Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Auto Wipers turn on at odd times (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/auto-wipers-turn-on-at-odd-times-28546.html)

dsmith14 09-14-2011 07:05 PM

Auto Wipers turn on at odd times

Anyone else experience this? Every now and then on a beautiful sunny day the wipers will complete a few swipes. Not a drop of rain anywhere.

usrdaba 09-14-2011 07:16 PM

Re: Auto Wipers turn on at odd times

The Rain Sense wipers could be on. On normal intermittent wipers, the settings adjust the duration between wipes. When the Rain Sense is on (you can turn it off in vehicle settings) it adjusts the sensitivity. The infra-red sensor near the rearview mirror could have reflected off a bug or something that caused the wipers to think there was rain on the windshield and they cycled. Now, if the wipers are fully off when that happens, that's a whole 'nuther story.

dsmith14 09-14-2011 07:22 PM

I do have the rain sensors on. I just thought it was odd that they would be triggered with no rain. Maybe it was a bug or some dirt that set them off.

At Law 09-14-2011 07:36 PM

That is actually fairly common with the automatic sensor on.

In my Range Rover Sport, anything at all on the windshield would start the wipers.... Then the dash lights would flicker, then all of the windows would simultaneously roll down, and eventually, the entire truck would catch on fire. A day in the life of Range Rover ownership. :)

AAAA 09-14-2011 07:47 PM

Just turn the knob on the stalk to off. No need to turn off rain sensor feature as it only works when the knob is on.

Marlin 09-14-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by At Law (Post 484762)

In my Range Rover Sport, anything at all on the windshield would start the wipers.... Then the dash lights would flicker, then all of the windows would simultaneously roll down, and eventually, the entire truck would catch on fire. A day in the life of Range Rover ownership. :)

HAHAHAHA, Gold post, SOLID gold! :D

jeep2011 09-14-2011 08:13 PM

I always leave mine in the auto position. My new overland has done the same thing a few times. My last WKII limited never had a false wipe.

SW03ES 09-14-2011 10:51 PM

Our Jeep doesn't have the automatic wipers, but my Lexus does (its my second Lexus with the technology) and that does happen sometimes. I think the sun hits the windshield just right in front of the sensor and they come on.

77Cherokee 09-15-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 484893)
I think the sun hits the windshield just right in front of the sensor and they come on.

It's more likely a distress signal from Alpha Centauri, sent by a survivor of the Big Bang over 2 billion years ago. Your windshield was sensitive enough to receive it. I would notify the US Astronomical Society. :rolleyes:

Sorry...just had to. :)

bromhead 09-15-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by At Law (Post 484762)

Hilarious! As a long time land rover owner, i feel your pain (joy?).

IndyBob 09-15-2011 10:04 AM

I always have mine set to the auto mode. I can't recall them ever turning on on unless they were needed.

SW03ES 09-15-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Cherokee (Post 485032)
It's more likely a distress signal from Alpha Centauri, sent by a survivor of the Big Bang over 2 billion years ago. Your windshield was sensitive enough to receive it. I would notify the US Astronomical Society. :rolleyes:

Sounds plausible to me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyBob
I always have mine set to the auto mode. I can't recall them ever turning on on unless they were needed.

They will at some point or another...