Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   What's the big deal over Bilsteins?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/whats-the-big-deal-over-bilsteins-28833.html)

HemiDawg 09-21-2011 02:54 PM

What's the big deal over Bilsteins??

Posted last week that I am going in this week to have SRT springs put in - still planning on it. Looking thru some other threads I see that many people recommend "get Bilsteins"!! What is it that these things add to the ride that makes them so great?

Also some have said that I should replace my stock WK shocks/ struts when I change the springs because it will shorten the life of the stockers. What time-frame are we talking here? Is it that I won't get 50K out of them or 100K or what? I only have 28K miles on it right now so if I am close to needing shocks already then it makes sense for me to replace them too, but if the stockers "typically" go 100K+ with normal use (on-road only), then I think I can probably wait.

Hell, I drove my X5 to 213K miles and it was still riding on the original shocks!!

Thanks for any input! :thumbsup:

macmac 09-21-2011 07:28 PM

Re: What's the big deal over Bilsteins??

get Bilsteins

They are great!

SupWiz17 09-21-2011 09:10 PM

In for this answer. When I have some extra money I would like to get some new suspension and want to know whats the deal with these bilsteins.

Marlin 09-21-2011 09:32 PM

Bilstein is a quality damper unit. They are a company large enough to actual do R&D for specific applications.

They have the runs on the board as far as ride/handling improvement, and longevity. They're a bit of a no-brainer addition on a WK.

Crestwood1001 09-21-2011 09:34 PM

1) They are valved specifically to the weight and suspension characteristics of your vehicle, when you buy a white body shock, it is a universal shock built in various lengths with a set amount of valving, kind of like having the same recoil spring for a prius and a hummer... makes sense right?

2) They have superior seals, shafts and body. Are more resistant to pitting, leaking, etc

And last but not least, the are made by GERMANS, in GERMANY, what more do I need to say?! The Germans make some serious shit!

HEMI57 09-22-2011 06:36 AM

And they are yellow :-) Seriously though I threw some stock size Bilsteins on the rear only and handling has improved nicely. Adding the SRT8 rear sway helped much more though.

HemiDawg 09-22-2011 08:11 AM

Thanks for all of your replies, however, I have yet to hear what the typical lifespan of the stock shocks/ struts are - anyone know?

Crestwood1001 09-22-2011 09:47 AM

Bilstein? 100,000 plus

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Jelly_Bean 09-22-2011 09:59 AM

they're made in Germany, you know the germans always make great stuff! -Vince from shamwow...

but seriously though. I was in the same boat and then I got them for my F150 (before I got my WK) they are just built much better than other shocks that I've seen. they feel more solid on the car as well as when I was inspecting them. ride quality is great too

Redpit 09-22-2011 10:15 AM

There is no universal lifespan of stock shocks, but I lowered my last car and kept my stock shocks. The springs I used were made for my stock shocks though. I was expecting my stocks to last about 80k, but who really knows. The mechanic at the shop said he's seen them go as little as 30k and also well over 100k. That being said lowering on stock shocks will always cause more stress and as a result a shorter lifespan.

mitchelm 09-22-2011 11:42 AM

I have the bilsteins on my WK (stock springs) since 30000 miles. I'm at 60000 now, and they ride just like the did when they were brand new, which is extremely well controlled and sporty. Less bounce and dive under cornering and braking. If you are lowering, I think its a no brainer. My stock shocks were done around 25000. Its night and day.

remmy 09-22-2011 12:10 PM

Bilstein made me custom gas shocks for my old Si. They were insane.