Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   HID fog problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/hid-fog-problems-28593.html)

JRsmoothee 09-15-2011 09:05 PM

HID fog problems

2009 4.7 foglights

ok heres the problem..... i recently installed some 55w HID's first two days they worked flawlessly, brighter than f*ck!! on the third day i noticed my drivers side went out, so the next day i get up under there and check all connections....everything is good. so i fire them up and both sides are working.... alright cool im good to go. drive home and park it..... the next night i noticed the drivers side starts to ignite but then shuts off. Got up under it again, fired em up and both light up. as soon as i start driving it goes out again...... wtf! Im thinkin its the ballast, but it ignites and stays on when im parked just not when i put it in drive.....

before the 55w kit i had a 35w kit from bajahid (crap i know, ballast died on me) but the 35w kit worked flawlessly for about 2 months...... i have no relay installed since i never really ran into any problems with flickering or anything with the 35w kit

anybody got any ideas???

JRsmoothee 09-15-2011 09:09 PM

Re: HID fog problems

oh yeah and the 55w kit is from VVME, i have one of their 35w kits in my other car and has being glowing strong for almost 4 years now....... i have very good knowledge with vehicle electronics but this just has me stumped

Crestwood1001 09-15-2011 09:29 PM

I dont know about the quality of their kit, but mine have never givin me an issue and I do not use a relay. Im gonna say you prob accidentally bumped the bulb with your bare skin, which kills them QUICK. Id say call them up and get a new bulb.

JRsmoothee 09-15-2011 09:32 PM

naw the bulb works fine..... i've swapped it over to the other side and it works fine

Crestwood1001 09-15-2011 09:36 PM

Then bad ballast. lol simple.

JRsmoothee 09-15-2011 09:58 PM

But it ignites and stays lit sometimes.... i would think if the ballast is bad it wouldnt ignite at all

Crestwood1001 09-16-2011 06:24 AM

Electronics work in funny ways. I'm sticking to it being the ballest if you say the wiring is fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

SRTILL8 09-16-2011 10:32 AM

also sounds like a loose ground could be boggling around. you check those? are they good grounds to begin with as well?

gl

Crestwood1001 09-16-2011 10:36 AM

When I did my hid fogs it was litterally plug and play, did not have to do any special wiring, not even a ground

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

DAVY27 09-16-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 485631)
also sounds like a loose ground could be boggling around. you check those? are they good grounds to begin with as well?

gl

x2. im thinking it might be a loose ground. do you have a relay on the 55w?

Don's GC 09-16-2011 11:05 AM

I had the same problem on a Mercedes, they worked fine until I started to drive and put a load on the electrical system. I installed one of the hid relay kits that the Ebay companys sell and fixed the problem. The relay wires to the battery with a fused lead and the relay trigger wire goes to the factory fog light wire. In this way the only load on the fog lights is the rely not the lights and balast. This should fix your problem.

antsjeep 09-16-2011 04:04 PM

I too had almost the exact issues as you for almost a year... I would turn them on both would light then the passenger side would flick off!! so then i would turn the fogs off and right back on to get the passenger side back would come back on... so freaking annoying!! One day i got so annoyed with them i just went and ripped them out and went back to halogens. No issues, no nothing anymore! :D

The only thing i i could guess would be there wasn't enough power to ignite them at start up and or the stock connector just never made the best contact with the HID kit harness. Who knows... i don't care anymore anyways LOL