Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730 RHR Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730-rhr-question-29064.html)

watchdog507 09-27-2011 07:35 PM

730 RHR Question

I just picked up my GC Overland last week. I was poking around in the display and I noticed that my HD is 11 GB not 30 GB as per specs. Is this right? I don't really care because I have most of my music on an Iphone 4 and it has more capacity. Still cheaping out on a few pennies and foresaking a 30 GB microdrive annoys me. Should be 300 GB at todays technology prices for a HD.

Lingohocken 09-27-2011 08:45 PM

Re: 730 RHR Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchdog507 (Post 491008)
Should be 300 GB at todays technology prices for a HD.

Unless it's a SSD, which would make sense in a mobile environment but costs much more per GB. BTW, the nav chews up hard disk space.

ColdCase 09-28-2011 06:20 AM

Thats right, lots of discussion here maybe a year ago. The nav chews up some space but it seems the Harmon OS only recognizes/uses a portion of the provided hardware anyway. It is a 30 Gig rotational drive in there (rugged). There are a number of 730 RHR quirks I hope they fix soon.

watchdog507 09-28-2011 08:09 AM

The weird thing is that it says that there is a 'total' of 11 GB .5 GB used and 10.5 GB available. This implies a smaller drive.

ColdCase 09-28-2011 06:34 PM

Not necessarily. You put a 60 GB drive in your computer, format it, load the operating system, how much do you have left? Same thing with this radio. The radio software displays the capacity left for your music/photos. The rest of the drive is reserved for Nav maps and applications.. grace notes.. voice commands, POIs perhaps. In other words, its a 30 GB unformatted drive, you loose some capacity in formatting, then take away all the space for the operating system, applications, and data, and you are left with 11GB for your stuff. 19GB for the radio, 11GB for you :) Many radios do better, but the 730 does not.

Eubster 09-28-2011 08:09 PM

Here's another dumb question. Is there a way to play songs that have been uploaded to the hard-drive in a "shuffle" mode? All I can find is play all which just plays them in order.

Findirman 09-28-2011 10:36 PM

To play songs in shuffle mode on the hard drive: select hard drive, press the hard menu key and then press soft shuffle key.

Kev- 09-29-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 491496)
Not necessarily. You put a 60 GB drive in your computer, format it, load the operating system, how much do you have left?

The computer would indicate around 50-55GB total space (formatting itself uses some), and around 45-50GB available after a fresh Win7 install. Fill it all the way up with programs, music, videos, whatever, the total is still 55GB.

However, since it's NOT a computer, the drive may be partitioned in a way that you can't see all of it. One partition could be for the navigation, totally unseen by the bit which tells you how much space you have.

ColdCase 09-29-2011 06:18 AM

Yeah, perhaps a bad example on my part. The point I was trying to make is the OS running on the radio is not the same OS as on your PC. The radio displays the amount of memory you have available for music/photos, user stuff, not the size of the underlying hardware. In PC terms you can think of it as a drive partition of about 11GB, and the info displayed is only about that partition.

You may have expected more available memory, but the display is showing you only the portion of the drive this radio gives you.. and how much of that is currently available. It doesn't tell you anything else about the total drive size.