Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Tire Inflation With Nitrogen (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/tire-inflation-with-nitrogen-29172.html)

watchdog507 09-30-2011 03:52 PM

Tire Inflation With Nitrogen

Hi,

I've got a 2012 Overland V8. There's a sticker on the windshield that has a picture of a tire and says that nitrogen top ups are free? Are the GC's tires filled with nitrogen? I know that the closed air suspension is nitrogen.

Sparro 09-30-2011 04:12 PM

Re: Tire Inflation With Nitrogen

If your valve stem caps are green then there is nitrogen in there. If they are the standard black caps, just regular air.

watchdog507 09-30-2011 04:27 PM

Hmm you're right. The cap is chrome with a green ring and the centre of the cap says N2. I wonder if this is standard?

Sparro 09-30-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchdog507 (Post 492430)
Hmm you're right. The cap is chrome with a green ring and the centre of the cap says N2. I wonder if this is standard?

I'll let you know in about 8 weeks. That's how long my dealer said it would take for my factory order to arrive... I hope it comes in 4 weeks like yours.

Echo22 09-30-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchdog507 (Post 492430)

I'll let you know - picking mine up tomorrow afternoon. :)

EDIT: Mine are plain ole air. Black plastic cap, no green.

Jeremy1983 09-30-2011 06:28 PM

The Nitrogen came standard with my Overland.

barl0 09-30-2011 06:28 PM

yep, mine had it too. I did not have a choice, and refused to pay the extra cash for it. You will receive a paper certificate as well, and the dealership will fill it for free each time. I powder coated my rims 2 days after i drove it off the lot...i swear i saw green little dollar signs spewing out of those stems when the let the air out of em :)

johhn14 09-30-2011 06:42 PM

In general nitrogen should be better in the tires. No condensation (prevents corrosion from the inside out) and its less sensitive to temperature swings from season to season.

jeepnjeep 09-30-2011 08:47 PM

When I had the Generals put on my WK I was talked into the nitrogen scam. I noticed no difference at all and if anything they were more sensitive to temp changes. I had it done at a place I've been using for almost 30 years so I doubt if they screwed me and just used air. To me it's a waste and do you really know what is in there?

rich mac 09-30-2011 09:17 PM

I've always considered nitrogen fill as a source of additional profit for tire dealers. In fifty years of driving, I've never had a rim rust out, never had a tire weathercheck on the inside. I find it easy to check and adjust the pressure in the tires without having to find a source of nitrogen to top off my tires. The only possible benefit I can see would be for the TMPS sensor electronics, but haven't read or heard any discussion on that issue.

WoodyCanuck 09-30-2011 10:24 PM

It is standard now on new vehicles here in Canada.
My stepsons Ram Pickup came with Nitrogen in his tires.
IT costs about $30.00 to have your vehicle changed from regular air to N2

Sparro 09-30-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 492557)
I've always considered nitrogen fill as a source of additional profit for tire dealers. In fifty years of driving, I've never had a rim rust out, never had a tire weathercheck on the inside. I find it easy to check and adjust the pressure in the tires without having to find a source of nitrogen to top off my tires. The only possible benefit I can see would be for the TMPS sensor electronics, but haven't read or heard any discussion on that issue.

+1