Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   EVIC warning "Brake" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/evic-warning-brake-29157.html)

Mary D 09-30-2011 09:21 AM

EVIC warning "Brake"

Hello All,

Since picking up my 2011 JGC Overland this week, everyday the EVIC center lights up saying BRAKE! periodically while driving.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Kevlars 09-30-2011 09:26 AM

Re: EVIC warning "Brake"

Usually that comes on when the FLC (forward looking camera) detects brake lights and your rate of closure is not dropping so the alert will come on. Mine sometimes goes off when someone is in the turning lane and I am passing them. I would say over the past month it has gone off a total of 3 times. I am sure that it would go off more if I were driving in traffic more. Hope that helps.

Mary D 09-30-2011 09:41 AM

Thanks Kevlars for that explanation, much appreciated. It is odd that the few times it went off there was no one in front of me as I was driving down a back winding country road.

Kevlars 09-30-2011 10:18 AM

ya that should not happen ....

Kevlars 09-30-2011 10:19 AM

just a question ... was the sun setting in front of you ...is it possible that it could have set it off?

Mary D 09-30-2011 11:41 AM

Nope, so I guess it's back to the dealer............

Andrew Klossner 09-30-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevlars (Post 492236)
Usually that comes on when the FLC (forward looking camera) detects brake lights ...

Wait, what? The ACC uses radar, not light. The FLC is used only to control the high beams, at least according to the owner's manual.

77Cherokee 10-01-2011 10:48 AM

Mary, you stated that you were on a winding road. I believe objects alongside the road when it turns sharply can set off the FCW, especially at higer speed. It happened to me only once but I may have been going faster than usual. FCW does use radar, not light sensitivity.

Kevlars 10-02-2011 12:17 AM

Ok if it uses radar only then why when a car stopped right in front of me with brake lights out .. and the warning did not go off.

I asked the dealer this and they said that it uses a combination of both radar and lights, that is why the auto high beams can sense lights comeing at you or lights in front of you.

I am no expert on this system only can tell you what I have experineced and what the dealer has told me.

Cheers

andyh 10-02-2011 07:43 AM

Your dealer is blowing smoke

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

sined240 10-02-2011 08:33 AM

It means one of two things,
1. Your not paying attention to what's ahead of you.
2. Your following too closely.

Kevlars 10-02-2011 08:39 AM

AndyYH,---Yup I would agree, the dealer has no idea how his car works ...looked it up in the sacred book of Cherokee page 148, the auto high beams is done via a camera behind the rearview mirror :eek:- nothing to do with the ACC or sub sytems. So Mary if you keep getting the "BRAKE !!! or your going to die" messages at different times with nothing around ... I would say its "Dealer time" :thumbsup:

Cheers!