Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   RHR issues / Warranty errors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/rhr-issues-warranty-errors-28231.html)

jtmachen 09-07-2011 04:41 PM

RHR issues / Warranty errors

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2011 Overland Summit on 9/1/11 (last week). It is already in the shop because the RHR system has been glitching out on me. So far here is what I have noticed:
  • I turn the car on and the radio is playing fine on FM, AM, or SAT mode.
  • I select AUX and select any one of the 3 Bluetooth devices I have paired to the car, or I select the Sansa MP3 player plugged in through the center console USB connection.
  • The display shows that I am connected to the source, but there is no audio
  • I switch back to AM, FM or SAT and the radio displays that the music is playing, but there is no audio.
  • Turning the volume knob does nothing, it doesn't even show the volume indicator increasing or decreasing.
  • Turning the radio off and back on does not fix it.
  • If you completely shut down the vehicle and wait a few minutes, then turn it back on the radio functions again, but will intermittently do the same thing when you try to select an AUX input. It doesn't do it every time I choose an AUX though, sometimes it works just fine.
Has anyone else experienced this?

I brought it to a dealer today so they could see the issue. They took the car, but called me back a couple hours later saying they could not service the vehicle because my purchasing dealership didn't enter an "In service date" into some system they use called VIP. Since there was no "in service date," the warranty has technically not been activated and Chrysler will not authorize service on the car. The dealer I purchased it from says there is nothing wrong on their end with registering the purchase, so I am stuck with no one being willing to service the car. Any suggestions on what I can do?

I also bought an extended service contract through Chrysler. When I login to the Owners section of the Jeep website it shows that my sercice contact start date is 2/23/11, but I didn't purchase it until 9/1/11. I called Chrysler and they say it's because the car was previously listed "in service" in February (I bought it as new with 396 miles on it, which was the mileage on it when dealer traded with a dealer in CO and had it shipped to AZ, where I live). Chrysler also says my dealership registered my extended warranty as a used car, but it was sold to me as new, with only 396 miles on it. I am not sure what to do next.

Jason

77Cherokee 09-07-2011 05:48 PM

Re: RHR issues / Warranty errors

Sounds like your primary contact should be your selling dealership. They should have told you about the starting date of the extended warranty and given you the option to pass on it. They should also contact Chrysler concerning the activation of the manufacturer's warranty and make sure it is activated. If the service manager can't help you, ask to speak to the general manager or the owner. Next step would be the regional manager. Meanwhile call Chrysler customer service and advise them what you are doing and request their assistance with the dealer. You probably need a new radio for starters.

jtmachen 09-07-2011 06:25 PM

If the vehicle was sold as a new vehicle, shouldn't the extended warranty start the same day? Why would I be buying a 6 year warranty where 7 months worth of it is already expired upon purchase. Doesn't make sense to me. Also, the vehicle is new, not used, so I am not sure why Chrysler is saying the vehicle service contract is registered as a used Jeep WK2. They also show it was never registered previously, I am the 1st and only owner. I think the dealership that I bought it from made some mistakes, but they are saying it is entered correctly. I already wish I had not bought this. The dealership doesn't seem that concerned with it since they already made the sale, and Chrysler says that I need to go through the dealer to get it corrected. It's been a continuous circle of getting nowhere all day today.

markp99 09-07-2011 10:25 PM

On rare occasion, my RHR will play at very low volume on AM/FM/SAT. Volume knob has no effect.

Power off, then on seems to return normal volume levels. Seen on three occasions in 1 month of ownership. I am assuming just an odd glitch for the moment.

Totally 80's 09-07-2011 10:37 PM

My RHR froze twice today and did it twice a couple of weeks ago. Turning it off did nothing. The screen stayed on... Even when I opened the screen to access the CD. It finally reset itself, but the error happened again minutes later. I can't duplicate it now... Which means the dealer wont be able to either.

Also, when the Bluetooth is streaming and I want to play the cd, it won't start unless I eject the disc and reinsert it. Looks like my first oil change is going to take longer than 30 minutes. Bummer.

Aaron

Rugged Brown Summit

77Cherokee 09-08-2011 08:32 AM

JT, your dealership definitely made some mistakes. I would calmly work my way up the chain of command until you reach someone who can correct the situation. Also contact higher ups at Chrysler. Become a thorn until it is resolved. It's a shame you have to go through this but persistence should ultimately pay off.

marknj57 09-08-2011 09:00 AM

First of all I would take legal action against the selling dealer for selling you a car that was used. A new car should not have 396 miles on it, that’s just nuts.

The iPod connection freezes on my RHR unit so I just don’t hook up the IPod via USB. I use the blue tooth streaming.

Wait till you store some addresses in the Navigation address book. They will just delete them selves in about a week’s time. Happened three times so far.

I was extremely upset when I had problems with the RHR head unit but knew the crappy Jeep dealer would not fix it or even know how. I would rather just live with out hooking up the iPod via USB then take it back to a poorly trained dealer.

I am waiting for the software update and I will put it in myself.

gokart508 09-08-2011 03:12 PM

Glad i don't have the RHR....My unit has it quarks, but works well for the most part.

rich mac 09-08-2011 07:46 PM

At first I was unhappy that my Overland came with a RER (Feb '11 build), even though I did not have a use for the new feature set of the RHR. But it has been solid and works as described, with a very good nav system. Kinda glad I got the obsolete, stable radio rather than the new one with bugs. Keep the faith, new software releases will fix the bugs in the RHR.

fmcgirt 09-09-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marknj57 (Post 480981)

I am waiting for the software update and I will put it in myself.

I am waiting for the RHR update also because of iPhone connect problems. Any idea when we might expect it? I also want to do it myself. Did you go somewhere to sign up to have it mailed directly to you?

marknj57 09-09-2011 01:28 PM

No, I've been looking on the owners log in page. I noticed an update for the RER that is downloadable. I figured the RHR update would show up there.

https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

fmcgirt 09-09-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marknj57 (Post 481673)
No, I've been looking on the owners log in page. I noticed an update for the RER that is downloadable. I figured the RHR update would show up there.

https://www.jeep.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

OK, thanks. I'll keep checking there too.