Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Newby-WK Hemi 2005 Follow scheduled maintenance as recommended? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/newby-wk-hemi-2005-follow-scheduled-maintenance-as-recommended-28629.html)

oldgeezer 09-16-2011 08:27 PM

Newby-WK Hemi 2005 Follow scheduled maintenance as recommended?

Hello all. Previously introduced myself in the new members column. Quick question? How many actually follow either the Schedual A or B maintenance schedules? Vehicle is WK Jeep Unlimited with 77K and the Hemi option.The previous owner did as recommended,seemingly Schedule A. Sure is pricey when coming to 60K and 90K recommended maintenance schedules? Do you have everthing replaced as recommended or use your own al l a cart? My 5.7 was treated with the "princley" recommended maintenace of 60K at the "modest" dealer pricing of approx. $800. with 10 percent discounts. Thanks for all inputs.

jeepgcoman 09-16-2011 11:55 PM

Re: Newby-WK Hemi 2005 Follow scheduled maintenance as recommended?

First welcome to the forum. Your screen name indicates your not a youngster. Many of us are "mature" too, and have been around automotive stuff for longer than some others have been alive. That doesn't mean we know more but, in many cases do have a little more "real world" experience (just due to age) than others.

On my WK I do a modified (by me) maintenance schedule. I am kind of anal about preventative and scheduled maintenance though, due to my aviation maintenance background. I use synthetic oil at 6000 mile intervals, changed the engine oil/filter, transmission fluid/filters, and spark plugs as soon as I bought it, and the rest of the fluids (including antifreeze was done at 60K. I also changed the MAP Sensor, the O2 Sensors (without DTC) and EGR Valve (with DTC). I am now in the process of installing a new cam and will be replacing the IAT Sensor (new improved Challenger unit), the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, spark plugs again (only because I have them out), maybe the water pump, and the serpentine belt. As part of the cam change, I'll be replacing all the valve seals, valve springs, pushrods, and timing gear/chain/tensioner set.

Bottom line, decide what you're comfortable with, based on your type/style of driving. On your 05, for sure you should probably replace the EGR Valve (unless it looks new), change the trans. fluid/filters (early ones had a TSB), and check the spark plugs and spark plug wire resistance. If your fuel mileage is really poor, these, along with O2 Sensors, could be the culprits. Hopefully you can do all this stuff yourself, as taking it to someone will cost a bundle. If you're fairly handy and mechanically inclined, none of these items should be too difficult. Just remember, these forums are a godsend and a wealth of information and handy hints. If you take it anywhere, before you go check on here for advice on what to do and not do with regard to dealing with your maintenance provider. Most importantly, make sure that whoever works on it has worked on them before. Many "unknowledgeable" mechanics have done the following:
1. Put the wrong weight oil in the engine. (many places use bulk 10W-30 oil)
2. On the 05 Hemi's they think there are only 8 spark plugs (there are 16)
3. When changing the trans. fluid, some put Dexron or "universal" type fluid. (It must be ATF+4)
4. Many have used the wrong fluid in the transfer case (depending on which 4WD system you have).

I am sure others can come up with more items, but these are just a few that came to mind first. Good luck with your new WK, and I hope it works out well for you.

HEMI57 09-18-2011 07:11 PM

Slighty off topic I apologize but where did you get the upgraded iat sensor from? Part number? I think mine in my hemi is going and would like to swap it out with something more reliable. Thanks!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-18-2011 07:25 PM

i follow schedule B i plan on having the jeep awhile and replace everything as scheduled with mobil 1 fluids

oldgeezer 09-18-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 486033)
First welcome to the forum. Your screen name indicates your not a youngster. Many of us are "mature" too, and have been around automotive stuff for longer than some others have been alive. That doesn't mean we know more but, in many cases do have a little more "real world" experience (just due to age) than others.

On my WK I do a modified (by me) maintenance schedule. I am kind of anal about preventative and scheduled maintenance though, due to my aviation maintenance background. I use synthetic oil at 6000 mile intervals, changed the engine oil/filter, transmission fluid/filters, and spark plugs as soon as I bought it, and the rest of the fluids (including antifreeze was done at 60K. I also changed the MAP Sensor, the O2 Sensors (without DTC) and EGR Valve (with DTC). I am now in the process of installing a new cam and will be replacing the IAT Sensor (new improved Challenger unit), the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, spark plugs again (only because I have them out), maybe the water pump, and the serpentine belt. As part of the cam change, I'll be replacing all the valve seals, valve springs, pushrods, and timing gear/chain/tensioner set.

Bottom line, decide what you're comfortable with, based on your type/style of driving. On your 05, for sure you should probably replace the EGR Valve (unless it looks new), change the trans. fluid/filters (early ones had a TSB), and check the spark plugs and spark plug wire resistance. If your fuel mileage is really poor, these, along with O2 Sensors, could be the culprits. Hopefully you can do all this stuff yourself, as taking it to someone will cost a bundle. If you're fairly handy and mechanically inclined, none of these items should be too difficult. Just remember, these forums are a godsend and a wealth of information and handy hints. If you take it anywhere, before you go check on here for advice on what to do and not do with regard to dealing with your maintenance provider. Most importantly, make sure that whoever works on it has worked on them before. Many "unknowledgeable" mechanics have done the following:
1. Put the wrong weight oil in the engine. (many places use bulk 10W-30 oil)
2. On the 05 Hemi's they think there are only 8 spark plugs (there are 16)
3. When changing the trans. fluid, some put Dexron or "universal" type fluid. (It must be ATF+4)
4. Many have used the wrong fluid in the transfer case (depending on which 4WD system you have).

I am sure others can come up with more items, but these are just a few that came to mind first. Good luck with your new WK, and I hope it works out well for you.

Thank you very much for your detailed post. I have researched information about the 5.7L motors on this site(year related also) and have learned a lot of valuable information. I had a very difficult problem with my "new dealer" releasing detailed service information about the vehicle due to Massachusetts disclosure laws(Total B.S. if you ask me). After a "Battle Royal", I have at least the most recent records within 15K miles of the current 77K miles. My wife and myself took a trip today with a combination of "City and mostly Highway" driving with the total mileage being close to 80 Miles. MPG Ave was 16.4 with outside the MDS at 70+ so I have no complaint. Octane was 89-might try 87 since that is an option also. Bottom line, satisfied initially and will be seeking advice later. Thanks for all the responder's help.

jeepgcoman 09-18-2011 09:38 PM

Robpp came up with the new improved IAT Sensor No. Thanks, robpp.

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=28102

Jahkneefive 10-21-2011 09:55 AM

Schedule B is a "best case scenerio" if you drove 100% highway mileage in a constant temp of 70 degrees. Schedule A is more tailored to the average conditions both driving and weather that a normal driver would see. The 30/60k services may seem pricey, but keep in mind a new tranny is well over $4K. Eventually you'll have to pay the piper, either upfront with the proper maintenance, or later with the failure from lack there of. Most people use a modified version of A, stretching out the oil change intervals, but keeping all the other fluid/plug swaps to factory suggestion.

My personal advice is if you are using a good quality oil or you are having it changed at the dealership you can stretch out your oil change intervals a little past the 3K mark. If you do this I would strongly advise you use Blackstone Labs to keep track of the "life left in the oil" a few times to gauge just how far you can stretch it. The dealerships use a Penzoil oil that is actually pretty damn good. With my driving habits and Blackstone's analysis of tbns I've been able to get right around 4,500 safely out of my oil change intervals. To me trying to save a few bucks by stretching it out to 5-6k wasn't worth the possible consequences of engine failure. Many on here will vouch that they get 6-8K out of "Super Oils" like Amsoil and such, again they'll tell you keeping track of the life of the oil is the biggy.

When I broke it down I would save a whopping $3 by stretching it out further. Granted I take advantage of the dealers Oil Change contract which costs me 65 and change and gets me 4 oil changes, so the savings would depend on the cost of the oil you utilize. Lots of good oils out there, only reason I use the dealer is b/c I have an extended warranty and this way all the maintenance records are on file with the dealer and I don't have to worry about issues should something fail.