Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Crazy Transmission (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/crazy-transmission-28326.html)

SupWiz17 09-09-2011 09:48 PM

Crazy Transmission

I have been doing a lot of reading about these crazy transmissions in these Jeeps. I dont have the lag problem when I start it in the morning like many do and it doesnt clunk into gear on me. What my transmission does do that really bothers me though is that sometimes when Im driving between 40 and 55mph and give the jeep a little gas like just minimal pressure to accelerate and then let off the transmission or engine or differentials or something! under there clunks or bangs or does something. Then if I try to repeat it right away it wont happen again usually until I come to a stop and get up to speed again.

Is there a common fix for this? If I tried to record it I wouldnt pick up any noise as its not very loud like it would be if the bushings or mounts were worn out. Sometimes I think it is the mds kicking on and the engine mounts are slightly moving? I dunno. The other thing I was thinking is that Im pretty sure that this transmission has an electronic torque convertor and what Im feeling is the convertor locking up but the electric motor is forcing it to lock up at full force and thats why I feel it. Then the computer learns and realizes that it doesnt need to lock it up again at that much force.

The transmission fluid was changed somewhat recently. I dont know exact miles as the previous owner did it. The fluid is at the proper level as I have checked that and will check it again. I was thinking though that it probably wouldnt hurt to change it again. I was thinking maybe some pressure was building up in the filters? This seems to be a pretty common complaint though with these engines and transmissions but Im hoping there is a fix because I dont like having to try to avoid it while driving.

I have a 2005 grand cherokee with the hemi and 80k miles.

robpp 09-09-2011 09:55 PM

Re: Crazy Transmission

check the front diff mounts.

SupWiz17 09-10-2011 04:46 PM

I just watched the youtube videos with the loose front difs and I have never heard anything like that on my Jeep while I was going through the gears like P to D, R, or N but I will still get under there to take a look

SupWiz17 09-10-2011 04:47 PM

Could it be the MDS turning on and off? I was thinking today that it could be from such a lose in power once it turns the MDS on that the car is almost falling on its face. I am assuming that half the engine working means half the power

viking757 09-10-2011 07:35 PM

When my front diff isolator bushings were in the early stages of going bad it would occasionally make like a click-clack noise at those speeds like you described. Then as they got worse with time it started to clunk out of PRND

dr.lee.baugh 09-10-2011 08:24 PM

Could be torque converter locking/disengaging.

SupWiz17 09-11-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 482369)
Could be torque converter locking/disengaging.

I will check the front bushings because that seems like such a common issue but this is what I really think it is. I think that sometimes it doesnt know if it should lock up or not. Is there anyway to change this?

dr.lee.baugh 09-12-2011 08:00 AM

Not that I know of. I've known a few people that have taken their 545RFEs to the dealer with this exact complaint, and they are always told it is a "normal" operating characteristic.

With mine, sometimes I feel something similar, sometimes I don't. I've just learned to live with it - it's done it as far back as I can remember and now has over 150,000 miles. Nothing has blown up yet!

SupWiz17 09-12-2011 08:57 PM

Yeah from what I have heard too it is just normal operation. Its not like it is bad but I just notice it. I like hearing that you have 150k miles on it though lol.

I did notice this weekend that I took it out for a little highway ride (about 2 hours total) which I really havent dont yet and it seemed to calm it down alot. Not only did I get some good gas mileage but I think I did a good job of burning some garbage off in the engine and really getting some fluid moving in the trans. I really think that a fluid change and a good seafoaming of the engine will make a difference.

H2rescue 09-12-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking757 (Post 482344)
When my front diff isolator bushings were in the early stages of going bad it would occasionally make like a click-clack noise at those speeds like you described. Then as they got worse with time it started to clunk out of PRND

Not meaning to jack the thread.

How many miles were on your Jeep when they stated to go bad? Did you replace them yourself or dealer?

viking757 09-12-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2rescue (Post 483634)
Not meaning to jack the thread.

How many miles were on your Jeep when they stated to go bad? Did you replace them yourself or dealer?

I had ~80k when I noticed the occasional symptoms. I didn't really pay much attention to it until it started getting really worse around 95k. I did the work myself. I'm posting off my phone but if you search the posts I started it's entitled "no more clunks" or something and all the info you need should be linked in there.

SupWiz17 09-13-2011 08:37 PM

I got 81k miles now. So maybe its just like your situation. My symptoms are still random now but could get worse with time. How difficult is it to replace that 3 bushing that is built into the bracket?