Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   TPMS Sensor Issue? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tpms-sensor-issue-28944.html)

elvisisdead 09-24-2011 10:06 PM

TPMS Sensor Issue?

Looks like the driver's front sensor keeps saying that pressure is low, but it's reporting the same pressure as the other wheels. Time to get it replaced under warranty?

ColdCase 09-24-2011 10:28 PM

Re: TPMS Sensor Issue?

By any chance did the tire pressure drop below the warning trip point due to cold weather (I think 31)?

The warning is set by the computer, based on the psi readings of the sensor. The sensor does not trip the warning, the computer decides to set or reset the warning. If your EVIC is showing an OK psi reading, there is nothing wrong with the TPMS sensor itself. The computer has some hysteresis programmed in, so the warning won't reset when the pressure increases to the trip point (31 psi), needs a couple psi more (34 psi I think) and perhaps 20-30 minutes on the road.

If you normally run on the low side of the recommended pressure, the warning behaves as you've seen. Before taking it back to the dealer, you may try just putting a few more psi in that tire until the indication resets. Once it resets you can lower the psi to any point above the trip point as you like.

BTW, All my TPMS seem to indicate low by 2 psi compared to a tire gauge.

morty 09-27-2011 10:00 AM

get them changed under warr. I just bought 4 new ones for my snow tires and they cost $ 104.00 each up here in Canada.

Kevlars 09-27-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morty (Post 490753)
get them changed under warr. I just bought 4 new ones for my snow tires and they cost $ 104.00 each up here in Canada.

When you change tires can you use the same sensors or do you need to purchase new ones?

AAAA 09-28-2011 07:20 PM

I just traded in Latitude Tours for LTX M/S 2's and used the same sensors. They are reading as before... slightly higher psi than handheld digital guage.

ColdCase 09-28-2011 08:14 PM

When you change tires, the sensors are not replaced, but they will want to replace the stem (about $5 each). They often charge you a bit for the labor as they say it is more work than standard stems (maybe $3 a tire).

These TPMS are used on numerous chrysler vehicles, the $65 set (US) on Ebay are OEM sensors and work well.

Kevlars 09-28-2011 09:18 PM

thanks

Emilyrg 11-10-2011 02:47 AM

I realize this conversation is old, but I'm experiencing the same problem. I have had mine for three months and it started with one doing it then it went to three of the sensors blinking with no difference in the psi. Did yours escalate?

see your thread, i commented on it... fill your tires up to spec and you will be fine. (33psi on the 18" wheels iirc)

Lingohocken 11-10-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilyrg (Post 512779)
I realize this conversation is old, but I'm experiencing the same problem. I have had mine for three months and it started with one doing it then it went to three of the sensors blinking with no difference in the psi. Did yours escalate?

see your thread, i commented on it... fill your tires up to spec and you will be fine. (33psi on the 18" wheels iirc)

In a recent cold snap, our 20" tires dropped four pounds. Be sure to check them first thing on a cold morning, and don't let the sun shine on them for more than a couple of minutes before checking. And use a right and proper gauge, such as the #32307 at http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?...product_id=764 It's virtually as accurate as our $150 German gauge, but goes for $20.