Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Hemi lifters (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/hemi-lifters-28182.html)

tatapepek 09-06-2011 07:05 PM

Hemi lifters

Hi
Lately on cold starts my hemi is ticking until i give it same throttle and then it stops . sounds like valve lifter ,it's 2005 but still on extended warranty,should i let the the dealer mes with it at or leave it alone , sometimes is embarrassing because people think i have diesel. Is it a big job . ( 82.5 K ] on engine
Thanks
Dave

Marlin 09-06-2011 07:07 PM

Re: Hemi lifters

My bet is that you have the incorrect oil in it. Hemi is very fussy.

viking757 09-06-2011 07:08 PM

Another thing to check is your exhaust manifold bolts. One of mine was rusted and broken. I didn't notice it until I installed SRT headers but that may cause a ticking noise too

tatapepek 09-06-2011 07:34 PM

Hi
i use Mobil 5W20 all the time and the noise is metallic click just like lifter and it stops if i gave it a good rev.
Dave

Snow4Lif3 09-06-2011 08:33 PM

tatapepek : Same thing happen with my 2005 WK hemi. I hear the ticks relatively loud for 1 or 2 seconds... then I can barely hear it. Perhaps, I can hear the tick went I hit the gas pedal, windows open.

Did it began suddently or gradually ?

viking757 : Good idea, i'll check that. Perhaps, if its a manifold bolt, how can you explain that the tick is only loud during a cold startup ?

Chaoul1 09-06-2011 08:37 PM

Let the dealer take care of it. IMO

viking757 09-06-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snow4Lif3 (Post 480069)
tatapepek : Same thing happen with my 2005 WK hemi. I hear the ticks relatively loud for 1 or 2 seconds... then I can barely hear it. Perhaps, I can hear the tick went I hit the gas pedal, windows open.

Did it began suddently or gradually ?

viking757 : Good idea, i'll check that. Perhaps, if its a manifold bolt, how can you explain that the tick is only loud during a cold startup ?

Check the bolt closest to the firewall on the passenger side that's where mine was rusted and snapped. On a cold start you might hear it because the gap could be tiny then as the manifolds heat up and expand it seals it.

jeepgcoman 09-06-2011 09:37 PM

Definitely take it to a muffler shop and have them check it for leaks or a cracked manifold. The "Hemi Tick" is very common, but it is not as loud as what it sounds like you are describing. As far as how big is the job.....you have to remove the heads to get to the lifters, and that is a royal pain in the a$$. I'd bet to have it done at a dealer or shop, the labor cost alone would be well over $1000. Since you have an extended warranty, I'd definitely take it in (as much as I hate dealers) and let them do the troubleshooting and repair.....as long as it is covered. I'd verify that before letting them touch it though. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Does your MDS still work properly? Is this noise definitely a metallic tapping? It would be fairly easy to mistake a leaky exhaust manifold for a lifter ticking.

viking757 09-06-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 480106)
It would be fairly easy to mistake a leaky exhaust manifold for a lifter ticking.

x2:)

mrtosh 09-08-2011 01:50 AM

Unfortunately its a pretty common issue. Google hemi tick or Hemi lifters noise. The 5.7 lifters are known for their exceptionally fast bleed down time. Try leaving the truck for a couple days without starting it and see what it sounds like. Be like a little sewing machine. When you give it gas you are increasing oil pressure and pumping the lifters up faster. Mine makes the tick for about 10-15 seconds every morning, until the lifters pump up. I've heard quite a few people switch to 6.1 lifters but you will lose the MDS function.

Rexie1983 03-25-2013 08:26 AM

Hi All

My ticking noise stops on when its on normal temp and busy idling or when im driving and leaving the gas peddle, but as soon as i drive of and give it some gas then the ticking noise comes back. When the window is up i dont hear it, but as soon as i put the window down then i can hear the ticking noise again and the ticking goes faster as the revs go up.

4.whoa 03-25-2013 12:30 PM

run some seafoam in your oil. if your oil is clean & if you don't put in too much ,you can leave it in. if its dirty, add more and change it in about 100 miles. even if it doesn't cure it, it will help.