Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   URGENT HELP! Dashboard going crazy, weird clicking noise! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/urgent-help-dashboard-going-crazy-weird-clicking-noise-28669.html)

bematare 09-17-2011 11:37 PM

URGENT HELP! Dashboard going crazy, weird clicking noise!

I went to turn my car on and it wouldn't start, it just made a ticking noise(no engine power or anything) pretty sure battery is either dead or needs to charge..

Now when the car is on the (electric only) the dashboard gauges are jittering around, and there is a humming/ticking noise going on.. It's faint and sometimes it gets louder..

:confused:

bematare 09-17-2011 11:59 PM

Re: URGENT HELP! Dashboard going crazy, weird clicking noise!

Went back out to try it again, and put the key in the ignition and turned and got nothing.. couple dashboard lights lit up and that was it.. I take it with my minimal car knowledge that the battery is dead.. yeh?

StoneCold 09-18-2011 03:04 AM

That would be my first bet yeah.

When I put my Jeep in fo it's MOT, the mechanic accidentally left the ignition on overnight and when I went to collect it in the morning, I had the exact same symptoms.

Jumped it (and it took a couple of attempts) and off she went:thumbsup:

2005JGC 09-18-2011 09:51 PM

Yep just sounds like a dead battery!

bematare 09-18-2011 10:30 PM

Yeah, battery died recharged it this morning and working fine.. will probably be getting a new one soon though.

Frango100 09-19-2011 05:55 AM

That the battery died can ofcourse be due to bad battery, but it can also be that some equipment is draining the charge or that the alternator is not properly charging the battery. Let both battery and alternator be checked out to be sure.

TJXJWJ 09-19-2011 07:05 AM

Do you know how old it is?

JeepMe 09-19-2011 07:27 AM

The humming/ticking noises was most likely relays not getting enough power to kick over and stay on.

bematare 09-20-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 486829)
That the battery died can ofcourse be due to bad battery, but it can also be that some equipment is draining the charge or that the alternator is not properly charging the battery. Let both battery and alternator be checked out to be sure.

I was playing music via my car for a while, and the battery ran low.. and I left the iPod charger plugged in and charging... I might have even left a/c on too.. just a noobie mistake :P