Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Roof Rack Holes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/roof-rack-holes-28982.html)

Sigz 09-25-2011 09:54 PM

Roof Rack Holes

Hey gang, I'm wanting to give my stock 08 JGC a little different look, and am wanting to remove my roof rack for the fall/winter.

I understand how to remove it, but I take it that there will be four holes on top of the roof where the side rails went on?

Is there anything I need to buy to close the holes, or is there something from the side rail that could screw in there?

CreeperJeeper 09-26-2011 05:02 AM

Re: Roof Rack Holes

You could buy the SRT/Laredo rails. Those are flat, and don't stick up as much as the regular roof rails.

Sigz 09-26-2011 07:53 PM

I would rather not have any rack up there.

crosshair 09-26-2011 08:42 PM

I used the plastic plugs you can get at an auto parts store. Also used black rtv to prevent water leaking..

HemiDawg 09-29-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosshair (Post 490578)
I used the plastic plugs you can get at an auto parts store. Also used black rtv to prevent water leaking..

This is what a lot of the guys on the X5 board have done to eliminate their racks because there is no option like the SRT rails for the X5 (Gen 1 models). They take the plugs and paint them to match body color.

chrischerns@gmail.com 10-06-2011 09:27 AM

i grabbed the plugs for a nearby auto parts store, painted them to match the car and used a sealant so water couldn't get in..

i believe there is a thread that gives you a writeup showing how to take them off that also includes the plugging process

GratefulDeadWK 10-07-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrischerns@gmail.com (Post 494955)
i grabbed the plugs for a nearby auto parts store, painted them to match the car and used a sealant so water couldn't get in..

i believe there is a thread that gives you a writeup showing how to take them off that also includes the plugging process

Can I buy your hardware for the rails?

chrischerns@gmail.com 10-07-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GratefulDeadWK (Post 495491)
Can I buy your hardware for the rails?

sure just pm me with an offer

bumpin_jeep 10-19-2011 10:28 PM

I took mine off a month or two ago and filled the holes with silicone. I got plugs from the auto part store, but they were a tad to big so I left them out. Kind of regret doing it since it doesn't look as nice, but it's an easy fix.

Just make sure to use a lot of sealant so it doesn't leak. And use a wet paper towel when filling them to wipe up the excess.