Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   suspension thread questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/suspension-thread-questions-28888.html)

erpe 09-23-2011 01:21 AM

suspension thread questions

allright guys i've got a 2006 laredo/srt8 conversion and i'm workin' on lowering it. Now I read Scott's(tina) thread but re: the srt8 eibach springs,(looks similar in drop to the bwoody's) how muuch drop would i get with stock shocks? also i've seen the kyb's and monroe shocks stating they are srt8 compatible...so exactly what do they mean? are they just the same size of the wk shocks that actually do some lifting, or really have oem srt8 length shocks? help need to buy!!!:thumbsup:

erpe 09-23-2011 01:25 AM

Re: suspension thread questions

to add... the kyb and monroe shocks are cheaper than the bilsteins, but would they work with Bwoody's...with the 1.7" drop outback of course.can these guys handle the drop? i really don't need any crazy handling improvements...just looks no performance,afterall i just got a six banger!:(

4.whoa 09-23-2011 05:13 AM

Well, from.what i gather they are shorter(so they dont bottom our so often/easily ) and they are valved different,for handling which helps to not bottom out as well. IMHO you should use them with srt lowering springs,if not i.dont think.you'll be to happy with it.
P.S. a 6 banger only means you accelerate slower, you can still get movin':thumbsup:

Crestwood1001 09-24-2011 04:30 PM

Well first, dont but monroe shocks. Get the bilsteins, cost more, but are valved specifically for the size and weight of your vehicle, the crap aftermarket ones other then bilsteins are just generally valved.
Now the SRT8 bilsteins are the absolute best you can put on the WK because they are bilsteins, they are valved for the jeep, and are made to handle the drop.

robpp 09-24-2011 04:54 PM

i HAVE the WK BILSTEINS in front with the SRT8 eibach springs. I also have the JBA UCA and my drop is just as much as any srt8. I have bottomed out twice in the front, the shocks are a bit soft.

in rear i have the SRT8 eibach springs with QA1 SRT8 adjustable shocks. again my drop is equal to any dropped srt8 on them springs. only thing lower is original bwoody that had a 1.7 srt8 drop but bottom out like all the time.

05WK 09-24-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 488887)
P.S. a 6 banger only means you accelerate slower, you can still get movin':thumbsup:

Oh yeah!:thumbsup:

Check my sig :D

erpe 09-25-2011 12:51 AM

so what about those kyb g2's...good brand,they state they fit the srt.If that's a fact, it should give a drop similar to srt bilsteins!? don't see anybody using these tho...and oh yeah i've got Bwoody's coming... with the 1.7 in da back...lookin to get a drop like good ol' Scottina. i understand i will lose 3/8 th's drop with the wk bilsteins,and don't want to pay for real srt shocks with real srt pricing.but with no info on the kyb's i may have too

Scottina06 09-25-2011 12:52 PM

all those shocks you mention are OEM equivelent...except for the BIlsteins and they will raise you 3/8" PLUS....IMO...they werent much better than stock....although some improvement. ALSO...the drop listed for the Bwoodys is on a stock SRT Jeep ONLY....not the nonSRT WK. The Bwoodys will drop the nonSRT about 2.5" and 2 3/4" on stock shocks.

erpe 09-25-2011 11:02 PM

scott that 2'+ -3" drop(like yours!!!) is what i'm tyin to get.i know the 1-1.7" drop is for the srt's...what i'm tryin' to find out is if the kyb-since they are advertised as srt8 compatible,will they give me the drop i want ,without the 3/8" raise of a wk bilstein?

erpe 09-25-2011 11:08 PM

oh,sorry after rereading your comment,i think i understand,the kyb's is like my stocks, and adding the bwoody's would give me that bigtime drop as if i put them on my stockers!ok,so are they(kyb) good enough to handle the drop?

Scottina06 09-25-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erpe (Post 490157)
scott that 2'+ -3" drop(like yours!!!) is what i'm tyin to get.i know the 1-1.7" drop is for the srt's...what i'm tryin' to find out is if the kyb-since they are advertised as srt8 compatible,will they give me the drop i want ,without the 3/8" raise of a wk bilstein?

no idea about the KYB's bud....sorry. I have never heard of an SRT owner putting those on. FWIW....the stock nonSRT shocks/struts, springs etc. would fit on the SRT8.

erpe 09-27-2011 12:06 AM

allright scott,i called kyb and the tech said a 2"-3" drop is "out of their operating range, 1 inch drop would be fine....settles it bilsteins.but damn i'll be paying about 1200 bucks just to lower this thing, i have had various cars lowered and was payin 300ish installed!