Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Rep your oil and filter! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/rep-your-oil-and-filter-29115.html)

hella_wk 09-29-2011 03:08 AM

Rep your oil and filter!

Did a couple searches about Oil Changes and didn't find much, So a new thread it was! :thumbsup:

I Just started to recently change my own oil to save a couple bucks, and i couldn't decided on what brand to go with..... after a few google searches between Castrol synthetic and Mobil 1 synthetic, i went with the higher priced Castrol, because of bi-est reviews and Castrols claimed 30% better horse power! haha.
And after a few youtube videos, i returned my "Fram" oil filter and went with Fords "Motocraft" oil filer (which is also cheaper!) SO FAR SO GOOD! But because the price, i was thinking of going to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I guess time will tell!

So if your know what oil goes in ur car, Or change your own oil. Rep your oil and oil filters here!

Id like to know what others are putting in their precious JEEPS! :D

POST AWAY!

misfit77 09-29-2011 03:17 AM

Re: Rep your oil and filter!

I always used cheap oil (delo, castrol gtx etc) in my XJ. Changes at 3k miles with a Fram filter.

Bought it with 50k miles sold it at 187K miles, no engine issues.

My 2006 WK gets Mobile 1 and Fram at 5k miles.

hella_wk 09-29-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 491684)
I always used cheap oil (delo, castrol gtx etc) in my XJ. Changes at 3k miles with a Fram filter.

Bought it with 50k miles sold it at 187K miles, no engine issues.

My 2006 WK gets Mobile 1 and Fram at 5k miles.

I cant decide if i wanna go to mobile 1, but i heard of people having trouble with it burning off.
Are u doing regular or synthetic?

and you should research those "Fram" filters, those are a NO NO for me now. Ford makes a good "Motorcraft" oil filter that fits our jeeps!
Or literally anything but Fram lol

But that's good news on the XJ sounds like the regular oil changes help :thumbsup:

dr.lee.baugh 09-29-2011 06:19 AM

I'll go with whatever synthetic and good quality filter is on sale and change it every 3,000 miles.

Simple.

155,000+ miles, no engine trouble.

TJXJWJ 09-29-2011 07:48 AM

There is a thread somewhere on this...I just couldn't tell you where. Maybe the Garage?
Anyhow...
Mobil 1 in the 3.7 WK with a K&N oil filter
Royal Purple in the 4.7HO WJ with a K&N oil filter

mayor bloom 09-29-2011 08:00 AM

Royal purple. Going every 6000 miles on it and that stuff is great. Will never use anything else

Sent from my DROIDX

Jimmym10 09-29-2011 08:46 AM

In my 3.7 wk I use Mobil 1 synthetic and factory mopar oil filter all sold at local Walmart for like $35 total. No problem with Mobil 1 burning drives great however I use to use royal purple in my mustang I use to have and also love that as well. I always think its worth to go full synthetic for an extra couple bucks.

jlewissystem 09-29-2011 09:16 AM

SO - what's the deal with FRAM? I've been using the TG or XG types without issue.......what do i need to know about them?

You're Limited 09-29-2011 09:22 AM

Get my oil changed at Jeep for $35 plus all fluid top-off. Every 6,000 miles. I don't understand why people change it every 3,000 miles especially if they use synthetic.

CPT2010 09-29-2011 09:47 AM

extra virgin olive oil, and folger's coffee filter.
dont knock it till you try it.

misfit77 09-29-2011 10:25 AM

I went with mobil 1 because my Turbo Golf has been on it for years. I drive the living piss out of my Golf with no issues, but I also change it every 2K miles.

Excessive yes, broken engine/turbo no.

01grand 09-29-2011 10:56 AM

Used to use Valvoline full synthetic and for a while fram, but once I learned better I started using Purolator pureone. Just this weekend I switched to Mobil 1 0w-30 and a mobil filter. We will see how this does, havent noticed much of a difference yet. Thought about royal purple but its hard to justify the extra cost, from those that use it do you notice any difference?

Edit: Used to change at 4k miles, going to start going to 6k now assuming everything goes ok. Years of Grandpa preaching 3k or less has been hard to make it comfortable for me to stretch it, but with modern synthetics and better filters Im sure I will be ok.