Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   *HELP* Automatic Starter now check engine light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-automatic-starter-now-check-engine-light-28860.html)

ROCKY1 09-22-2011 09:09 AM

*HELP* Automatic Starter now check engine light

I pressed the automatic starter today and noticed all the gauges were turning on and off after a few tries the truck would just shut down, I started the truck with my key and now I see a check engine light come on every time since this incident.

dr.lee.baugh 09-22-2011 10:57 AM

Re: *HELP* Automatic Starter now check engine light

Pull the codes and post 'em up.

Alternatively, you could try unhooking the negative terminal on the battery cable for 20min to clear the computer and see if the check engine light comes back on afterwards.

Could just be a fluke that will clear.

ROCKY1 09-22-2011 01:07 PM

how do i find the codes ?
and what would happen if i unplugged the battery would i lose any information on the GPS..etc,
also i forgot to mention im using the second key, this is the first time using the remote starter with this set of keys also

ROCKY1 09-22-2011 01:10 PM

this did happen to me two weeks ago and your right by fluke it did clear, but today i decided to give the remote starter a shot only to get the check engine light again.

Crestwood1001 09-22-2011 10:28 PM

Take it to whoever put it in, they did something wrong.

dr.lee.baugh 09-23-2011 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 488820)
Take it to whoever put it in, they did something wrong.

x2, I didn't realize the remote starter was recently installed. Let them deal with it!

Unhooking the battery will not clear preset radio stations, GPS addresses, etc.,

To get the codes, you can perform the 'key dance' (search here and you will find many people mention how to do it, though not all fault conditions are reported through this procedure), or take it to a part store that allows you to pull the codes for free. The dealership and most mechanics will charge you for this service.

If it is the remote starter causing something to happen and you do not use it for a while, after a certain number of drive cycles (depending on which code it is) the computer will automatically clear itself. That is most likely why your CEL went off the first time.

But to reiterate, I would definitely take it back to the place that installed the remote starter!

06HemiLtd 09-23-2011 07:59 AM

i looked into several remote starts for my jeep. i guess chrysler has a fairly complex can-bus system which makes electronics difficult to work with. to do it right, i was told i had to give up one of my keys/transmitter and they would put it in a module. i don't know much about electronics though.

Crestwood1001 09-23-2011 08:29 AM

Yea what they do is cut the immobilizer out of one of your keys and install it behind the ignition so that when you send the remote start signal it has the immobilizer signal there, without that it won't start correctly, that's why if you tried t start your jeep with just the metal key and not the plastics and electronics around it it would not work

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

JMLoughrey 09-23-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 488923)
i looked into several remote starts for my jeep. i guess chrysler has a fairly complex can-bus system which makes electronics difficult to work with. to do it right, i was told i had to give up one of my keys/transmitter and they would put it in a module. i don't know much about electronics though.

Whatever shop you went to really needs to get with the times. There is no need for customers in 99% of vehicles to give up a key anymore. Thats OLD technology, some cars still require it, Jeeps, do not!

There are modules made by two different companies, Flashlogic and xpresskit. www.flashlogic.com and www.xpresskit.com

Both are great modules, the Flashlogic module FLCAN is what i use in all the chrysler branded vehicles, installation is smooth, functionality is 100%.

Any halfway repuatable shop/compitant installer would have and use these modules. If they aren't, i'd find somewhere else.

Chances are they didnt hook up something properly as i know Jeeps, from experience, have a tedious pre-wire process for a remote starter.

Ifi had to make an educated guess, chances are they didnt program the remote start properly, on alot of units they have a wire that is programable to be either a 2nd ignition, 2nd accessory or 2nd starter wire. You can also program is to write to a specific keyfob. Its possible they programed that wire right, but messed up when they only programmed it to one keyfob. For example, keyfob 1 tells it to be a 2nd accessory, but keyfob 2 tells it to be a 2nd ignition by default. Just an idea, without looking at, its all speculation.

ROCKY1 09-23-2011 09:53 AM

So this morning before going to work I unhooked the negative terminal from the battery and left it off for about 20 minutes, hooked it back up and it started perfectly without the Check Engine light, I probably better not use that remote starter anymore...so tempting

lgtsbr 12-21-2011 09:14 AM

I'm going to resurrect this old topic as it just happened to me. Last night while leaving work I hit the remote starter (factory one) and the car would not stay running, check engine light came on while on the way home. The light was still on this morning and I noticed my Cylinder Management was not working on my way to work. Everything appears to be operating fine - no stutters, no rough idle, nothing like that.

I'm stumped on this one. I am trying to track down a code reader to see what is going on, I will keep you posted

Dave

dr.lee.baugh 12-21-2011 10:13 AM

The MDS system is always turned off whenever the check engine light is on. Once the code is cleared, I would bet the cylinder management system goes back to normal, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You could pull the code, and see what it says, but I would imagine it will just relate to the system being shut down when trying to use the remote starter.

Something about the remote start did not work the way that it is supposed to.

As previously suggested, you could try disconnecting the negative terminal to clear the codes and hope that it doesn't happen again or take it to someone who has the ability to properly diagnose the remote start system.

I don't know of too much more you can try yourself to get to the bottom of things, from my understanding it is a pretty complicated system.