Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Infamous "key not detected" problem. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/infamous-key-not-detected-problem-29164.html)

sidneyj 09-30-2011 12:39 PM

Infamous "key not detected" problem.

I thought I'd start a new thread since ALL the research I've done on this know one indicates this feedback. I got the key not detected on both of my key fobs last week and couldn't start my Jeep. I called the dealer and they informed me to pull out the remote start switch and insert the key fob manually and turn it to start it. That worked. I read countless threads and replys where the key fob wasn't detected and people were having there Jeeps towed. I'm not certain but know one mentions to pull out the remote switch to start it manually.

Am I missing something or is this new info? I haven't had a chance to read all of my owners manual yet but I assume that info is in there? I am going to keep a plastic trim removing tool and a thin towel in my Jeep at all times in case this happens again in the future.

darkrt 09-30-2011 02:21 PM

Re: Infamous "key not detected" problem.

Just hook a couple finger nails around the edges,pops right out.

Dan JGC 09-30-2011 03:43 PM

It just pops out....not a biggie. When it says key not detected I take the fob out of my pocket.....seems to do the trick in a few seconds. Key not detected is intermittent. There is a TSB regarding it. Again you can just pop the cover off the ignition or just leave it off....you can use your finger to push to start too with cover off.....did that with a rental Durango.

Breitling65 09-30-2011 07:31 PM

Happened to me too many times, any reason for this? Another annoying issue is false tire pressure alarm. It starts flashing for some time even when pressure is OK. Disappears after by itself. Never happened to any other cars of mine with pressure monitors.

Dan JGC 09-30-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 492504)
Happened to me too many times, any reason for this? Another annoying issue is false tire pressure alarm. It starts flashing for some time even when pressure is OK. Disappears after by itself. Never happened to any other cars of mine with pressure monitors.

There is a TSB that addresses this AND dealers are replacing FOBs too. Don't know about your tire pressure false warnings...

STIX 09-30-2011 08:09 PM

I just press unlock on the FOB and bam. Fixed.

Dan JGC 10-01-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 492528)
I just press unlock on the FOB and bam. Fixed.

The problem isn't with the fob transmitter.....the problem is with the keyless part where the jeep fails to detect it in the area that it is in. So pressing unlock will unlock it but keyless feature will still fail to work. Been there, done that.

UNCjeepWK2 10-01-2011 10:52 AM

Had the TSB done several months ago... haven't had that problem at all since then.

chibianh 10-01-2011 11:55 AM

i had this issue at the beginning too. Took out the battery and reseated it and i don't remember having the issue again. Maybe the dealer applied the TSB the last time i brought it in.. who knows.

AAAA 10-01-2011 12:29 PM

Also keep extra fob batteries in glove box.

sidneyj 10-01-2011 02:41 PM

Took mine in Friday to stealer and they had to order a part. Service "Manager", uh hum, didn't know what part. Says it wasn't the fobs and says it wasn't the TSB reflash. I asked if it was the WIN module and he said no but didn't know what part. I hope not but I have a glass half empty feeling here. We'll see next week.

sidneyj 10-01-2011 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I should mention that initially I got the key not detected message then it said "key damaged" after I kept trying to get the fob to work.