Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Recirculating air doesn't seem to work (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/recirculating-air-doesnt-seem-to-work-28984.html)

thex2 09-25-2011 11:49 PM

Recirculating air doesn't seem to work

I posted on this a while back and didn't get any good responses, so I figured I'd give it another shot. My recirculating air button doesn't do anything. If there's a vehicle in front of my with a smelly exhaust, the button that's supposed to recirculate the air in the cabin doesn't help at all. I have the aftermarket cabin air filter installed in the vehicle. This helps with the dust/pollen, etc, but it doesn't help with the vehicles that have horrible smelling exhausts. Does anybody know where this door/valve is located that the recirculating air button is supposed to open/shut? I figured if I at least knew where it was at, then maybe I could dig my way in and figure out what's stopping it from closing. Any feedback on this would be great. Thanks in advance!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-26-2011 03:08 AM

Re: Recirculating air doesn't seem to work

I think it is under the cabin air filter and accessible through the glove box........ Im not 100% certain though

4.whoa 09-26-2011 04:19 PM

Did you have the front defroster on by chance? If so the recirc wont work.

Marlin 09-26-2011 05:24 PM

They're quite finicky with what settings you have (I'm referring to Limited + full climate control).
In some instances, it won't allow recirc. Try altering your settings.

I find it always reverts to fresh after a restart too FWIW.

snooker 09-26-2011 06:50 PM

I had the same problem with mine. The problem ended up being that the plastic gear that attaches the electric motor to the door desintegrated. You can see it by removing the glove box. The dealer sells a new and stronger plastic gear but it comes with the blend door housing. I was able to get it for less than $50 and replace only the broken gear. Replacing the whole housing would have been a major undertaking when only the gear was broken.
Hope this helps.

thex2 09-27-2011 08:47 PM

Also, I probably should have specified.. the light turns on when I turn on the A/C circulation button, so it's not anything like the defroster preventing it from engaging. Thanks for the tips though because that very well could have been an easy solution :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by snooker (Post 490526)
I had the same problem with mine. The problem ended up being that the plastic gear that attaches the electric motor to the door desintegrated. You can see it by removing the glove box. The dealer sells a new and stronger plastic gear but it comes with the blend door housing. I was able to get it for less than $50 and replace only the broken gear. Replacing the whole housing would have been a major undertaking when only the gear was broken.
Hope this helps.

This sounds very promising. I'll check it out and see what I find. Thanks for the tips.

thex2 10-09-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snooker (Post 490526)
Hope this helps.

My gear had fallen off. It was hanging right beneath the electric motor. Thanks for the tip. It'll be nice to finally have this resolved :D

snooker 10-09-2011 10:37 AM

Excellent. I'm glad it was an easy fix and nothing needed to be replaced.