Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   2004 4.7 ASD relay problems! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/2004-4-7-asd-relay-problems-28449.html)

Catch22cr 09-12-2011 03:20 PM

2004 4.7 ASD relay problems!

I recently replaced my head gasket on my 4.7 and put everything back together, she runs like a champ (when it wants to run). When i start it it idles extremely rough when i lay my foot on the gas pedal. When i gun it, after it passed the rough idle, she hauls A$$. If its just idling it misfires like hell and eventually pops the ASD relay.
I checked timing, Cam sensor, replaced the Idle air control valve. still has problem.

I put new plugs when we got done putting her back together but read many 4.7's have problems with platinums, so i changed them to the champions the manual says. I noticed that all the plugs on the drivers side were blackened and carboned like they had been in there for a long time, when they were only in there for 2 days, and driven around the block once.

No check engine light, and no codes come up when i do that ignition trick, it just says "done".

Any ideas, or suggesitons are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

01grand 09-12-2011 03:31 PM

Re: 2004 4.7 ASD relay problems!

Strange.....

LOL, since you said it hauls a$$ as soon as it gets above idle I would suspect it is getting plenty of fuel, if it wasn't it would probably cut out as soon as you stepped on it. Double check and make sure the Idle air valve is working and the throttle body isnt blocked.

I would also check for a vacuum leak, make sure you didn't for get to hook up a line somewhere or have one crack. Strange that it won't throw a code....

Frango100 09-12-2011 05:28 PM

Sounds as a valve timing problem. Are you sure the chain didn't skip a tooth?
What do you mean with it "pops"the ASD relay?

suzieque 09-12-2011 06:11 PM

throttle position sensor?

Catch22cr 09-12-2011 11:09 PM

The timing is perfect, checked it 3 different times.
and popping a relay- When you pop a fuse??

Frango100 09-13-2011 10:35 AM

The only thing i have seen popping was popcorn:lol:.
A fuse melts and doesn't pop and a relay opens or closes, hopefully doesn't melt:lol:.
I presume that you mean that the ASD relay just opens.
The PCM switches the ASD relay off depending on 2 things:
1) with the ignition switch in on, but the engine not running for more than 2 seconds.
2) when there is a crank position sensor input lower then pre-determined levels.

So your problem could be with the crank position sensor, or your idle is that low that the PCM switches off the ASD relay as precaution.

Catch22cr 09-17-2011 10:01 AM

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!
The markings on the timing chain, dont face forward when you take the cover off! Thus i had no idea it was timing. and my repair manual says nothing about the spots on the links. It just said make sure the cam sprockets have the V8 mark on the top. When i looked up dodge 4.7 it said that the links had to be in certain spots and once i got those in the right spot, BINGO!
Shes back to normal now aside from blowing all the S#!T out of the exhaust! But it should be fine once i start driving it again!

Thanks all

Frango100 09-17-2011 04:29 PM

Good to hear it is solved.:thumbsup:

scjeep4.7HO 09-19-2011 10:04 AM

That's what I was thinking was timing, But you said you checked it 3 times. I have been through this on the phone with a few 4.7 people who don't want to think they done something wrong.

AS you know now, there are V8 markings on the cam sprockets and there are links on each chain (3 timing chains)that have to be in a certain position for the timing to be correct.