Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Jack stand placement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/jack-stand-placement-28019.html)

snowchiq16 09-03-2011 08:24 AM

Jack stand placement

Going to tackle my front brakes today for the first time and was wondering where a good front end jack stand placement would be? Found some pics for placement on WKs so would it be about the same?

JeepMe 09-03-2011 12:03 PM

Re: Jack stand placement

Subframe rails or axle tubes. Always worked for me.

StoneCold 09-03-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 478216)
Subframe rails or axle tubes. Always worked for me.

X2!

Frango100 09-04-2011 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just take care to never use a jack or stand under the differential to jack up or hold the weight of the jeep. Also when using an axle as a jackpoint (i never use it), do not jack it somewhere in the middle of the axle, but always close to where the shock absorber is mounted.
Attached the jackpoints from the jeep manual.

01grand 09-04-2011 10:18 AM

I always jack from the frame rails, and place the jacks there on the front end and I use the outer end of the axle tube by the shock mounts for the rear end. Make sure your jacks and stands are fairly tall, there is a fair amount of flex in the suspension on these beasts!

Martyp 09-04-2011 10:51 AM

I use the axles, as close to the wheel as possible. Only because I use the factory jack tho.

I'm to cheap to buy a floor jack I'd rarely use although this year having the thing up and down in all four corners about 10 times I was cursing the factory jack by the end of it! :lol:

If you have a proper floor/bottle jack use the frame rails. :thumbsup:

JForestZ34 09-10-2011 06:04 PM

I thought if you had the dana 44 you weren't supposed to use a jack stand or floor jack on the axle tube out of fear of it bending....

James

JeepMe 09-10-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JForestZ34 (Post 482310)
I thought if you had the dana 44 you weren't supposed to use a jack stand or floor jack on the axle tube out of fear of it bending....

James

I've jacked every vehicle I've ever owned up by the axle tubes. If Jeep's "offroad" axle tubes are so weak that you'll bend them when using a jack on them, then Jeep seriously sucks. Not bashing Jeep, but if it's true then it's very sad.

JForestZ34 09-11-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 482319)
I've jacked every vehicle I've ever owned up by the axle tubes. If Jeep's "offroad" axle tubes are so weak that you'll bend them when using a jack on them, then Jeep seriously sucks. Not bashing Jeep, but if it's true then it's very sad.

From what I understand the axle tube is aluminum. They say you can slightly bend the tube and cause bearing failure...

James

StephenE 09-11-2011 02:04 PM

The D44 in a WJ has an Aluminum center section (pumpkin) and Iron axle tubes.

JeepMe 09-11-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JForestZ34 (Post 482686)
From what I understand the axle tube is aluminum. They say you can slightly bend the tube and cause bearing failure...

James

If that's the case, I'm highly ashamed that Jeep builds such crap.