Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   smart beam and auto dimming lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/smart-beam-and-auto-dimming-lights-28386.html)

turner1 09-11-2011 09:25 AM

smart beam and auto dimming lights

could someone explain to me how the smartbeam function and auto dimming head lights work on my wk ?:wtf:

kyle.jg 09-11-2011 09:52 AM

Re: smart beam and auto dimming lights

I believe it uses the same sensor that turns on/off your regular lights, but can tell if it's super dark and will turn on your high beams, if there's no on coming traffic or someone in front of you.

I thought I turned mine on before, but coming back from my vacation at night, I didn't notice my high beams turning on when no one was around me. So maybe I'm wrong.

And I believe auto-dimming is only in your mirrors, to help with those morons who like to drive behind you with their high beams on.

turner1 09-11-2011 10:34 AM

ok thanks

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-11-2011 11:47 AM

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_smartbeam.htm

turner1 09-11-2011 12:50 PM

it says to enable the smartbeam setup you have to go to the vehicle control center and activate it there. i have scaned through there before and never saw that option. i know that i have the right mirror because i can see the small camera on the back side of the mirror, so what is it that im doing wrong?

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-11-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turner1 (Post 482716)
it says to enable the smartbeam setup you have to go to the vehicle control center and activate it there. i have scaned through there before and never saw that option. i know that i have the right mirror because i can see the small camera on the back side of the mirror, so what is it that im doing wrong?

Smartbeam is a large box that is attached to the back of the mirror. You probably saw the light sensor for the autodim mirror.

turner1 09-11-2011 02:42 PM

yaa thats what i saw

suzieque 09-11-2011 03:00 PM

you have too:
1) enable it in the EVIC
2) push the blinker (signal light) arm forward
3) set your headlights also have to be on "auto" on the blinker (signal light) arm

now, when you are driving over the speed of 20 mph (?), the and there are no cars or bright lights in front of you, the headlights will go to high beam.

My wife was pissed at first trying to get it to work because she wants to control the high beams, so you have to turn off the "auto" on the blinker (signal light) arm and move the blinker (signal light) arm back to its normal position and the high beam control returns to the driver.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-11-2011 03:09 PM

i had smartbeam for one night and i hated it so i sold it.

iwearpumas 11-14-2012 01:02 AM

I have yet to see mines actually work. I live in NYC, so would that be the reason, being that we have lights on every corner?

SvenskaJeepGuy 11-14-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwearpumas (Post 710884)
I have yet to see mines actually work. I live in NYC, so would that be the reason, being that we have lights on every corner?

it is only functional on the highway, it is useless for urban driving

HemiDawg 11-15-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 482796)
My wife was pissed at first trying to get it to work because she wants to control the high beams, so you have to turn off the "auto" on the blinker (signal light) arm and move the blinker (signal light) arm back to its normal position and the high beam control returns to the driver.

Hmm, my 2010 does not have the "auto" button on the signal stalk (that I remember). I think all I have to do is activate it in EVIC and then push the stalk forward to activate the hi-beams and then it takes over. Turn off by deactivating hi-beams.

I have mixed feelings with mine - biggest issue is that it does not switch the hi-beams off fast enough so I end up blinding oncoming traffic.