Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Stay or Buy? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/stay-or-buy-28938.html)

dane.p 09-24-2011 08:23 PM

Stay or Buy?

I got a 3.7 l base model 2007 laredo and i realllllllllllllly should not have gotten it. I'm thinking about selling it back to carmax and getting a 4 wheel limited or laredo. Should I do it? I've gone from 13000 miles to 54000 miles since i bought it nearly a year ago. And I bought it for 16000. Do you think I could buy one at carmax without chipping in any more than 4000 bucks?

05WK 09-24-2011 09:58 PM

Re: Stay or Buy?

Well, bottom dollar for your jeep is about 10500 based on nada.com

It depends on what year, but I think it's possible.. I'd check auto trader and shop around. I haven't had good experiences from carmax's trade in offers

dane.p 09-25-2011 07:51 AM

I think I can get a little more than 13500 if I do it right

Redpit 09-25-2011 09:38 AM

I don't know all the details about the car, but if it's just a basic 2wd laredo then you will not get $13,500 trade in. Maybe sell it private party for that much, but that's even hopeful (more like just under 13k). I think $10,500 is right on the money, unless it has tons of options(list them of you want). Kbb is not accurate, Edmunds is much more realistic.

Good luck though, dealers are S.O.B.'s.

05WK 09-25-2011 09:45 AM

^exactly. Nada is also a very good estimate.
13500 is the selling price. No dealer will give you a trade in value of what they could sell it for. There's just no room for their profit. And I've dealt with their car trade in guys before and they nit pick EVERYTHING. If you're looking to get the most for you dollar, sell it yourself. For the right price it will sell itself

dane.p 09-25-2011 10:03 AM

Well I'm definately not going to carmax to trade in
Maybe a small dealership

05WK 09-25-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dane.p (Post 489861)
Well I'm definately not going to carmax to trade in
Maybe a small dealership

It's gonna be the same, promise. Unless you buy a car from them you can haggle no you will NOT get 13500. I know the car business.

I recently got offered only 6500 for my jeep. That bottom value on nada.com, etc is the value of the vehicle, or the price at auctions. They will not offer you more than what they could buy one at auction.

Sorry to break it to ya, but I'm telling you know so you dont feel like your being robbed later. Sell it yourself IMO

Bleeding Blue 09-26-2011 03:29 PM

Just a tip my grandfather shared with me when I bought my Jeep (He used to own a small dealership)

NEVER tell the dealer you are going to trade your car in. Get them nailed down on the price they are willing to sell you the car you want to buy and then tell them you are trading yours in. That way you know exactly what you are paying for your car and what your trade is getting. Dealers will "hide/move" numbers so it appears you are getting value for the new car/trade in when you arent.

05WK 09-26-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jweidner (Post 490445)
just a tip my grandfather shared with me when i bought my jeep (he used to own a small dealership)

never tell the dealer you are going to trade your car in. Get them nailed down on the price they are willing to sell you the car you want to buy and then tell them you are trading yours in. That way you know exactly what you are paying for your car and what your trade is getting. Dealers will "hide/move" numbers so it appears you are getting value for the new car/trade in when you arent.

true.

Don's GC 09-27-2011 11:13 AM

Take it from someone that has worked at a dealership for almost 40 years. DON'T trade it in!! The dealer will never give you over good trade-in book value. I see this every day in this business. People will come in to buy a new car and want every rebate special offer and try and haggle the price down on the new car, and turn around and do something stupid and trade in the old car. You will always loose $ 3 to 4 K on the trade value. They want all they can get on the new one and give the old car away. A dealer always marks up the trade from 3 to 4 k everywhere you go unless it is a real junker. Also another mistake the customer does is bring a dirty cluttered vehicle in to get a trade in price. Make the car shine and look like it is worth a million dollars, this will go a long way in getting more money sometimes a grand more. I have been setting trade in values at the dealer I work at for about 8 years.