Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/worth-dropping-in-a-k-and-n-filter-for-the-5-7-a-28912.html)

rith 09-23-2011 03:49 PM

Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
How are the stock factory panel filters for the 5.7's? ? Is it a waste of money to drop a K&N panel filter in? I'm leaning toward yes...

I am looking to grabbing a ported throttle body to throw on after....

KidFresh5.7 09-23-2011 03:53 PM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
K&N filter will last a lifetime versus the cheap oem paper filters and is a much higher quality..... but Cold Air intake not an option? if you want a real performance upgrade

elvisisdead 09-23-2011 08:05 PM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
Yes. I've got one. See the thread on intake air temps.

ColdCase 09-26-2011 05:40 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KidFresh5.7 (Post 489201)
K&N filter will last a lifetime versus the cheap oem paper filters and is a much higher quality

K&N is a low restriction filter that also lets more grit through along with the air, reducing the life of your engine.

jeep2011 09-26-2011 10:02 PM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
I will never put another K&N filter in my cars after two of my mercedes having failed MAF sensors because of the oil blown off of the filter onto the sensor film. It might have been because they took dual air filters, but it was still unacceptable.

FlyinRyan 09-26-2011 10:05 PM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
I am not a fan of K&N filters or any filter made of gauze, but a high-flow air filter would help. The air temps thread revealed that a short ram intake for real world use is ineffective, not due to flow but rather temps.

Marlin 09-26-2011 10:09 PM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
I've used them for 20+ years on all sorts of vehicles including many race cars. Never once had any issue or failure that could be blamed on the filter.

If you oil them correctly and do NOT clean them too often, they are fantastic.

Milous 09-27-2011 12:27 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rith (Post 489200)
...Is it a waste of money to drop a K&N panel filter in? I'm leaning toward yes...

You're leaning in the right direction. Totally unnecessary. More air = more dirt.

Kevlars 09-27-2011 01:31 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 490613)
I've used them for 20+ years on all sorts of vehicles including many race cars. Never once had any issue or failure that could be blamed on the filter.

If you oil them correctly and do NOT clean them too often, they are fantastic.

I could not agree more. Used them in multiple track cars, trucks hauling horses, and in my other off roaders. Not one problem ...
If you clean it too much or oil it too much then ya...you should not get one. As for me...would not drive a car without one.

BuckeyeSRT 09-27-2011 05:43 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 490607)
I will never put another K&N filter in my cars after two of my mercedes having failed MAF sensors because of the oil blown off of the filter onto the sensor film. It might have been because they took dual air filters, but it was still unacceptable.

Did you let them know?
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#27
Look at # 27 (I know its the mfg web site)

WK2 Rover 09-27-2011 10:12 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
I got tired of waiting for the Mopar Cold Air Intake that has been in the catalog for a year but is not available. I have used K&N for almost twenty years in many vehicles without issue: 2011 Grand Cherokee, 1993 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Wrangler, 1990 Corvette, 2006 Lexus IS 350.

77rednecktruck 09-27-2011 11:19 AM

Re: Worth dropping in a K&N filter for the 5.7?
 
I put a k&n filter on my old 92 SHO when I had it and didn't notice any difference in performance. I tried it one more time on my 91 mustang GT with no change in performance. That was it for me, I will not ever buy one again.

The oil flying off stories are everywhere also. I am betting it's more user error in that case but...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community