Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   5.7l wk engine removal ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/5-7l-wk-engine-removal-28269.html)

svt393 09-08-2011 08:25 AM

5.7l wk engine removal ?

Hello everyone i just got my first 5.7l wk and sold my wj . I purchased the WK with a blown motor ( piston was hitting the valve and caused some carnage so the motor is shot) . Im going to get a junk yard 5.7 and throw it in . Im pretty mechanically inclined and i have pulled many motors and worked on many cars. Anyone have any tips ?

How are these engines to pull ?

Should i leave the tranny in and just pull the motor ?

i searched but are there Any write ups ?

Should i change anything while i have it out ? Hopefully i can find a set of srt headers ie: manifolds

any help would be great !

2005JGC 09-08-2011 10:40 AM

Re: 5.7l wk engine removal ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt393 (Post 480965)
Hello everyone i just got my first 5.7l wk and sold my wj . I purchased the WK with a blown motor ( piston was hitting the valve and caused some carnage so the motor is shot) . Im going to get a junk yard 5.7 and throw it in . Im pretty mechanically inclined and i have pulled many motors and worked on many cars. Anyone have any tips ?

Sweet, that is how I became the owner of mine... although my 4.7l just needed a headgasket.

Quote:

How are these engines to pull ?

I have yet to pull a 5.7l longblock but I would imagine its not too different from a 4.7l which I have. In all not terrible.

Quote:

Should i leave the tranny in and just pull the motor ?

Yes.

Quote:

i searched but are there Any write ups ?

1: Remove the strut tower support.
2: Remove the engine cover.
3: Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release procedure.
4: Disconnect the battery negative cable.
5: Remove the air cleaner resonator and duct work as an assembly
6: Drain cooling system.
7: Remove the accessory drive belt.
8: Remove radiator fan shroud.
9: Remove the A/C compressor with the lines attached. Secure compressor out of the way.

10: Remove generator assembly.
11: Remove the intake manifold and IAFM as an assembly.
12: Remove the ground wires from the rear of each cylinder head.
13: Disconnect the heater hoses

NOTE: It is not necessary to disconnect P/S hoses from pump, for P/S pump removal.

14: Remove the power steering pump and set aside.
15: Disconnect the fuel supply line.
16: Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist and drain the engine oil.
17: Remove engine front mount to frame bolts and nuts.
18: Disconnect the transmission oil cooler lines from their retainers at the oil pan bolts.
19: Disconnect exhaust pipe at manifolds. (personal note, when loosening these, ALWAYS use penetrant, and ALWAYS go tighter first then loosen them up this way you break them free from the nut before you relieve all the pressure... 70% of the time it works every time ;) )
20: Disconnect the starter wires. Remove starter motor.
21: Remove the structural dust cover.
22: Remove drive plate to converter bolts.
23: Remove the oil pan to transmission bolts.
24: Remove transmission bell housing to engine block bolts (2).
25: Lower the vehicle.
26: Install engine lift fixture, special tool # 8984 and 8984-UPD.
27: Separate engine from transmission, remove engine from vehicle, and install engine assembly on a repair stand.

here is what the special tool lift fixture fits like:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../121941906.gif

When installing the "structural dust cover" run the vertical and horizontal bolts in until they just snug the cover up on the engine and trans then tighten otherwise you can damage the cover.

Quote:

Should i change anything while i have it out ? Hopefully i can find a set of srt headers ie: manifolds

any help would be great !

I am sure there will be some aftermarket suggestions by others, personally I would replace every external seal and gasket with a mopar parts. There may be other seal suggestions by others but personally I know mopar works well and I cannot say that about others. If you get the srt manifolds or not, replace the exhaust manifold hardware... mostly a problem on the 4.7l but the rear bolts like to break, I have seen it on the hemi too. For the bellhousing bolts I personally use a 3' 3/8th drive extension and my trusty 3/8ths impact and run the extension over the top of the trans (kinda from the side).

Im sure there is something I am overlooking, just be methodical and it will be a pretty smooth operation.

svt393 09-08-2011 12:04 PM

Awsome thanx this is exactly what i was looking for ....

Im just going to replace the below items on the junk yard while i have it out :

Plugs
Wires
Pcv
Serp belt
oil & filter
Exhaust manifold hardware

2005JGC 09-08-2011 12:11 PM

Yep, very good!

05WK 09-08-2011 12:44 PM

Egr?

svt393 09-08-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 481113)
Egr?

Im going to check it out the guy said he just replaced that .

Does anyone know if switching to the taylor shorties wires is just as simple as swaping out wires or does somthing special have to be done .. It just has so much cleaner of a look

05WK 09-08-2011 01:11 PM

If you dont mind me asking, how much were you able to snag this WK for??

ekaz 09-08-2011 02:41 PM

Depending on miles, might want to do the timing set. The block would be easier to pull if you take the heads off.

svt393 10-10-2011 05:49 PM

WELL got the engine in and took a weekend with alot of breaks and beer. I got a engine with 60k complete and even had a wiring harness and ecu so it was ready to drop in although i did change the plugs to factory champions. The hardest part was putting the mid pipe on and getting all the o2 sensors plugged back in . I didnt have the special engine lift tool so i had a big tow straps looped around the motor mounts and worked out pretty well . THe intake has to come off and the radiator and support must be unbolted and moved forward to squeeze it in .

All in all if i had to do it again it can be done less time.

jenabaker 11-06-2012 08:32 PM

We are removing a 3.7 and having a problem getting this off, any suggestions as to what might be in the way of this coming off?

Milous 11-06-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenabaker (Post 707862)

We are removing a 3.7 and having a problem getting this off, any suggestions as to what might be in the way of this coming off?

1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Remove the left hand exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold.
3. Loosen the right hand exhaust manifold-to-exhaust pipe retaining bolts.
4. Remove the eight bolts (1, 2, and 3) retaining structural cover in the sequence shown.
5. Pivot the exhaust pipe downward and remove the structural cover.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Structural_cover_3.7L.jpg