Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   What to look for? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/what-to-look-for-29046.html)

Blasphemy 09-27-2011 12:16 PM

What to look for?

Hi guys,
I just rolled my old 96xj on a camping trip and now looking for a new jeep.
I have my eyes on a WJ 4.7 but know nothing about the car or engine.
Was wondering if you guys could give me pointers on what to look for before purchasing to make sure I dont get a lemon.
Thanks in Advance.

01grand 09-27-2011 01:55 PM

Re: What to look for?

What year? Laredo, Limited, or Overland? How many miles? I love my 01 4.7L WJ! If it is a 2002 or newer I would check to see if the front brake calipers have been upgraded, if not thats an easy enough upgrade when you do brakes if you do that stuff yourself. I'm not too sure of anything in particular to look for other than make sure the engine oil, tranny, tcase and diff fluids have been changed regularly and are in good shape. If the seller provides a good clean maintenance history the Jeep is probably in good shape for a long time to come. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Frango100 09-27-2011 04:34 PM

Many WJ´s have problems with the airconditioning blend doors. (especially on the automatic zone control system). So check if hot and cold air comes out of the vents depending on the temp selection.
When doing a test drive, listen for any strange sounds coming from differentials or T-case. Have a look under the jeep for any leak coming from diffs or T-case. (could mean low fluid level and eventual internal damage because of this)
The 4.7 engine itself is a good engine. Look if the cooling liquid in the overflow reservoir is clean and if no air bubbles appear with the engine running. (these engines don´t like to be overheated and when this happened, the heads can have warped and the headgasket damaged, resulting in combustion gasses into the cooling liquid, or cooling liquid into the combustion chamber. Smell the exhaust as well for any strange sweet smell).
See if the transmission shifts gears without strange noises. However you will hear some noise when you put it in gear.
Also have a look through the previous threads, so that you have an idea what problems generally appear.

TJXJWJ 09-27-2011 09:03 PM

If you can, look for an 04...obviously, the last GC with dual solid axles. There were some minor appearance changes, and I'm pretty sure a lot of the bugs were worked out. The brakes aren't an issue on the 04, and fewer folks seem to have blend door problems. I came from a 98XJ with a lift. As much as I loved my XJ, would never go back.

Blasphemy 09-27-2011 09:56 PM

Thanks heaps guys,
I am in North Qld Australia, and the Wj is a 2000 build, complianced 2001
Its got some nice mods and 133000k's so I think thats approx 100k miles
Will post a pic of the XJ soon.
I have heard the 4.7's were prone to bending valves and cracking heads, but I have read that comes down to maintenance... and actually looking at the temp gauge from time to time :)

Blasphemy 09-27-2011 10:36 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JEEP-WJ-G...item35b56d25e9

Sorry its a Grand Cherokee Laredo

Frango100 09-28-2011 06:04 AM

Looks nice, several mods on it. This jeep has the manual temp control for the airconditioning which only has one blend door and normally doesn´t give problems with it. Still good though to check if heating and airco works.

Gus9890 10-01-2011 10:09 AM

A have a '01 Limited, love it!

bematare 10-02-2011 11:15 AM

look for rust

JeepMe 10-03-2011 07:51 AM

I would look for leaking rear axle seals. Pull off the rear wheel, look behind the rotor, and see if it's leaking fluid around the parking brake assembly. Another crude way you can try is put it in drive and try to hold it in place w/ the parking brake. If the parking brake won't hold it, it either needs new parking brake shoes or it has leaking axle seals (leaked oil on the parking brake shoes).