Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Charge monitor, electro-mechanical servo oddity (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/charge-monitor-electro-mechanical-servo-oddity-28624.html)

Lingohocken 09-16-2011 05:49 PM

Charge monitor, electro-mechanical servo oddity

Truth About Cars has a video suggesting the WK2 has no alternator meter or idiot light whatsoever: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...harge-monitor/

The reviewer also alludes to mechanical vs. electrical servo, and on the 2012 V6 it's nominally a hybrid of both that sticks out from the engine's front like a pit-stop starter. It works okay based on our one week of driving, but when turned vigorously there seems to be a faint jerk in the steering wheel, like the servo is catching up with the steering command. While it's scarcely noticeable in normal driving, it seems like something of a throwback.

Still, you have to wonder what this catching up would do if you had to swerve really sharply to avoid Bambi or another vehicle. Certainly the manual's description doesn't inspire confidence that the vehicle will always immediately go where you aim it under those circumstances:
Extreme steering maneuvers may cause the electrically driven pump to reduce or stop power steering assistance in order to prevent damage to the system.

jeepster23 09-16-2011 06:48 PM

Re: Charge monitor, electro-mechanical servo oddity

Honestly if you were making a swerving maneuver at speed in attempt to avoid hitting something I dont really think you would need "power assistance". As long as you are at speed the wheel will turn very easy without any power steering at all.

77Cherokee 09-16-2011 07:32 PM

Mine has a battery symbol warning light, just as you would expect. Perhaps his wasn't working. From the manual:

• Charging System Light
This light shows the status of the electrical charging
system. The light should come on when the
ignition switch is first turned ON and remain on briefly
as a bulb check. If the light stays on or comes on while
driving, turn off some of the vehicle’s non-essential
electrical devices or increase engine speed (if at idle). If
the charging system light remains on, it means that the vehicle is experiencing a problem with the charging
system. Obtain SERVICE IMMEDIATELY. See an authorized
dealer.

Lingohocken 09-16-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Cherokee (Post 485924)
Mine has a battery symbol warning light, just as you would expect. Perhaps his wasn't working. From the manual:

• Charging System Light
This light shows the status of the electrical charging
system. The light should come on when the
ignition switch is first turned ON and remain on briefly
as a bulb check. If the light stays on or comes on while
driving, turn off some of the vehicle’s non-essential
electrical devices or increase engine speed (if at idle). If
the charging system light remains on, it means that the vehicle is experiencing a problem with the charging
system. Obtain SERVICE IMMEDIATELY. See an authorized
dealer.

I believe the reviewer had a Canadian model, for whatever that's worth.

jeep2011 09-16-2011 07:52 PM

Mine has a warning light as well. This guy is a waste.

Cherodude 09-16-2011 08:22 PM

Canadian models have exactly the same display symbol as described above by 77Cherokee.

Some reviewers are just too hasty to learn the vehicle. There certainly is a display light on the panel.

Having said that I don't know why his vehicle did not light it up. Must be a defective display symbol on his vehicle.

MikeD 09-16-2011 09:17 PM

Thetruthaboutcars.com is a joke, they actually had an article about banning the word bias for people posting, because they hate on so many American cars.

Technosavant 09-16-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 485893)
Honestly if you were making a swerving maneuver at speed in attempt to avoid hitting something I dont really think you would need "power assistance". As long as you are at speed the wheel will turn very easy without any power steering at all.

Yup.

Power steering is less important the faster you're going. Some cars even have variable assist power steering, which drops the amount of power assist as speed rises in an effort to preserve steering feel at higher speeds.