Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   srt8 spring need help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/srt8-spring-need-help-28945.html)

05HEMI 09-24-2011 10:11 PM

srt8 spring need help

Hey, so I tried to putting my srt8 spring in today and oh man did I ever have a hard time trying to get the bolt out of the bottom of the strut. It took 2 hours trying to get it loose, finally got it and went to put the spring in and it didn't match up with the rubber piece at top.

need some help.

AShoe 09-24-2011 11:05 PM

Re: srt8 spring need help

Mine didn't match up in front either...I just put SRT springs on two weeks ago. I just put it back together with the new spring knowing it would be under pressure and with that piece being foam I assumed it would be impressionable. I took my drivers side back off today and the foam has changed to form around how the spring lays to allow it to still line up. I say try it...mine checked out fine. Mine lowered weird to begin with, 1" higher on passenger side than drivers for about a week and now she sits great! Took me and a friend 9 flippin hours!! Maybe my advice won't help but thought I would share! Good luck!

robpp 09-24-2011 11:09 PM

its odd, all them parts are exactly the same across models. i looked 07 Parts manual and the knuckle the spring and the shock are the ONLY different parts across diff models.

AShoe 09-25-2011 12:16 AM

I hear ya...I was confused when I put the mount on and tightened according to the foam piece and it was way off. That's why I just went with it and it has worked out well for me. I wish I had a sound piece of advice but I haven't seen another issue like this until you said something...you at least made me feel better! Thanks for that! Maybe someone else will chime in...

HemiDawg 09-25-2011 08:05 AM

Sounds like my $300 install cost was money well spent!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

05HEMI 09-25-2011 09:21 AM

Ya I kinda wish I just got it done at the dealer since it took me almost 4 hours to take one side off then for it not to match up... I just put the old spring back on and will try it another day. Thanks for the info I feel better knowing that couple of you guys have put them in with the foam not matching up with no issues.

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 09:03 AM

Whew, my dealer wanted almost $700 to install, and I already had the springs!

AShoe 09-26-2011 09:44 AM

Same here...$700 at dealer...$450 at a shop because they refused to do it without the alignment kit. So...I'm glad to save my money and learn about the mechanics behind the WK suspension. Just me...if I had money to throw around it would be different. I personally like to know what I'm talking about when someone throws a question at me about my Jeep/other cars. Especially being a girl they don't give me a break unless I know what I'm talkin about!

JETLIFE 09-26-2011 09:59 AM

I dont understand how it could take anyone that long to install springs. Are you guys using a hoist and pneumatic tools? It takes me and my buddy 30 minutes per corner, I've done it twice a year for the past 4 years!

AShoe 09-26-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .moneen. (Post 490282)
I dont understand how it could take anyone that long to install springs. Are you guys using a hoist and pneumatic tools? It takes me and my buddy 30 minutes per corner, I've done it twice a year for the past 4 years!

Perhaps that's why you are so fast, experience. I know now exactly what to do and what I need to do it. You also have to factor in I have 75xxx on the Jeep and it had never been taken apart by the previous owner...those bolts were very stuck and packed with rust/road grime. After getting the first one off on passenger front, the rest took a couple of hours...the back is cake!

4.whoa 09-26-2011 04:10 PM

You could always replace the isolators. I changed all of those & the strut mounts when i did mine(wk eibachs,but same drop) and had NO issues, and EVERYTHING is new & tight :thumbsup:

05HEMI 09-26-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JETLIFE (Post 490282)

It took me so long to do the one side because of all the rust, the one bolt on the bottom of the strut took like 2 hours to come loose but now if I were to do it, it probably take 30 mins or so to take it apart.... Canadian winters you should know all about it living in Baire.

and I can't justify paying an arm and a leg for a shop to do it when I can do it.
Is there a part number anywhere for and srt isolated maybe I will pick one up for the next time I try to install the spring just hopefully the other side won't be as rusted.