Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   WeatherTech Floor Mats (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/weathertech-floor-mats-28157.html)

markp99 09-06-2011 09:36 AM

WeatherTech Floor Mats

My new WeatherTech floor mats arrived this week.

A few observations:

Good:

1. Texture is better than the Husky mats in my old Jeep. A little more "rubbery" and tactile - good!

2. Material quality is very good; they look VERY NICE in my new Jeep

Not So Good:

1. The fit seems to be slight off in my Jeep. I expected the "laser fit" mats to be ~perfect~ out of the box

- a. The detent hole spacing in the driver's mat did not match the hooks on the driver-side floor. Spacing was 1/2 inch too narrow. I needed to deform the floor mat to properly accept the hooks. Not a biggie in the the end; the material is soft enough to accept the deformation without any noticeable buckling.

- b. After install, there is a buckle in the side wall in the area of the gas pedal. Thankfully does not obstruct the pedal action or my foot.

- c. There were other gaps along the top edges and door jams on driver and passenger side that I guess I expected to be a tight and conforming fit. I can easily stick my pinky finger into some of these gaps.

2. The WeatherTech badge/logo on the driver's mat was loose in the box, and STUCK to the paper installation/instructions sheet. I could not remove the instructions from the badge without leaving paper residue behind on the adhesive (about 1/3 of the adhesive backing is now "un-sticky"). I did apply the badge to the proper location on the mat, and it appears to be "stuck" well enough. We'll see how it weathers.

I figured some of the FIT issue would go away after the mats "relaxed" a bit once installed. After a long weekend with nice warm temps, the buckle near the gas pedal remains about the same, and the other gaps look to be about the same. Oh well.

None of the issues are a deal breaker for these mats. My NUMBER ONE concern was the material of the mats. The rubber/tactile feel of these mats is very nice. Glad not to see the same "plastic" feel of my old husky mats.

ljramsey 09-06-2011 10:16 AM

Re: WeatherTech Floor Mats

I too have the DigitalFit mats for my '11 GC Overland. Previously I had DigitalFit mats in my Toyota Tundra and had the same fit issues you describe. The fit in my Jeep is as close to perfect as can be expected. Maybe your mats came off of a different mold, certainly worth calling Weather Tech.

faust 09-06-2011 10:34 AM

mine fit perfect on 11 GC overland Both front and back mats.

BuckeyeSRT 09-06-2011 11:42 AM

When we got them for my wifes car we had fit issues and called them. They sent us a new replacement that fit perfectly. For 100+ they should fit perfectly.

hammer1234 09-06-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp99 (Post 479663)
My new WeatherTech floor mats arrived this week.

A few observations:

Good:

1. Texture is better than the Husky mats in my old Jeep. A little more "rubbery" and tactile - good!

2. Material quality is very good; they look VERY NICE in my new Jeep

Not So Good:

1. The fit seems to be slight off in my Jeep. I expected the "laser fit" mats to be ~perfect~ out of the box

- a. The detent hole spacing in the driver's mat did not match the hooks on the driver-side floor. Spacing was 1/2 inch too narrow. I needed to deform the floor mat to properly accept the hooks. Not a biggie in the the end; the material is soft enough to accept the deformation without any noticeable buckling.

- b. After install, there is a buckle in the side wall in the area of the gas pedal. Thankfully does not obstruct the pedal action or my foot.

- c. There were other gaps along the top edges and door jams on driver and passenger side that I guess I expected to be a tight and conforming fit. I can easily stick my pinky finger into some of these gaps.

2. The WeatherTech badge/logo on the driver's mat was loose in the box, and STUCK to the paper installation/instructions sheet. I could not remove the instructions from the badge without leaving paper residue behind on the adhesive (about 1/3 of the adhesive backing is now "un-sticky"). I did apply the badge to the proper location on the mat, and it appears to be "stuck" well enough. We'll see how it weathers.

I figured some of the FIT issue would go away after the mats "relaxed" a bit once installed. After a long weekend with nice warm temps, the buckle near the gas pedal remains about the same, and the other gaps look to be about the same. Oh well.

None of the issues are a deal breaker for these mats. My NUMBER ONE concern was the material of the mats. The rubber/tactile feel of these mats is very nice. Glad not to see the same "plastic" feel of my old husky mats.

I have the same fit issues...and the badge/logo came off of the driver's side front mat.

I just sent an e-mail asking for advice on the fit problems.

I'm still pretty happy with the mats but the fit/quality isn't quite what I would have expected given what I paid for them. In hindsight I would have liked to have had another option for the greystone interior...

markp99 09-06-2011 12:45 PM

Good idea. Just sent a note to Weathertech. Ordered from: www.kbcarstuff.com

I was in the car this morning (cool, rainy day). Some of the gaps seem to have noticeably shrunken . Makes me wonder if there is a thermal expansion thing going on - I noticed the larger gaps/buckles on a warm/hot day.

The buckling may be the simply be the result of the lengthwise expansion of the liner. Hmm.

We shall see if WT replies.

Findirman 09-06-2011 06:04 PM

Mine fit perfectly in the front, back and cargo area of my 2011 Overland. Very pleased with them.

Bob WK2 09-06-2011 10:31 PM

The fit is not as good as I expected. There are areas in the front and rear that they don't cover like Husky Liners do. Other than that they are nice looking mats although they are over priced IMO.

hammer1234 09-07-2011 06:16 AM

Word back from Mac Neil Automotive...just need to do what they suggested and see if it works.

Quote:

Thanks for your interest in Mac Neil Automotive. Try removing the mats, placing them upside down on the floor, then putting a heavy object on top overnight. This should get the liners back to normal. If this doesn’t work, please feel free to contact me.

sined240 09-07-2011 07:01 AM

The husky weatherbeather liners covers almost 99% with very good fit everywhere.

It does look initially flimsy but once you put it down and use it for a couple days, it really works well and lays down nice...

jgc4ever 01-29-2012 07:16 PM

Good job with the dead pedal. Be careful that water doesn't run down the dead pedal behind your weather tec mat is it will get trapped under there and if there's salt mixed with the snow/water it will wreck your carpet obviously. I have the same mats (in beige) and I'm using plastic under them and tape to cover the hooks and dead peal area. They are very nice mats.

Where did you get the JEEP emblems from? And what did you use for the dead pedal? Thanks.

MikeBoom 01-31-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammer1234 (Post 480250)
Word back from Mac Neil Automotive...just need to do what they suggested and see if it works.

I was going to suggest this...generally these fitment issues are a result of slight deformation during handling and are fixed by doing this.