Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rear Seat question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rear-seat-question-28274.html)

ajs800 09-08-2011 10:20 AM

Rear Seat question

Close to picking up a wk2 and I had a question regarding the back seat. I forgot to measure the last one I drove, but would the "rear hip room" dimension basically be the width of the bench? The specs list it at 56.2"

I am trying to see if it's possible to place two carseats and booster across the back. I know they will fit, but I'm trying to get a better idea how comfortable and easy it will be. We have a dedicated vehicle already, but it would be nice to be able to use the jeep with the three kids as well. I plan to test it out the next time I drive one, but figured I'd throw out here as well and to see if anyone else has a similar situation.

olamaca 09-08-2011 11:21 AM

Re: Rear Seat question

You'll have plenty of room. We use one car seat and a booster and an adult can sit between the too comfortably without battling with the seat belt latch.

ajs800 09-08-2011 12:04 PM

great...thanks.

12167jeep 09-08-2011 05:52 PM

I was thinkin " damn! Thats my kinda woman!" Then i got to paragraph 2 :(

ajs800 09-08-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12167jeep (Post 481245)

haha :thumbsup:

Jdsmitty10 03-20-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs800 (Post 481015)
Close to picking up a wk2 and I had a question regarding the back seat. I forgot to measure the last one I drove, but would the "rear hip room" dimension basically be the width of the bench? The specs list it at 56.2"

I am trying to see if it's possible to place two carseats and booster across the back. I know they will fit, but I'm trying to get a better idea how comfortable and easy it will be. We have a dedicated vehicle already, but it would be nice to be able to use the jeep with the three kids as well. I plan to test it out the next time I drive one, but figured I'd throw out here as well and to see if anyone else has a similar situation.

how did you get yours to fit? I will be installing 3 car seats in the back of mine the day i pick it up. I shouldn't have a problem(i installed 3 across my narrower tacoma), just checking to see how it went for you?
thanks

rotaryzz 03-20-2012 01:06 PM

Can anyone confirm how many child seat anchor points are there in the back seat? Know for sure there are a pair for each of the outboard position, just not sure if there is a corresponding pair for the middle seat as well. Ideally it should have 6 anchor points -one for each seat position at the back.

bigjgcfan 03-20-2012 02:03 PM

According to the 2012 JGC Owners Manual-

Only 4 LATCH anchorages... for the 2 outboard seats.

None in the middle where you must use the seat belt for a center mounting.

But, all 3 spots do have the Top Tether Strap anchorages on the seat back behind the carpet floor panel.

AAAA 03-20-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12167jeep (Post 481245)

He would need QL to level the load.

rotaryzz 03-20-2012 02:59 PM

>all 3 spots do have the Top Tether Strap anchorages on the seat back behind the carpet floor panel.

Top tether strap mount can never be relied upon as a strong enough anchorage for your child seat. it's only supplementary.

Suther 03-20-2012 03:19 PM

Hey everybody,

We have two kids seats and one booster in the third row (ages 3, 6 & 9). There is lots of space, however buckling the kids up is a real pain. We found Chrysler seatbelt extenders (around $30) which help a lot. I don't use the latches, as we (Germans) don't have them on kids seats.

Hope that helps
Alex

Jdsmitty10 03-20-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 597220)
Hey everybody,

We have two kids seats and one booster in the third row (ages 3, 6 & 9). There is lots of space, however buckling the kids up is a real pain. We found Chrysler seatbelt extenders (around $30) which help a lot. I don't use the latches, as we (Germans) don't have them on kids seats.

Hope that helps
Alex

Nice to hear this. I have 3 kids 3.5 and under. Planning on keeping them in 5 pt harness seats til 60 pounds which should be a good couple years even for my 3.5 yr old daughter. She's only 30 ish pounds now. So I am hoping with out needing to mess with seatbelts(other than installing the seats) I should be good to go. Its tight in my Tacoma but not needing to reach between seats is nice and easy.