Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Has anyone Modified Stock Exhaust System? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/has-anyone-modified-stock-exhaust-system-28465.html)

wardy 09-12-2011 09:29 PM

Has anyone Modified Stock Exhaust System?

I would like to know if anyone has themselves modified the stock exhaust system? I have read dozens of posts from people who knew a bloke that did it and said it was great... but I have not heard first hand feedback from an owner who is living with a modified system.

I have my 5.7L v8 booked in next week for a mufflerectomoy. I was going to remove the center muffler, put a X piece in and leave the resonators in place.

That is one big muffler, so it must be doing a lot of work to keep the unit this quiet. I want a bit more sound without spending a fortune on a custom exhaust.

Has anyone tried this? What is the sound like? I do not want it to be obnoxiously loud. What is the drone like? is it un/bearable?

Any feedback? thanks in advance

t-ray-foret 09-18-2011 08:47 AM

Re: Has anyone Modified Stock Exhaust System?

i did, took it to the guy that has done every car i have had in life, we put two 40 series flowmasters in the middle where the big muffler was, then at the back took out the back mufflers and put 12 inch glasspacks, finished off with 4 inch baffled stainless tips, with a h pipe connector, it sounds awesome, but being that its the wifes car she complains a little, i have also added bwoody intake and jet throttle body spacer, i dont find the exausht all that loud at 70 with the cruise set you barley notice it but when you mash the pedal people have to do a double take when they hear that 5.7 hemi growl

Deception 09-19-2011 10:50 PM

I want my Jeep to sound similar to the Infiniti FX exhausts, it's sleek and not too noticeable but growls when you want it to.

wardy 09-20-2011 03:43 AM

Thanks t-ray-foret, thats good feedback. From what i am gathering you cannot delete the center muffler without replacing it with something.

Did you do all those upgrades at once? Or one at a time to notice the difference? I would be intrested to know what effect the jet throttle spacer had on its own?

Clutch04 09-20-2011 12:38 PM

Not exactly the route i would consider but if done right the cost/benefit is better than a high dollar catback system. Muffler swap is the best bet. Messing with the resonator would be more work and might result in unwanted drone or tone. The whole system is designed on noise canceling.
Ideally if you want it uncorked you replace the whole system.

wardy 09-25-2011 05:46 PM

quick update... removed the center muffler, i didn't hear it but exhuast guy said is sound like SH$T. So put two small inline muffflers, not sure exactly what they are but only around 4 inches in diameter. The note down low is awesome. No resonance whatsoever. In fact at cruising speed sound is stock. At first noticed a drop in torque. It didn't pull up the hills as it used to. I also noticed full consumption dropped significantly... however after about 200 - 300km this seems to have returned to normal. I don't know if i have adjusted... but torque seems to be back to where it was, as is fuel consumption. Could it have been ECU adjusting?

With all that said, it's not perfect. There is a problem at WOT. Just as max power develops at around 5,000+ rpm and it changes gear, the exhaust lets out an almighty fart sound. It's a cross between a backfire and a loud turbo blowoff sound... weird????

Ari gold 09-28-2011 12:21 PM