Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Sit-Rep.. 2012 Summit Steering Wheels (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/sit-rep-2012-summit-steering-wheels-28495.html)

jfrench7 09-13-2011 04:35 PM

Sit-Rep.. 2012 Summit Steering Wheels

Howdy Gang!

The misses and I have been keeping a close eye out on the threads concerning the wrong steering wheel install on recently built Summits. We've been tracking BIGAL and BuckeyeSRT ( sorry for your luck at the Dealership Brother! ) to see if their steering wheels have been replaced. I've been in a desperate panic trying to get in touch with our dealer in the states before they ship to us in Germany. I'm praying they can resolve this before it loads on the boat. Going to the local Jeep dealer here in Germany isn't as easy as it is in the states.

I'm not sure whether anyone else feels this way, however I'm kinda feeling a little uncertain about our incoming Jeep. Reading the recent posts seems to leave me with a sense that quality control is either working with blindfolds (unlikely) or management is telling them to just get it out the door. What's next!! I've ordered a 5.7L V8.... do I need to look under the hood to make sure it's not a V6.

I suppose we just feel like the wind has left the sails. We will have waited close to five months by the time it gets here and boy have we been excited. But now, I'm just a little confused.
Sorry for being long winded gang... just a little concerned and needed to share.

JETLIFE 09-13-2011 04:54 PM

Re: Sit-Rep.. 2012 Summit Steering Wheels

I don't own a WK2, but I myself would be thinking the exact same thing as you, there have been WAY to many issues with these Jeeps. When people are spending this kind of money they should expect perfection. Having a wrong steering wheel, Durango entry guards, bad alignment is unacceptable.

You should try to get your dealer to send you pictures of your Jeep before they load it on the boat. Better to find out if it has any problems before it's over seas. Good luck, hopefully everything works out for ya!

Welcome to JG by the way!

BIGAL 09-13-2011 05:17 PM

i was at the dealer today with my second dodge ram1500 pickup in a week don't get me started on this issue,any way i spoke to the service director about my steering wheel and i now have to bring it in so he can get digital photos of the wheel and the vin number and a 3/4 shot of the vehicle,i told him i already have pictures but he said that wouldn't work they have to be digital photos,my question Duh!!!! if i took them with a digital camera aren't they digital pictures,sounds like I need a trip to walgreens for some ky or vaseline, :slapfight::slapfight::slapfight:

77Cherokee 09-13-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrench7 (Post 484051)

...I'm not sure whether anyone else feels this way, however I'm kinda feeling a little uncertain about our incoming Jeep. Reading the recent posts seems to leave me with a sense that quality control is either working with blindfolds (unlikely) or management is telling them to just get it out the door. What's next!! I suppose we just feel like the wind has left the sails.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. I picked up the Overland two weeks ago and haven't noticed any issues other than the voice control for POI's, which I'm sure they will patch. They obviously ran out of dark wood steering wheels for the Summits, and didn't want to hold up the orders. It is an easy fix for the guys here in the U.S., but if you can have someone over here check yours before it ships out, it will give you peace of mind. I am really enjoying this Jeep and you will too. :thumbsup:

Eric67 09-14-2011 02:39 AM

I've mine imported 2months ago, to Holland. No Big issues, now 5K on it.
Don't forget a forum is to share problems !
I've owned many cars, also Toyota's etc. Don't think those are trouble free !!

2005JGC 09-14-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 484058)
I don't own a WK2, but I myself would be thinking the exact same thing as you, there have been WAY to many issues with these Jeeps. When people are spending this kind of money they should expect perfection. Having a wrong steering wheel, Durango entry guards, bad alignment is unacceptable.

You should try to get your dealer to send you pictures of your Jeep before they load it on the boat. Better to find out if it has any problems before it's over seas. Good luck, hopefully everything works out for ya!

Welcome to JG by the way!

Also consider there is a LARGE amount of people that are not "forum types" that go in search of a forum because of problems. Its not like he had a large WK2 enthusiast base and it seems all of them have problems. Some dont have problems, some do... If you want to ensure you dont have problems you can go to BMW and spend 20k more... AND STILL have problems, case in point... a coworker has a new 1 series bmw, brand new 11 that he will be leaving at the shop for an estimated 2 weeks to a month because what seems to be a common issue he has found doing searches on the interwebz, he has a crazy long crank occationally... nothing like walking past a fully loaded bmw 1 series sitting their cranking for 15 seconds before it starts. When you take fine electronics and stuff them into a rolling, vibrating, bouncing, heat/ice box, weak links are found....

This does not excuse quality control and that is just unacceptable. Hopefully as chrysler grows and devlops there are plants that grow the balls to remove slackers and replace them with others whom would give both of their balls (or boobs, gotta keep it PC) for a decent job. In my limited knowledge on the topic you can thank unions for keeping slackers employed.

I agree ask for pictures, considering what your paying them for the ride they should be willing to get you a couple dozen photos.

BuckeyeSRT 09-14-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrench7 (Post 484051)
Howdy Gang!

The misses and I have been keeping a close eye out on the threads concerning the wrong steering wheel install on recently built Summits. We've been tracking BIGAL and BuckeyeSRT ( sorry for your luck at the Dealership Brother! ) to see if their steering wheels have been replaced. I've been in a desperate panic trying to get in touch with our dealer in the states before they ship to us in Germany. I'm praying they can resolve this before it loads on the boat. Going to the local Jeep dealer here in Germany isn't as easy as it is in the states.

I'm not sure whether anyone else feels this way, however I'm kinda feeling a little uncertain about our incoming Jeep. Reading the recent posts seems to leave me with a sense that quality control is either working with blindfolds (unlikely) or management is telling them to just get it out the door. What's next!! I've ordered a 5.7L V8.... do I need to look under the hood to make sure it's not a V6.

I suppose we just feel like the wind has left the sails. We will have waited close to five months by the time it gets here and boy have we been excited. But now, I'm just a little confused.
Sorry for being long winded gang... just a little concerned and needed to share.

You are going to love it!!!!

BIGAL 09-14-2011 09:42 AM

went to the dealer this morning wheel on order in orlando should be in friday i'll let you all know :confused::confused::confused:

marknj57 09-14-2011 10:27 AM

It blows my mind that they could let that happen. If they ran out of steering wheels they should of delayed your car until it was in or at least acknowledged it was wrong.

Scottina06 09-14-2011 11:07 AM

its more a supplier problem than a JNAP problem. These wheels are covered in heavy plastic and the wheel is probably put in as an entire steering assembly(way I have seen it done at the GTown, KY Toyota plant) There was obviously a few assemblies sent from the supplier labeled wrong.

netcoolery 09-14-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 484474)
its more a supplier problem than a JNAP problem. These wheels are covered in heavy plastic and the wheel is probably put in as an entire steering assembly(way I have seen it done at the GTown, KY Toyota plant) There was obviously a few assemblies sent from the supplier labeled wrong.

That's very believable; however the disparity should be caught during quality checks.

BuckeyeSRT 09-14-2011 04:04 PM

My replacement steering wheel is still not in.:mad:
Both my headlights work now:thumbsup::thumbsup: