Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   WK2 5.7L Hemi with smoke and vibration… (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/wk2-5-7l-hemi-with-smoke-and-vibration-28657.html)

erickpbl 09-17-2011 04:16 PM

WK2 5.7L Hemi with smoke and vibration…

:mad:

Chaoul1 09-17-2011 04:19 PM

Re: WK2 5.7L Hemi with smoke and vibration…

Damn, it sounds like a deisel engine. I don't know what it could be?

jp467 09-17-2011 04:20 PM

Is the shaking in the steering wheel or through the vehicle? What parts are they ordering?

wardy 09-17-2011 04:30 PM

mine smoked exactly like that yesterday. i was parked on an incline and thought it may have been a buildup of condensate... but it didnt smell too good. definately wide smoke, and didnt disappear as fast as condensate should disperse! got me thinking now

jeep2011 09-17-2011 05:13 PM

Smoke like that is normal you start and do not drive the car. (example) backing it out of the garage to wash the car. Then starting again to pull it back in. It would explain why the dealer would see it since they start the cars to pull into the garage and move them around the lots.

If it is doing this each day from just coming home parking for the night and starting it up the next morning then no.

jp467 09-17-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpbl (Post 486282)
They are ordering some bushing for the rear driving shaft… They look like people who just don’t know what the solution is…
The vibration is in the steering wheel and when you look at the passenger seat on a nice highway, you can see the seat rocking back and forth.
They have tried twice to balance the wheels, and it did not help. I even went to a specialized tire shop, and it was not successful. The problem is not the wheels. It is what links the wheel to the body of the jeep.
That new Quadralift system is starting to concern me…

By the way: 13,000 miles or 21,000 km on my Jeep and 8 months on the road

Again: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If the vibration is in the steering is would not be caused by the rear drive shaft. A driveshaft vibration is through the whole vehicle. My Overland has a slight shimmy in the steering wheel between 68 and 73 mph. I have had the tires balanced and re balanced and I tried different tires. I am now thinking it might be the intermediate shaft. There is a tsb for this with an updated shaft.

Jeff_Jeske 09-19-2011 11:30 PM

Any update on the shaking? I took mine in today and they couldn't fix it. All three new overland quadra lift trucks with 20" wheels on the lot had the same shake issue.

I'm not going to settle for the "huh" reply.

jp467 09-19-2011 11:46 PM

I was complaining that my Overland has a slight shimmy in the wheel at 70 mph. Maybe I should be happy that its only around this speed if all these other ones are doing it between 50 and 80?

Jeff_Jeske 09-19-2011 11:55 PM

If you have a problem you need to report it to Chrysler. That is the only way to get the issue resolved.

jp467 09-19-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 487325)
Any update on the shaking? I took mine in today and they couldn't fix it. All three new overland quadra lift trucks with 20" wheels on the lot had the same shake issue.

I'm not going to settle for the "huh" reply.

Did you drive these 3 and feel it yourself? Just asking because I know dealers have a way of saying they all do that when they don't know what the problem is. What kind of a vibration do you have?

rpoverland 09-21-2011 12:46 PM

I have the same issue of the smoke with my 2011 with 1k miles. I went to the dealer and they told me it is the cats but i dont see why the cats should throw any smoke.

I changed cats to my sports cars and bought a lot of cars from new and the only one that had the same issue was a Jaguar S type R ( supercharged ) that did it once.

starscream 09-21-2011 01:18 PM

There are some situations where smoke like that is normal on start-up, so if the dealer tells you everything looks okay after checking the engine over, then don't assume he's lying or he's an idoit. I'd be way more concerned if it didn't go away after a few seconds, but in your video it looks like it did.