Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   wheel moving left and right around 55-65mph (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wheel-moving-left-and-right-around-55-65mph-28703.html)

DailyDrive 09-18-2011 09:50 PM

wheel moving left and right around 55-65mph

I have this problem before, my steering wheel move left and right when around 50mph to 60mph, at 70mph it just smooth. aligment ?

and if I step on brake at high speed, my steering wheel shaking, it have brand new brake pad, i reuse the rotor and have not turn it ?

jeep have brand new set of 4 tires humho road venture AT 30 miles on it. i have feeling my car need aligment, how much do aligment cost on these 4x4 jeep ? thanks

Frango100 09-19-2011 05:47 AM

Re: wheel moving left and right around 55-65mph

You said that you had the problem with the steering wheel before, so did you solve it that time with doing alignment:confused: It is in fact always a good thing to do a wheel alignment after installing new tires. Let them also check if the tires are installed correctly on the rims. Did they do a wheel balance after replacing the tires:confused:
Regarding the shake when braking, that is most probably due to warped rotors. But didnīt they shake before with the old brake pads:confused:

JeepMe 09-19-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 486828)
warped rotors. But didnīt they shake before with the old brake pads:confused:

Mine did the same thing at about the same speeds after I changed my brakes about 1 year ago. My rotors were still good so I didn't replace them. One of the pistons on the calipers cracked and caused it to drag on the rotor. Thus warping the rotor. But for some reason it would only shake (death wobble) if I applied brakes around 55 mph.

I noticed because I got out of the Jeep after driving and noticed an excessive amount of heat coming from the front passenger wheel well. Once I looked down at the brake rotor, I noticed it was discolored from heat.

If it started shaking after the brake change, this is where I would start.

DailyDrive 09-19-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 486828)
You said that you had the problem with the steering wheel before, so did you solve it that time with doing alignment:confused: It is in fact always a good thing to do a wheel alignment after installing new tires. Let them also check if the tires are installed correctly on the rims. Did they do a wheel balance after replacing the tires:confused:
Regarding the shake when braking, that is most probably due to warped rotors. But didnīt they shake before with the old brake pads:confused:

Yes it happent before I install new tires. I think I need aligment and new rotor. How much alignment on these jeep cost ? btw my jeep do right pull left or right when take my hand off steering wheel, its still bad car aligment ?

JeepMe 09-19-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyDrive (Post 486858)
Yes it happent before I install new tires. I think I need aligment and new rotor. How much alignment on these jeep cost ? btw my jeep do right pull left or right when take my hand off steering wheel, its still bad car aligment ?

Alignment will probably be the same as it is on any other vehicle. I believe where I'm at it's $75. But you may be able to talk them down since the only thing adjustable on these is toe. No caster or camber adjustments.

DailyDrive 09-19-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 487094)
Alignment will probably be the same as it is on any other vehicle. I believe where I'm at it's $75. But you may be able to talk them down since the only thing adjustable on these is toe. No caster or camber adjustments.

Thanks, 1 last question, I dont know what this call, it on my left side front brake
[IMG=http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4276/leakom.jpg][/IMG]

how hard to replace this rubber boot, and how long til I need replace it, if I aligment my car, is this will be a problem with aligment ? no clack clack noise when i turn the wheel all the way to the left or right.

thanks I really thank you for you guy help !!

mon_21 09-19-2011 11:11 PM

That is the CV boot, fairly easy to change it.

Link for how to: http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f6...v-boot-wj-6359

I had a torn cv boot when I 1st bought my WJ, I decided to replace the whole from shaft on both side rather than replace the Boot for I didn't know how much damage it has with all the gunk and road debris that got stuck inside.

DailyDrive 09-19-2011 11:36 PM

i know the boot is crack up,but how can I tell how much damage it make, any noise i be looking for ? cause if it still fine i just replace the boot, if not, mabe the whole thing, what you think ?

mon_21 09-19-2011 11:53 PM

Any clicking, popping, grinding noise is a sign, once the boot tears it collects debris and destroys the lubrication in it.

Test it by turning wheels in both directions while driving.

DailyDrive 09-20-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mon_21 (Post 487334)
Any clicking, popping, grinding noise is a sign, once the boot tears it collects debris and destroys the lubrication in it.

Test it by turning wheels in both directions while driving.

no any noise u say, i test it last week when i change the front diff and rear diff, and do couple figure 8, no noise. I guest I just replace the boot. Btw I cant do any thing til next month, cause I need the jeep constanly, is there anything I can spray inside the boot to keep it lubricate til i replace it ? im scare it run dry -_-

JeepMe 09-20-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DailyDrive (Post 487338)
no any noise u say, i test it last week when i change the front diff and rear diff, and do couple figure 8, no noise. I guest I just replace the boot. Btw I cant do any thing til next month, cause I need the jeep constanly, is there anything I can spray inside the boot to keep it lubricate til i replace it ? im scare it run dry -_-

It's not so much keeping lubricant in the boot as it is keeping dirt and crap out of the boot. The longer you let it go, the sooner it will fail.

I would recommend replacing the whole shaft with a new one (comes w/ new CV and cover). If you can do it yourself, it's not too expensive. If you pay a shop to do it, I would expect about $300-$400 in labor + the cost of parts.

This isn't something I would do, but you might be able to get by with it right now since your CV isn't making any noise. You might be able to replace the boot ASAP and not replace the whole CV. Take it existing boot off, clean all the road crap out of the CV, and put a new boot on. Again, I would recommend replacing the CV, but you MAY be able to get by w/ just a new boot if you do it now.