Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Brake caliper slide pins (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/brake-caliper-slide-pins-28156.html)

wcjr 09-06-2011 07:44 AM

Brake caliper slide pins

Just picked up a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7.
I was looking for the service book and at 60k miles it says to lube brake caliper slide pins. I went out and looked at the Jeep and cant say that I know exactly what it is talking about. Does anyone have a picture of the said pins?

Drew 09-06-2011 07:54 AM

Re: Brake caliper slide pins

You have to pull/unbolt the caliper to see them. If you remove the wheel and look at the brakes, the caliper bolts into the slide pins. The slide pins are behind the rubber boots. Typically, you lube the slide pins when you do the brakes.

Sorry, no pics at the moment but if you remove one of the front wheels it will make sense.

wcjr 09-06-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 479639)
You have to pull/unbolt the caliper to see them. If you remove the wheel and look at the brakes, the caliper bolts into the slide pins. The slide pins are behind the rubber boots. Typically, you lube the slide pins when you do the brakes.

Sorry, no pics at the moment but if you remove one of the front wheels it will make sense.

So the caliper has to be removed to grease the slide pins? According to the service manual this needs to be done front and back at 60k miles.

TJXJWJ 09-06-2011 10:25 AM

Yes...it's a little ridiculous if you ask me. You should do it, I'm not going to recommend otherwise, but that's something I wait until I'm doing brakes, or at least rotating tires. To disassemble just to lube a part that (worst case) can be replaced for a few dollars seems like a bit much. It's not hard, it's just a PITA. I'm willing to bet most vehicles go their entire lives without this being done at all.

Again, I'd still do it, I just don't know how concerned about getting it in at 60k you really need to be.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-06-2011 12:08 PM

I only do it when i change the pads

wcjr 09-06-2011 09:20 PM

Does anyone have a pictures of the pins? As I have never taken the calipers off before I want to make sure that I do it correctly. Is there any special tool need to remove the rear calipers? The book doesnt say but I would guess the pins are on all four corners.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-06-2011 09:24 PM

take off the wheel and look at the back of the caliper, there are two bolts (10mm if i remember correctly) take them out and they are the pins. no reason to mess with them if you arent having problems or not changing the pads

wcjr 09-07-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 480100)
take off the wheel and look at the back of the caliper, there are two bolts (10mm if i remember correctly) take them out and they are the pins. no reason to mess with them if you arent having problems or not changing the pads

preventive maintenance :)

So the caliper doesnt actually have to be removed then? Just remove the two bolts on the back side of the caliper

Scottina06 09-07-2011 10:29 PM

cant you see the slide pins on top of the caliper? I lube my Brembo slide pins about once a year and they can be done easily by laying on the ground and manuevering under the jeep.

TJXJWJ 09-08-2011 06:39 AM

I know that on my WJ, you have to remove the caliper. The pins on mine are mounted in the bracket that the caliper mounts to...so that bracket (with pins) comes out, goes over to the work bench, gets cleaned up, pins lubed, then re-installed. You DO NOT need to remove the pads from the caliper or the rotor from the vehicle, but you do need to unbolt the caliper and mounting bracket. I don't remember if my wife's WK is any different than my WJ...I don't think it is, but don't quote me.

Drew 09-08-2011 09:51 AM

WJ pins are different, and in my opinion the WJ has a MUCH better setup.

It's really an easy job to do, but totally unnecessary if not doing brakes. Just need to take the initiative to pull the wheel and look at it...lol.

wcjr 09-08-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 481002)
WJ pins are different, and in my opinion the WJ has a MUCH better setup.

It's really an easy job to do, but totally unnecessary if not doing brakes. Just need to take the initiative to pull the wheel and look at it...lol.

Well I'm going to be rotating the wheels soon anyways so I figured I would knock it out at the same time.