Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Find POI by Name??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/find-poi-by-name-28052.html)

moontz 09-03-2011 10:31 PM

Find POI by Name???

On the 730 RHR, can anyone get "Find POI by Name" to work using voice command? If yes, can you please explain how.

I have tried everything and every time it comes up with 20 pages of results with nothing close to what I actually said to find :confused:

Wondering if I am doing something wrong or if it just doesn't work well.

Sid Fields 09-04-2011 10:40 PM

Re: Find POI by Name???

The whole Voice Activated Nav system is bizzare.The POI byname feature doesn't work. Mine keeps pulling up pages of some place called The Village Inn.
Input name is also useless unless it is Home and then it works. The only reliable choices for voice activation seem to be Recent Places and Point Of interest by Type.
I've found in general whether it is Voice activated or manual input these two are the most reliable choices. The Address book can get wiped out, Home Address sometimes gets lost.
My Trips also appears reliable so set up a few seldom used trips under My Trips and everyday stuff in Recent Places including your home and the system functions.

ENFORCER 09-05-2011 02:11 AM

I got mine working, but it is the Australian 731N. I do not know if that matters.
I also did the voice training, where you need to repeat a heap of numbers.
Just said destination, then POI, then said the name and it came up with a list 1-10 and I said a number of the correct one. I have used it for address inputs as well. Seems to work ok, but more of a gimmick than practical. My kids think it is great, making it change radio stations and ipod tracks.
You can also find places using their phone number, but there is not a lot of entries in mine for their numbers.

BuckeyeSRT 09-05-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Fields (Post 478952)
The whole Voice Activated Nav system is bizzare.The POI byname feature doesn't work. Mine keeps pulling up pages of some place called The Village Inn.

Same

moontz 09-05-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Fields (Post 478952)
Input name is also useless unless it is Home and then it works. The only reliable choices for voice activation seem to be Recent Places and Point Of interest by Type.
I've found in general whether it is Voice activated or manual input these two are the most reliable choices. The Address book can get wiped out, Home Address sometimes gets lost.
My Trips also appears reliable so set up a few seldom used trips under My Trips and everyday stuff in Recent Places including your home and the system functions.

Described my issue(s) exactly.. Even to the detail that it displays a bunch of results for "Village Inn" even though I asked it to find Home Depot. I think it would be nice feature if it worked.

Sid Fields 09-05-2011 03:00 PM

Well. I didn't think it was having trouble understasnding me so I did the Voice Training and tried again. No luck. Perhaps Moontz and I can have a beer at the Village Inn.

Maybe it is a software glitch. I'll check with my service department next time I bring it in for an oil change if there are any newer software versions. Enforcer is right, it is really a gimmick that I don't really need.
My only regret about the system is the lack of ability to display and send voice activated text messages.

BuckeyeSRT 09-05-2011 03:33 PM

I had no idea that I had so many Village Inn's in my area.:lol:

xcespwr 09-05-2011 10:08 PM

I searched for some POIs by name (voice input) today and it found exactly what I asked it to find. No Village Inns at all. Not sure why yours isn't working.

Sid Fields 09-06-2011 05:08 AM

It looks like you have a 2012. It's possinle they fixed a software glitch. I was going to check it out with my service guy when i get my oil changed in a couple of thousand of miles or so.
Too bad you'll miss the Mini Meet at The Village Inn.

BuckeyeSRT 09-06-2011 06:44 AM

2012 here and headed to the Village Inn :)

77Cherokee 09-06-2011 07:54 PM

I've got two pages of Village Inn. I just have to decide which one to go to. :screwy: If anyone finds a solution, please let us know.

moontz 09-09-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcespwr (Post 479514)
I searched for some POIs by name (voice input) today and it found exactly what I asked it to find. No Village Inns at all. Not sure why yours isn't working.

Mind telling us what you searched for? And did you search within a city or closest to location?

Only reason I ask is that I'd be curious if I said the exact same thing, if it would be recognized.