Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Device control for USB connected Droid X (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/device-control-for-usb-connected-droid-x-28292.html)

Skier95746 09-08-2011 11:02 PM

Device control for USB connected Droid X

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and can see from browsing some of the earlier posts that a lot of you have experience connecting Droid devices to some of the various UConnect systems. I have a Droid X (Android 2.3.3) that works well via bluetooth with the 730N (RHR) in my WK2 (both phone and streaming audio). My question is around expected behavior when I connect the phone via the USB ports. If I change the USB Connection to Mass Storage mode, I can browse folders on the phone and play music that way, but I was hoping there is a way to directly control the device through the UConnect screen similar to how I'm able to with an iPod Touch. If I try changing the USB connection mode on the phone to something other than Mass Storage, UConnect no longer recognizes that it is connected to a USB device.

Does this sound "right" or have any of you had success directly controlling your music through UConnect with a Droid?

Thanks,
Eric

Andrew Klossner 09-09-2011 02:51 PM

Re: Device control for USB connected Droid X

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skier95746 (Post 481405)
I was hoping there is a way to directly control the device through the UConnect screen similar to how I'm able to with an iPod Touch.

In general, there isn't. The iPod control uses a USB protocol that's specific to Apple products.

You might be able to find an Android app that mimics those protocols. But I don't think it would give you much more functionality than using the phone in mass storage connection mode.

Skier95746 09-13-2011 05:30 PM

Okay, thanks Andrew - good to know. My older iPod Nano doesn't work either, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end. Since then, I've connected a newer iPod Touch everything works as it should.

Cheers,
Eric

thinkingjeep 09-14-2011 05:10 PM

I have a Droid X with 730N RHR and it works similar to yours. One question... if you switch to USB Mass Storage mode through USB, can you browse pictures on your phone through the 730N system? Mine does not do this. Just wondering if there is something wrong with my system.

Thanks,

Andrew Klossner 09-15-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkingjeep (Post 484651)
if you switch to USB Mass Storage mode through USB, can you browse pictures on your phone through the 730N system?

Does that work when you connect the phone to a PC? (I don't know where Android stores photos.)

thinkingjeep 09-15-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 485062)
Does that work when you connect the phone to a PC? (I don't know where Android stores photos.)

Yes, It's in a sub folder called DCIM. I read on another post that I must have at least 1 mp3 file on my usb storage for the system to recognize pictures. I'll give it a try when I get home and let you know if it works.