Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Rhino Lining the Step Pad (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/rhino-lining-the-step-pad-2888.html)

blackpepper 09-25-2009 01:21 PM

Rhino Lining the Step Pad

Thinking about doing this.. don't want to paint it black ;) but want something different on there.. my dog gets in and out of the trunk a lot among other things, so I figured I could buff his nails with some rhino lining on the step pad. JK!!! but it would help with durability. I'd probably buy a new step pad and have it lined then installed..

As long as the coat is thin enough it should clear under the tailgate.

Out of place mod or great idea?

B.P.O.D 09-25-2009 02:04 PM

Re: Rhino Lining the Step Pad

GREAT IDEA!!!

i was thinking of doing something to it as well!!! a lot of stuff goes in and out of my truck

blackpepper 09-25-2009 02:06 PM

I'd have to call around and get some prices.. I think the step pad is only $20 give or take.

B.P.O.D 09-25-2009 02:09 PM

that's not bad at all... i was thinking vinyl but prob would tear

ryanwk 09-25-2009 02:12 PM

good idea :thumbsup: i want to do my grill

blackpepper 09-25-2009 02:21 PM

I think vinyl isn't durable enough.. The average price for a pickup truck is $350 so I'm thinking tens of dollars for the pad.

hemi.jon 09-25-2009 02:38 PM

awesome idea, you could use herculiner or something from auto zone, if you get it professionally done, stay away from rhino, it fades. the best i saw was speed liner, or linex. with pro jobs, it can be colored to blend in better. but you could just get the spray cans, they do fade over time, i used it in my wrangler, but the ease of re spraying on your own is also there.

blackpepper 09-25-2009 02:42 PM

I noticed on Rhino's website that they offer their own version of "back to black" but half the reason of my intent was to avoid fading. I wouldn't want to respray and not have it fit under the tailgate so I'll look at speed liner and linex (sounds like computer software lol)

Matt 09-25-2009 02:43 PM

Ryan, I know you can buy this stuff off the shelf and roll it on yourself. Not sure at the cost and at the end of the day it may just be easier to take it to a shop, if they'll do it for only a few bucks more, than doing it yourself. Just something to think about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 67121)
that's not bad at all... i was thinking vinyl but prob would tear

Yeah, it would definitely tear.

Matt 09-25-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 67131)
so I'll look at speed liner and linex (sounds like computer software lol)

:lol:

blackpepper 09-25-2009 02:46 PM

Thanks Matt.

I'll have to really inspect the pad and see where edges and the four connecting clips would be an issue for fitment.. also the closest dealer is 15 miles away and a $6 bridge toll so a DIY kit might be a viable option, too.

Matt 09-25-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 67134)
Thanks Matt.

I'll have to really inspect the pad and see where edges and the four connecting clips would be an issue for fitment.. also the closest dealer is 15 miles away and a $6 bridge toll so a DIY kit might be a viable option, too.

I would just do the top and sides of the step (not the bottom where the clips are). The coating will for sure scratch the bumper paint when you mount it although you'll always have a step pad there, it may be thick enough to reach further than a non-coated pad and could leave, albeit small, ring of blemished paint around the paid should you choose to go back to the factory pad.

I've read that the roll-on kits are very easy to work with and are just as durable as anything else -- you may want to do your own research to confirm though.