Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Kicker Amp Activation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/kicker-amp-activation-28994.html)

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 09:02 AM

Kicker Amp Activation

Figured I would be the first to post in this section :thumbsup:

Just installed the Kicker upgrade this weekend following the directions posted on wkjeeps.com. All went well, except that I can't seem to get the surround sound to activate. I have followed the directions on raising and lowering the volume two clicks each way within 3 seconds, but can't really tell a difference in the sound. Also, the instructions say when it is activated that you cannot adjust the balance - have not been able to lock it out.

The instructions also mention something about you might have to "activate" the amp or get the HU to recognize it is there, but I have been unable to find the instructions on how to do this. I am just wondering if this might be my problem.

Appreciate any input!

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-26-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Kicker Amp Activation

i have the same problem

robpp 09-26-2011 12:35 PM

hmmmmm mine activated when i had the original HU and did the install/

did you guys have BA or NONE back there to begin with?

robpp 09-26-2011 12:45 PM

i assume you are testing using the balance.......my reading says if its working or IN DSS mode the balance knob will NOT do anything/

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-26-2011 01:56 PM

i had the BA system and upgraded everything to the kicker kit. there is definately no difference after the surround sound is activated in my jeep.

Milous 09-26-2011 02:04 PM

Try this:

1. put the drivers side window in the down position.
2. turn the key to the off position.
3. get out of the car and close the drivers door.
4. wait 5 minutes and then reach in thru the window and turn the key to run. (do not start vehicle)
5. let sit for 2 minutes
6. reach in and turn key to off

This should reset the amp to search for the vehicles cabin ID from the CAN BUS system. Once the amp identifies this, all the controls should work perfectly. This procedure will not have to be done again in the future, as the amp stores the cabin ID.

--Milous

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 490353)
i assume you are testing using the balance.......my reading says if its working or IN DSS mode the balance knob will NOT do anything/

Right, balance on mine is still active even after multiple tries of engaging.

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 490385)
i had the BA system and upgraded everything to the kicker kit. there is definately no difference after the surround sound is activated in my jeep.

Ditto

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 490392)
Try this:

1. put the drivers side window in the down position.
2. turn the key to the off position.
3. get out of the car and close the drivers door.
4. wait 5 minutes and then reach in thru the window and turn the key to run. (do not start vehicle)
5. let sit for 2 minutes
6. reach in and turn key to off

This should reset the amp to search for the vehicles cabin ID from the CAN BUS system. Once the amp identifies this, all the controls should work perfectly. This procedure will not have to be done again in the future, as the amp stores the cabin ID.

--Milous

Seriously??!!! :lol: If this was from anyone but Milous I would be like "yeah, righhhhhhht".

OK, I'll try it...

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-26-2011 02:16 PM

That still doesnt fix it for me

robpp 09-26-2011 02:25 PM

one note.

if your SOURCE is NOT SURROUND you will not notice anything. only says that the balance goes away no matter what.

HemiDawg 09-26-2011 02:33 PM

First attempt didn't work - trying again.

Question - when it says to adjust the volume up and down, does it mean two "clicks" each way or two volume bars each way? Because each "click" is half of a volume bar.