grand Am that I'm selling. Was going to rip it out and put it in the WK, but again heard of headaches. Live and learn I guess. I'm quickly starting to realize that unless you have it installed at the factory, never add a MOPAR accessory after the fact ... lol. can anyone tell me the reason for the FOB not working in laymen's terms ?

#11 ·
It everything I had was factory then there wouldn't be an issue. I'm adding everything on after the fact which is causing the issues.

I'm quickly giving up, so far I have tried to get descent 17" rims locally, but I probably would have better luck finding my virginity. I've learnt that MOPAR security systems are not compatible with MOPAR remote starts, and all in one MOPAR FOB's are not compatible with MOPAR remote starters.

#13 ·
Guys with 05 Wk's got it to work, why wont mine !!!!! lol

#15 ·
Not to threadjack, but this is the first I've heard of a factory remote start working on an '05. Anymore info/Part numbers?

#14 ·
As with most mopar accessories, they are NOT the exact system installed on the assembly line... if you pull your kick pannel down and look at the jumble of wires and modules stuffed under there now you will see that basically the mopar remote start kit is an aftermarket remote start kit with MOPAR printed on the instructions. Same with U-connect.

If you want a factory option buy it off the assembly line, otherwise find something aftermarket IMO.

#20 ·
I made a mistake and believed the parts gods at my local Jeep dealer. Live and Learn.

#16 ·
#17 ·
More info on the factory remote start working on the 05' please

#18 ·
x1000 on the Viper 5901 with the xpress kit. I have the module and not the key under the dash and its worked flawlessly! Used to have spare key thing but it acted up and I upgraded. The combined mile range for the 2way remote, remote start and alarm is awesome peace of mind and convenience. Also loveee valet mode. Use it weekly every time I run into store or somewhere I dont want to kill the AC/heat, especially cold winters is it ever so nice :)

Best upgrade in my mind as far as convenience and peace of mind goes

#21 · (Edited)
Go get a Viper system installed. I've been installing them for 7 years, put them in about any car you can think of at this point. If installed properly, it will outlast any factory system, as well as out perform.

The Viper units come with a lifetime warrenty on the brain of the unit. In my 7 years of isntalling, I've used that warrenty...twice. Ive easily put in over 2000 viper units.

Dont get me started on Dealer Techs. Some of them are idiots, others i'd gladly give my keys to.

I once had a tech tell me that because i changed the speakers in a nissan that the customers brakes failed. He sent the customer to me with a repair bill for $976. Written on the invoice "Brake failure, faulty brake booster, caused by Aftermarket rear speaker installation into doors."

Just the other week i was blamed for a ladys windshield wiper motor going bad from the dealer...what i did to the car...i plugged an Aux cable into the ladys FACTORY aux Jack in her center console and that the dealer would not honor her warrenty because "insert shops name here" had peformed work on the vehicle.

Sigh, sorry for the rant.

#22 ·
Dont get me started on Dealer Techs. Some of them are idiots. I can't explain to you how many techs i've proven wrong in my career. Most Dealer techs can't perform a simple current draw test properly.
There that is better...

My name is Andrew, and I am a dealer tech ;)

You can say that and I will agree with you 100%, just know it goes both ways, I would NEVER say that (insert manufacturer here) dealer techs are all knowing or that all should even be turning wrenches, but the same could be said for the aftermarket installer profession, I know installers whom I wouldnt even want to give a ride in my car let alone the keys and the OK to rip my interior apart. EVERY profession has people whom need a paycheck and dont have the guts to find something they can do better, unfourtunatly the ever changing auto repair industry does have some bad apples and because people now adays are dependant on vehicles to maintain their livelyhood they are the first to be burned at the stake when people want to point fingers...

We see them pumping gas, putting my burger together, bagging my canned goods ontop of my eggs, and all these examples are of NEVER changing industries and people still fail, let alone something that in MY (decently short) lifetime has gone from carbonators to direct injected gas engines... bus systems and modules, inputs and outputs, the light switch no longer sends power to the light bulbs, it goes over 2 bus systems and through 2 modules before the last module in the line decides if it wants to turn them on or not.

Life is full of people that cannot do their job no matter what the job is.

#23 ·
Andrew, didnt mean to step on any toes, you are correct, i have met several dealer techs, and aftermarket techs that are very very good at there job. Sadly however, i think we both can agreee, there are people that just shouldn't be doing work on vehicles. I dont know sometimes weather its a lack of training, pride, passion or just how they were taught. (at anything, not just cars)

I've revised my thread.

#25 ·
Andrew, didnt mean to step on any toes, you are correct, i have met several dealer techs, and aftermarket techs that are very very good at there job. Sadly however, i think we both can agreee, there are people that just shouldn't be doing work on vehicles. I dont know sometimes weather its a lack of training, pride, passion or just how they were taught. (at anything, not just cars)

I've revised my thread.

No toes stepped on, I know the stigma of the dealer tech... All the justification I can bring to the table wont stop people from disliking the dealership experience and I dont blame them for a second.

Its all good!

#24 ·
Sarge, so does the factory remote start work with the square fob that came with the kit? Did you have to sacrifice a spare key for the oem system?

#26 ·
The two square FOB's are what I use to start the vehicle with the "factory" system installed by my local dealer. My two original keys and the third are fully interactive with the vehicle (minus the remote start on the "factory" all in one FOB).

I'm still waiting on their answer. Will call tomorrow to see what revolutionary way MOPAR will come up with to explain why their own parts are not compatible again.

BTW, just so there is no confusion, I love my Jeep, just not the idiots who make the decisions on what is installed at the factory and what is installed at the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.