Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   firewall wire feeding (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/firewall-wire-feeding-28969.html)

bematare 09-25-2011 03:29 PM

firewall wire feeding

Where can I feed 3 small wires from my bumper up through the engine bay to the cockpit.. I've checked here; http://www.wjjeeps.com/firewall_1.jpg

But I can't seem to find that port in the picture..

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/how-to-wj-fogs-with-high-beams-6475.html

I'm still trying to figure out how he fed the wires up through there.. any help would be appreciated :-)

Also, (these are LED DRL's) where should I ground them on the frame? I can't find any screws to put them on, can I just ziptie them to the frame, or tape them? :slapfight:

206WJ 09-25-2011 06:26 PM

Re: firewall wire feeding

That port is a lillte lower than the picture looks itts to the bottom right of the brake booster.

When I did mine. I actually just drilled a small hole and used a gromet to go through the hole and a bit of silacone to make sure it's water tight.

How are you mounting the lights exactly? in the factory bumper?

There are 2 good ground screws (One on each side) of the engine bay. You will see about 3 wires already on each. You can use these for your ground.

bematare 09-25-2011 07:30 PM

You know where the positive terminal for the fusebox under the steering wheel?

I found the hole, I cut it with a screwdriver, ziptied my wire to my screwdriver and slammed it through, and grabbed it from the other side.

Yeah the strips are mounted in the 2nd grille slot of the 3 in the OEM bumper w/o fog lights

The problem is the wires the kit came with are very short and don't reach up to the engine bay, so far I've attached them to screws in the fender infront of the "wheel well guard"

I'll keep you guys updated, currently I've wired everything except one ground wire, and the ground wire for the inside.. in the dash.. still looking :D

bematare 09-25-2011 11:13 PM

Having trouble connecting the fuse into the fusebox under the steering wheel, it won't stay in place.. and keeps popping out whenever I try to put the cover back on.. Any advice?

Should I splice the wire into another wire with a bigger/better fuse?

JeepMe 09-26-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bematare (Post 490163)
Having trouble connecting the fuse into the fusebox under the steering wheel, it won't stay in place.. and keeps popping out whenever I try to put the cover back on.. Any advice?

Should I splice the wire into another wire with a bigger/better fuse?

The fuse should fit back into the slot like normal. The only reason I can think it keeps popping out is that you have wrapped a wire around one of the tabs and are trying to push it back in that way. If so, stop ghetto rigging your Jeep and do it right. :slapfight:

Also, do NOT get a bigger fuse. Bigger is NOT better for fuses. The stock fuse is that size because it's the proper size to protect your wiring. If you go with a bigger fuse, it will allow more current to flow before blowing. This means there's now a potential to melt your wiring and catch the Jeep on fire. I've seen it happen before.

If you must add it to the fuse box, go to your local auto store and buy an "add-a-fuse" from them. It's a fuse holder that has a crimpable wire coming off one side. I'm not a huge fan of them but it's 100x better than wrapping the wire around one of the fuse lugs.

bematare 09-26-2011 09:24 AM

The wire has a fuse tooth at the end(fork if you will), but it's just not staying in place.. will keep trying :-)

bematare 09-26-2011 09:30 PM

Err, its shape like a Y(this is the part im trying to connecting..

bematare 09-27-2011 12:18 AM

Here is a diagram, above is what it looks like, and below is what it looks like(minus the end piece on the left) : [IMG]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv149/uhasd/wire.png[/IMG]

I've got all my wires connected and grounded as of now, one of my LED strips(bought for $20) isn't really working..only 1 of the 6 bulbs is working.. I don't have a picture because my phone was dead, but it does actually look really nice.. Once I get the money I will be upgrading to some actual "bright" LED's

Anyways, as you can see in the diagram, the fuse is in a cap, and at the end there is a Y connector piece, now the question I have is; How in the hell do I connect it into one of the empty(10,11,13) slots in the fusebox, and have it stay in place.. currently when I put it in the "empty/spare" fuse spaces it does not receive power(I've only had it get power once, and I've re-tried and had 0 power given to the switch, and I connected it to the place where you connect the thingy-ma-jing that tells you what the codes mean(when service light engine is on)

Also, looking in the wheel well for the drivers side I can't find a screw, or bolt that the ground wire can actually fit and I can put a washer over it, any ideas? I bought some "wheel well screws" from Autozone, but I don't have any washers, or nuts that go around it.. any ideas on that?

Thanks for the help guys, really do appreciate it, will be having some quality HD pictures coming soon ;-)

Help ASAP would be nice! ;D

TJXJWJ 09-27-2011 07:58 AM

That "y" is not meant to be jammed into the fuse box...it's meant to be attached to a power wire. You can cut the "y" off , strip off the insulation and attach it to a power wire by splicing. Be careful with electrical dude...I know you're fairly new to this.

The harness has it's own fuse because it's meant to be spliced into power directly. If you bolted that "y" onto your battery, you'd be in business.

bematare 09-27-2011 09:03 AM

Ah ok, the problem is the cable is not long enough to reach the battery so I've been being a tard and jamming that in the fusebox..

TJXJWJ 09-27-2011 11:46 AM

They rarely are...and don't be a tard when it comes to Jeeps...heehhehe.

You can always extend the wire. Just splice in a longer length, or find power inside. Maybe splice off your power outlet below the stereo.

bematare 09-27-2011 01:29 PM

Hahhah, well I am a tard when it comes to electric wiring..

But what I have is a Switch, main power wire(connects to LED lights) and then the Y connector with the fuse.. on my little instructions they say to connect it to positive side of the battery, or to the fusebox. I'd prefer to connect to it to the fusebox, but I don't know how, and I'm scared of batteries and I don't want to touch it and die, nor do I really know how to affix it properly to the battery, and turning off the battery.. I think I might just leave it alone for now.. even though its such a cool mod.. :slapfight: