Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Saw the new WK2 SRT8 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/saw-the-new-wk2-srt8-29005.html)

MikeD 09-26-2011 11:44 AM

Saw the new WK2 SRT8

So I went up to Denver to check out the new SRT8, look's much better in person especially the wheel's, overall I like it much better than my Overland. I spoke to an engineer that is in charge of the Challenger and made a comment about the higher price, he went into how much everything was like tooling for the SRT steering wheel costing 2 million to develop, the 6 piston brakes, and transmission with paddles. I said something about not being able to rev match and he said you could do left foot braking and still give it gas so that is good. One other thing he said on price was that the competition is so much higher in price and they are trying to attract buyer's that won't even look at the car if the price is too low, nice. So I did like it better than I thought but no way am I going to pay that much for a Jeep after the quality issues I have had with my Overland, rattles constantly and feel's like a V6 not a "Hemi". I hope the new people they attract for the higher price are patient and don't expect service like Mercedes or BMW when they have issues.

Marlin 09-26-2011 05:29 PM

Re: Saw the new WK2 SRT8

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

I gotta say, as someone who is currently trying to decide on where to go next, people reporting all these niggling quality issues is a concern to me. I'm a super fussy guy, and like perfection.

jeep2011 09-26-2011 05:46 PM

Marlin,

I am extremely picky as well. I have to say my early build limited was almost perfect the day I picked it up. I can not say so much for my late build 2011 overland. Moldings do not line up, the lift gate is off center, and the carpet wasn't tucked beside the rear seats. I would not mind the higher price if the quality matched the price as well as a better dealer experience. I totally understand trying to attract a new type of buyer, but there is no guarantee the quality will be better than the regular WKII's. If it isn't increased the new type of buyers the price will bring will cringe and be turned off.

Marlin 09-26-2011 05:53 PM

Thanks mate.

Laredo's are awesome value here in Australia ($45k), but as usual, the premium models attract outrageous price increases ($75 for Overland!).

Whilst I've been mostly happy with my WK1 Limited ($82k new!), it must be remembered that it was built in Europe, not the US, and like all export Jeeps of the period, subject to better fit and finish expectations.

With Jeep reverting to US assembly, I'll admit I have reservations.
YES, upon inspection the interior materials quality is an improvement over previous, but the actual fit of the parts seems quite variable.

Whilst I could forgive a few imperfections here and there if we Aussie's paid US prices, we don't, and for $100g or thereabouts I would want my JEEP SRT to be damned near perfect.

BostonDMD 09-26-2011 06:55 PM

Marlin, the new SRT is not worth $100g, and for that matter no SUV is, but compared to the competition Cryco. has a price edge.

Hopefully the quality and performance will shine, otherwise it will be my first and last Jeep.....

Marlin 09-26-2011 07:35 PM

True mate. But unfortunately, we've become accustomed to paying FAR too much for vehicles here. (Your Cayenne V8? Approx 150k. The Turbo? 200k plus) Laughable.

BostonDMD 09-26-2011 07:41 PM

Ouch......:eek:

The average Joe must make $100g/year down under......:)

Marlin 09-26-2011 07:46 PM

No they don't actually...... Average wage earner is mid 40's I think?

You guys get stuff mega-cheap! When we go over there we can never believe it.... and beer, at a convenience store too! LMAO :)

RECDOG 09-27-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 490556)
No they don't actually...... Average wage earner is mid 40's I think?

You guys get stuff mega-cheap! When we go over there we can never believe it.... and beer, at a convenience store too! LMAO :)

Fosters is great beer
:thumbsup:

Marlin 09-27-2011 06:19 PM

lol, it's actually quite shit. None of us drink it... "cat's piss" lolol :p

BostonDMD 09-27-2011 07:24 PM

Kind of like of Corona, nobody drinks it in Mexico........

RECDOG 09-28-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 490980)
lol, it's actually quite shit. None of us drink it... "cat's piss" lolol :p

lol really