Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Alpine HU (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/alpine-hu-28397.html)

Sarge137 09-11-2011 02:39 PM

Alpine HU

Taking the advice of some of the long standing members, I'm going to ask here first. Within the next month or two I would like to install the INA-910 HU in my 07 GC. Has anyone any experience with this unit and thoughts on any install problems ? I do understand that a special harness is required and I believe its called a lockpick to operate some features while moving, and I will require the doubleDIN bezel. Right now I have the basic factory HU and speakers but, I will install the Alpine HU and my Infinity Sub/integrated amp.

JMLoughrey 09-11-2011 11:25 PM

Re: Alpine HU

On the aftermarket deck you will not need a lockpick. The lockpick is used on factory nav decks.

You will need a nav bezel, dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. The harness will depend on what system you have in the vehicle now. *The base stereo and the B/A stereo use difference harnesses.

Alpine makes a nice nav headunit. The only problem i've seen with them over the years is lack of support for navigation mapping. Ive had severl customers with older alpine in dash nav units that are just S.O.L for maps after 5 years. Thats why i personally had went with a kenwood because of the garmin navigation interface. (its also easy to bypass the parking break) The alpine requires an E-Brake hookup as well as a Brake pedal hook up for proper functionality.

Can it be tricked, yes, can i tell you how, i'd rather not, just because in all honesty, It only takes a split second the Ruin an entire family, beit yours or somebody elses. Not to mention, in CT, i've had several people come through with fairly large fines for having there navigation unit bypassed.

ChrisL1976 09-12-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 483040)
Not to mention, in CT, i've had several people come through with fairly large fines for having there navigation unit bypassed.

Do you mean having the video bypassed, not the navigation.

swing4terps 09-12-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisL1976 (Post 483136)
Do you mean having the video bypassed, not the navigation.

Both...

Bypassing the video functionality so you are able to watch movies while the vehicle is in motion.

AND

Bypassing the navigation lock allowing you to enter addresses while driving as well.

JMLoughrey 09-12-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 483143)
Both...

Bypassing the video functionality so you are able to watch movies while the vehicle is in motion.

AND

Bypassing the navigation lock allowing you to enter addresses while driving as well.

Correct, they are one in the same, if you bypass one you get both. Theres no one or the other kinda thing. With kenwood, i know they have what they call safe mode in the gps, you can turn it on/off, it allows you to be able to program the gps while the vehicle is in motion (say at a stop light)

gerd35 09-12-2011 11:33 AM

what model Kenwood is this?

JMLoughrey 09-12-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerd35 (Post 483236)
what model Kenwood is this?

Most if not all kenwood DNX Nav series in dashes should have that. It'll be under one of the settings menus.

ChrisL1976 09-12-2011 03:53 PM

I know I program addresses in my Garmin all the time while driving....So a lock out to that feature would be a PITA.

Sarge137 09-12-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 483040)
On the aftermarket deck you will not need a lockpick. The lockpick is used on factory nav decks.

You will need a nav bezel, dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. The harness will depend on what system you have in the vehicle now. *The base stereo and the B/A stereo use difference harnesses.

Alpine makes a nice nav headunit. The only problem i've seen with them over the years is lack of support for navigation mapping. Ive had severl customers with older alpine in dash nav units that are just S.O.L for maps after 5 years. Thats why i personally had went with a kenwood because of the garmin navigation interface. (its also easy to bypass the parking break) The alpine requires an E-Brake hookup as well as a Brake pedal hook up for proper functionality.

Can it be tricked, yes, can i tell you how, i'd rather not, just because in all honesty, It only takes a split second the Ruin an entire family, beit yours or somebody elses. Not to mention, in CT, i've had several people come through with fairly large fines for having there navigation unit bypassed.

No issues on the bypass trick. From what I can tell, Alpine uses Navteq for their maps. I also use Navteq maps on my iPhone. I have tried all the iPhone nav programs and the one that is most up to date is Navigon (in my area), which uses the Navteq maps. Wonder why others are having problems. I'm not huge into music but the scales tipped Alpines way in my book when I seen their mapping software supplier.

JMLoughrey 09-12-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarge137 (Post 483593)
No issues on the bypass trick. From what I can tell, Alpine uses Navteq for their maps. I also use Navteq maps on my iPhone. I have tried all the iPhone nav programs and the one that is most up to date is Navigon (in my area), which uses the Navteq maps. Wonder why others are having problems. I'm not huge into music but the scales tipped Alpines way in my book when I seen their mapping software supplier.

Alpine does use navteq now, many years ago, they did not. There new maps are much better i will say. Either way you go, Alpine has always made a solid unit, beit a radio, nav or dvd screen. Good luck with your install, any installation questions or advice feel free to shoot me a PM.

Sarge137 09-13-2011 09:01 PM

Will do, thanks !