Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hit and Run (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hit-and-run-28997.html)

Sgman16 09-26-2011 09:38 AM

Hit and Run

1 Attachment(s)
Got hit in the front passenger side fender over the weekend...Looks like someones mirror did this damage, but don't know for sure. My body shop guy said he has to replace the entire panel because it's too difficult to get the dent out with all the lines. Any thoughts on that from any body shop experts? Some people just don't care about other peoples property.

AAAA 09-26-2011 09:41 AM

Re: Hit and Run

Boston drivers!!

BuckeyeSRT 09-26-2011 10:17 AM

Oh man sorry to hear that.

Eric67 09-26-2011 10:20 AM

That sucks.:(
I think the body shop is right; replace the front fender !

Chaoul1 09-26-2011 10:24 AM

Did it take any paint off? If not then you can get a Professional Paintless Dent Removal guy to come out and take care of that. And then get that mark polished out.

Technosavant 09-26-2011 10:28 AM

There's no way paintless dent removal can do something that big... the paint and clearcoat would be cracked underneath, even IF the guy managed to get the dent out.

I feel for you; my wife's Infiniti went into the body shop today to fix a five inch long gash in the driver's door. Some punk got the thing good in a parking lot and didn't take responsibility.

There's no shortage of people who don't have anything nice and therefore don't want you to have anything nice.

BHHJEEP 09-26-2011 10:34 AM

No dent king is fixing that. Body shop is right.

Where you parked anywhere near surveillance cameras? Might be worth trying to see if it was caught on film.

Were you in a parking garage? The person might be a regular and if so his mirror will be pretty scrapped up. It will be like CSI but could end up saving you a chunk of cash. You do live in America after all so SUE SUE SUE!

Jeeters 09-26-2011 11:27 AM

That's a very sharp crease on the side next to the head light. It's going to need replaced.

Sgman16 09-26-2011 12:03 PM

Yea, I don't think pro dent remover can do anything from looking at it up close. I want to avoid insurance, but my body shop so far estimated about 1300 because he wants to fade the paint into the door and hood. Car is only 3 months old, so I am hoping that won't be necessary. My body shop has worked on my BMW's before and he does great work (but usually I know who hit me and they pay for it). I want it done right, but not overkill.

robpp 09-26-2011 12:33 PM

for insurance and driving records: KEEP the police report for that. it should show that you reported a HIT AND RUN while you were legally parked. THIS IS A NON CHARGEABLE CLAIM. it cannot be held against your driving record. HOWEVER it is up to YOU to prove that if needed in the future so SAVE ANY PROOF OF THAT.

there are places like CLUE that provide claim records but nothing else so if your insurance pays that claim they have a record. you go get new insurance and they may try to now CHARGE that claim to you unless YOU can prove it was non chargeable.

anyway just save the paperwork/

jeep2011 09-26-2011 12:46 PM

Wow thats one heck of a mirror if it can do that much damage without breaking off. Hope they get it taken care of quickly for you!!

Willir2 09-27-2011 04:50 PM

You are definitely going to be getting a new fender, Lucky that the car is new so you should be getting an OEM Fender, possibly refurbished, if the latter make sure you ask that it is Insurance grade.