Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   G/Y Silent Armor or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/g-y-silent-armor-or-bridgestone-dueler-a-t-revo-2-a-28115.html)

airborne89 09-05-2011 11:55 AM

G/Y Silent Armor or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2?

I'm getting ready to swap tires on my new GC Larado X. It has the Hemi and I will also be swapping out the wheels. I've tried searching but am still confused between which of the two tires to go with.

Most of my driving, 80%, is to and from work but I like to hit the trails around me and up around Sedona. Nothing hard core and no rock crawling just some worn out trails to get away from the crowds. So I'm looking for a tire that performs well as a daily driver, good wet traction for monsoon season and works well in a desert off road environment (sand, rocks and such)

Those of you with either of these tires what do you think? Which is better for this? I like the look of the bridgestones but like the kevlar in the goodyears (everything in the desert has huge thorns). Any advice is appreciated. I believe I'll be going with the 255/70R18 size.

RageOfFury 09-05-2011 10:37 PM

Re: G/Y Silent Armor or Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2?

I have the GY Wrangler Silent Armors and I absolutely love them. Killer traction! By far the best tire I've ever ran in the 10+ years of driving vehicles.

From what I've read on tirerack.com, you can't go wrong with either tire.

airborne89 09-06-2011 12:32 AM

Thanks. I went with the Silent Armor's in the 265/65R18. I still need to do the spare though, long story.

RageOfFury 09-07-2011 05:24 PM

Great choice!:thumbsup:

and welcome!:wavey:

fishdaddy 09-07-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airborne89 (Post 479575)
Thanks. I went with the Silent Armor's in the 265/65R18. I still need to do the spare though, long story.

I've been happy w/ Silent Armor also, on my 2004 Overland. When I get my 2012 Ovlnd with the ORA II, I had planned to swap tires to Silent Armor 265/60R18. Don't know much about tires, but why would you change to 265/65 instead of the original size tire? Seems like you throw off your odometer and speedometer by 3% and your existing spare doesn't match your new tires in size. Is there a compensating advantage to the larger tire?

DamonP 10-24-2011 12:19 PM

Hi Airborne, Any suspension flex issues or bump-stop turn rubbing issues with stock suspension? also did you mount the spare with Silent Armor 265/65/18 as well? if so, any fitment issues with the hatch cover or jack?

Terminator2 10-24-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airborne89 (Post 479158)
I'm getting ready to swap tires on my new GC Larado X. It has the Hemi and I will also be swapping out the wheels. I've tried searching but am still confused between which of the two tires to go with.

Most of my driving, 80%, is to and from work but I like to hit the trails around me and up around Sedona. Nothing hard core and no rock crawling just some worn out trails to get away from the crowds. So I'm looking for a tire that performs well as a daily driver, good wet traction for monsoon season and works well in a desert off road environment (sand, rocks and such)

Those of you with either of these tires what do you think? Which is better for this? I like the look of the bridgestones but like the kevlar in the goodyears (everything in the desert has huge thorns). Any advice is appreciated. I believe I'll be going with the 255/70R18 size.

Why not 275/65/18s instead as they are the same height but a good inch or so wider which will provide you with a wider contact patch and greater flotation? I see a lot of people running 245/70/17s and 245/75/17s on 9 inch wide wheels which to me makes little sense because the recommended rim width is 6.5-7.5". If you are going with a wider than stock wheel use a wider than stock tire.

SpecOps 11-14-2011 07:02 PM

I had the silent armors on my Ram 4x4...loved them! comes time to replace tires on my '11 GC...they will be high on my list.

DrakeRide55 11-15-2011 10:37 PM

I have the G/Y Silent Armors on my winter 18's. Great tires, ride well. Very happy with my purchase.

Ernest 12-10-2011 11:00 AM

Just traded my Lattitudes to Discount Tire for the 265/65/18 Silent Armors. I really like the way they look, and they seem to be almost as quiet as the Michelins. No clearance issues whatsoever. They are a snug fit in the spare compartment, however, and I could get only one bin to fit back in there and fully close the lid. The tire also fits on the 7" stock spare rim, which is a definite plus.

I really like the fact that they are a year-round tire, carrying the mountain/snowflake symbol of a winter tire, which eliminates the extra expense of winter tires and wheels and annual tire changes

4th Cherokee 12-10-2011 07:07 PM

Purchased a set of 265/60/18 Revo 2 from my
Newengland winter commute. Awesome tire

DH07 12-22-2011 09:26 PM

I think both tires are great, with the Silent Armor's tilted in favor of snow traction and the Revo's towards road manners.

I have the Revo's on my WJ (Revo 1). They have been a great tire, especially in wet conditions. They are ok in the snow - neither confidence inspiring nor scary. I would say they are predictable. I have had them for 30k miles and the tread is wearing well.

I just got Silent Armors for the WK2. Great looking tire, more aggressive than the Revo's, but too soon to tell much else. Looking forward to the snow! One thing I will say is that it seems I am having trouble balancing them as I get a minor vibration in the steering wheel around 70mph. However after reading through this forum, it appears that any number of issues may be to blame (I have the Hemi) besides the tire...