Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Mod Squad 2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/mod-squad-2-a-28306.html)

moosehead 09-09-2011 10:38 AM

Mod Squad 2

Per Verbalkint's good suggestion to get away from the food fight, thought to re-start a mod thread for SRT8 WK2.

Soooo, ignoring cost, here's a few of my theoretical mod priorities, many of which come over from my WK2 Overland:

1) Performance. First Solve the ETC lag. Hopefully the 2011 SRT8 has less of one vs. the WK2, which is my only real complaint about the 2011. Not sure if the tuners will be required, or if there is another workaround. Ideas? Either way, feels like we're all waiting on the tuners

2) Borla Exhaust. Look it up in the dictionary = mean. Love mine, and per other's reports of a muted exhaust note, I'd want the 2012 SRT8 to have the Borla muscle growl. I also would want to make the rear pipes more pronounced by having the brushed chrome and a bit more extention from the rear fascia. YMMV.

3) CAI. See the WK2 exhaust forum for intake temps off the Bwoody. It is not as much an issue for me in cooler CO. Either way, the stock system is a ton of baffling and angles, there has got to be a better breather. Mopar?

3) Aesthetics. They are growing on me and the new photos from the test drives and reviews are great. Definitely body color paint the rear liftgate chrome (Scott did this for my WK2) and same for lower rear fascia, same for foglight bezels. Maybe leave the grill bezels. I'd still like to move the front LED's down off the bumper into the fog openings, but need to live with it for a bit first.

4) Wheels. Tough call, but I would put a 20" set of Blizzaks on the stock set for snow romping and hope to fit either a 22" SRT8 rep or 22" WK2 Overland for street season. Acknowledge fitment issues around the brembos and rotors. No way I would garage queen this vehicle during CO winter, but realize this is in the minority.

The other stuff is relatively minor. Hopefully the HK system has a different subwoofer enclosure than the WK2 plastic bedpan (Chryco) which would mitigate any needs for stereo upgrades.

Whatchu got?

Schleprock 09-09-2011 10:49 AM

Re: Mod Squad 2

Ralph said that a CAI will probably show no benefits. The airbox design for the Jeep 392 is fairly non-restrictive and it pulls from down in the fenderwell, thus is already cool.

VerbalKint 09-09-2011 11:01 AM

I was wondering whether the CAI would add anything. Thanks Schleprock!

I was also wondering how difficult it would be to body color the chrome on the rear lift gate. Does anyone have pictures of this and a description of how it was done?

I'm not sure if anything will be immediately available, but I would possibly like to get clear tail lights. I've seen a few poor quality lenses, so it would depend.

I think body coloring the chrome piece and less red will help clean up the look of the rear.

Scottina06 09-09-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 481574)
Ralph said that a CAI will probably show no benefits. The airbox design for the Jeep 392 is fairly non-restrictive and it pulls from down in the fenderwell, thus is already cool.

all engineers say that....

not trying to open a debate on cai's either.....LOL

Scottina06 09-09-2011 11:02 AM

DECHROMING....will be my first mod

moosehead 09-09-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerbalKint (Post 481585)
....I think body coloring the chrome piece and less red will help clean up the look of the rear.

+1, those rear lenses are pretty big to leave 'em without tint.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_0489.jpg

Schleprock 09-09-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 481586)
all engineers say that....

not trying to open a debate on cai's either.....LOL

CAIs are worthless without a good tune or additional major power adders anyway. People who just slap on a CAI and think they feel power, are just getting a placebo effect.

MikeH 09-09-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 481592)
CAIs are worthless without a lot of stickers. People who just slap on a CAI and think they feel power, are just getting a placebo effect.

There, I fixed your post :p

Scottina06 09-09-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 481592)
CAIs are worthless without a good tune or additional major power adders anyway. People who just slap on a CAI and think they feel power, are just getting a placebo effect.

I said no debate...you are right...but not 100% of the time. I would say during an occasional highway run with a true CAI...there are some benefits. But just general driving...your right.

bosquemdh 09-09-2011 12:38 PM

I'm totally the guy that buys the CAI so when I open the hood it looks better than just a generic piece of plastic. Something about the Mopar aftermarket ones just looks awesome! I mean I like the idea of more power and better fuel efficiency don't get me wrong. But the look is my favorite part. That being said I haven't tuned my cars to compensate for the better air flow so I may be missing out on the real treat of CAI.

moosehead 09-09-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosquemdh (Post 481646)
I'm totally the guy that buys the CAI so when I open the hood it looks better than just a generic piece of plastic.....

Form over function? Who would do such a thing?

Oh, wait.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_0318.jpg

VerbalKint 09-09-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 481589)
+1, those rear lenses are pretty big to leave 'em without tint.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_0489.jpg

Moosehead, Is that your jeep??? The tail lights look great! Was color matching the chrome difficult? Did you do it yourself?