Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Can't have 4 screws for rear license plate??? Huh? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cant-have-4-screws-for-rear-license-plate-huh-28551.html)

Dan JGC 09-14-2011 10:25 PM

Can't have 4 screws for rear license plate??? Huh?

Well.....took my Summit in for it's first service and oil change (just reached 3,500 miles today too....I know, I know, I shoulda taken it in for the first oil change at 1,000 but got to busy and put it off...also, yep, I only have 3,500 miles in 6 months). They did the TSB 18-035-11 which really changed the shifting of the V8/trans and it is noticeably smoother...didn't really have an issue with the shifting after 1,000 miles though anyway (was a bit rough and hunting around 35 up and down at times)...and the keyless TSB 08-024-11 REV A since my keyless FOB wasn't being recognized maybe 30% of the time now...annoying...but now apparently addressed.

Oddly, the tech wrote that they can't add license plate bolt/screw fasteners for the bottom two screw holes for my license plate (rear only). I like to have the license plate secured with all four screws (I have my own stainless steal ones so no rust...my transferred plate has wear marks from four screws so makes it look a bit shabby with only two screws now....picky I know). Anyone know if that is true or not...or perhaps the tech was confused as the written response was "THE BUMPER CANNOT BE MODIFIED DUES TO BRACING BEHIND THE COVER". Not sure what he means since it is on the lift gate, not the bumper.... Anyone got a thought on this???

Any thoughts are much appreciated....

SW03ES 09-14-2011 10:49 PM

Re: Can't have 4 screws for rear license plate??? Huh?

I bet they just had no idea what you were talking about.

BUT, I personally wouldn't let the hacks at the dealer go drilling holes into my hatch just to add two superfluous license plate screws. You run the risk of rusting (not just the bolts, but drilling into the metal exposes the metal to the air, where right now its sealed), and you run the risk of the dealer screwing it up (which dealers are great at doing, in my experience).

Robert Palmer 09-14-2011 11:34 PM

lololol

Dan JGC 09-15-2011 01:22 AM

SW03ES - that area of the lift gate is plastic...so no rust worries.

jeep2011 09-15-2011 07:24 AM

I would leave it alone and superglue caps on the plate where the old bolts use to be. I wouldn't drill into the back of a new car. If it is plastic then you have to worry about cracking the piece and water intrusion if the holes are not sealed properly.

mandm1 09-15-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 484948)
SW03ES - that area of the lift gate is plastic...so no rust worries.

That area is definitely NOT plastic, it's sheet metal! I wouldn't be drilling any extra holes in that location. If possible, just go to your DMV or equivalent and get shiny new replacement plates for a few dollars. Here in Iowa it's only a $5 fee.

Mike

bEEpX11 09-15-2011 10:57 AM

are you really supposed to take it in at 1K miles on brand new? I'm at 2500 should i be concerned ??

sined240 09-15-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bEEpX11 (Post 485106)
are you really supposed to take it in at 1K miles on brand new? I'm at 2500 should i be concerned ??

No. Its a constant debate when to do the 1st oil change. I say do it at 3000.

SW03ES 09-15-2011 12:04 PM

On the hatch? Its not plastic on my Jeep.

Anyways, even if it were plastic, I still would not want the dealer drilling something that they didn't have to drill. I mean...I don't let dealers WASH my cars because they can't do that without screwing it up...let alone drill holes in the sheetmetal.

Sponge Bob 09-15-2011 07:22 PM

Dan – You’re not alone. I thought I was the only one wishing for the 2 screws on the bottom of the back hatch. I have a thin license plate frame that helps prevent me from slicing my fingers when I wash the areas around the plate. (It’s against NYS law to have a wide frame that covers the plate – not many people know this.) Without the bottom screws the frame makes an awful sound every time I close the hatch. $40k and they cheap out on 2 plastic nutserts? My ’04 GC had the 4 nuts. WTH? Gimme a break…..

jeep2011 09-15-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge Bob (Post 485385)
Dan – You’re not alone. I thought I was the only one wishing for the 2 screws on the bottom of the back hatch. I have a thin license plate frame that helps prevent me from slicing my fingers when I wash the areas around the plate. (It’s against NYS law to have a wide frame that covers the plate – not many people know this.) Without the bottom screws the frame makes an awful sound every time I close the hatch. $40k and they cheap out on 2 plastic nutserts? My ’04 GC had the 4 nuts. WTH? Gimme a break…..

Same here wish there were 4 screws. I ended up putting some 3M molding tape on the back of my plates to hold it snuggly.

Dan JGC 09-15-2011 08:02 PM

I just think it looks better with all four screws and also had a license plate stolen once. I'm gonna talk directly with a tech next time I am at the dealer... If anyone else can find out before then....let me know!!! :-)