Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First Off-Road Experience With WK2 4WD Hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-off-road-experience-with-wk2-4wd-hemi-28267.html)

joebuf1 09-08-2011 07:52 AM

First Off-Road Experience With WK2 4WD Hemi

So I finally took my Jeep off-road and tested out the selec-terrain system. I've had 3 Wranglers so this is my first "automatic" transfer case. So I found some loose sand and tried out the "sand/mud" setting to see how it compared to the "auto" setting.

First, the "ESC OFF" indicator lit up immediately, every time I put the selec-terrain in anything but "auto." I scoured the owner's manual and it says nothing about this. Is that normal?

Second, I got the "SERV 4WD" light twice. I restarted the ignition to clear it and it never came back, but the "ESC OFF" light remains lit anytime I select "sand/mud" or "snow." I plan on taking the car in, but I would like to know if the "ESC OFF" is something I should be worried about. Thanks for any help!

jlewissystem 09-08-2011 08:29 AM

Re: First Off-Road Experience With WK2 4WD Hemi

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebuf1 (Post 480945)
I plan on taking the car in,

I hope you get your answers, but I have to DING you for referring to your JEEP as a car :p

Richpearl 09-08-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

So I finally took my Jeep off-road and tested out the selec-terrain system. I've had 3 Wranglers so this is my first "automatic" transfer case. So I found some loose sand and tried out the "sand/mud" setting to see how it compared to the "auto" setting.

Sorry about the esc concern. Other than that, how did your JGC handle off road? How do you like its ability compared to your more off road-friendy Wranglers?

Rich

Ken Jacobs 09-08-2011 09:09 AM

The ESB off is normal. There is a TSB out to correct the service 4WD problem.

joebuf1 09-08-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richpearl (Post 480980)
Sorry about the esc concern. Other than that, how did your JGC handle off road? How do you like its ability compared to your more off road-friendy Wranglers?

Rich

Thanks to all for the help. The Wrangler definitely has a more in-tune feel to the steering and throttle response compared to the WK2. The WK2 handled great, but the feedback feels "filtered." For example, in a Wrangler when you have it in 4WD and you are negotiating a turn, you can feel the front wheels "fighting" you more through the steering wheel; you can feel the obstacles and terrain. However, the JGC WK2 is almost effortless. After yesterday I'm considering the rock rails and more aggressive tires. I've got the off road adventure II group, but after using "real" off road tires on three Wranglers I'd want the peace of mind better tires give. I'm sure the stock tires would do fine in most situations, but I still want better tires. But the JGC is awesome, and I'm looking forward to really challenging it off road!

Richpearl 09-08-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebuf1 (Post 481014)
Thanks to all for the help. The Wrangler definitely has a more in-tune feel to the steering and throttle response compared to the WK2. The WK2 handled great, but the feedback feels "filtered." For example, in a Wrangler when you have it in 4WD and you are negotiating a turn, you can feel the front wheels "fighting" you more through the steering wheel; you can feel the obstacles and terrain. However, the JGC WK2 is almost effortless. After yesterday I'm considering the rock rails and more aggressive tires. I've got the off road adventure II group, but after using "real" off road tires on three Wranglers I'd want the peace of mind better tires give. I'm sure the stock tires would do fine in most situations, but I still want better tires. But the JGC is awesome, and I'm looking forward to really challenging it off road!

Thanks, Joe. Given your experience with Wranglers, yours is very high praise for the JGC. Wishing you many carefree years and happy adventures with your new "truck".

Rich

Snipe315 09-08-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

First, the "ESC OFF" indicator lit up immediately, every time I put the selec-terrain in anything but "auto." I scoured the owner's manual and it says nothing about this. Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal.

The "ESC (Electronic Stability Control) Off" indicator illuminates whenever you are in anything other than "AUTO" mode. However, the ESC is never completely disabled or off.

jaysonf 09-08-2011 08:28 PM

I had the serv 4wd light come on when i off road miles away from anywhere one weekend. Unfortunately i was out in the sand and no matter how many times i reset the car and rang jeep assist nothing could be done.

I got stuck for a night and had to get towed out the next morning, once on sealed roads the light then decided to go away and 4wd returned.

Got the TSB done, havent been 4wd since, still a bit worried about being stuck again.