Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   E550 vs Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/e550-vs-overland-29185.html)

Kev- 09-30-2011 10:54 PM

E550 vs Overland

No, this isn't a comparison.

My folks just picked up a 2008 E550. It's loaded to the sunroof, seems to have every option. Very nice car. They picked it up for $28,000, which seems very very good. There were two large noticeable scratches in the paint, which I assume are the reason for the discount.

I was a bit surprised by the hardness of the seats, though. It almost made me wonder if there was some problem with the seats and they weren't re-covered in the standard material. They're not soft to the touch, and they're not soft to pressure either. The "leather", if it's even leather, feels hard, almost abrasive. The padding isn't soft either.

Leaning my head back on the headrest was the first indication as I thought, "Wait, I thought this was a Mercedes E550!".

Then I wondered, is this "the way it is" for ventilated seats? I'd never actually been in a car with ventilated seats, that I recall. How do the seats in the Overland feel? I'm hoping for soft, supple leather, and comfortable but supportive padding. I gotta say, if the Overland seats feel like the seats in my folks' Merc, I'd have to buy something else :(

edogg23 09-30-2011 11:13 PM

Re: E550 vs Overland

The overland seats are very comfortable and soft. My only knock against them is that I wish the side bolsters were adjustable. I like seats that hug you in and these puppies are made for fat people lol.

Uncle Paul 09-30-2011 11:23 PM

Even in some expensive Mercedes they use their brand of vinyl seats. Called M-BTex.

Stuff lasts forever, and while not all that pleasant to the touch is easy to clean.

I have a E350 with the Designo interior, and think the Overland is much nicer.

Even the Leather, standard in my cheapie Laredo X is better than the Mercedes.

It is even quieter than the Mercedes and drives almost as smooth.

Mercedes has the far better transmission and engine though.

SW03ES 09-30-2011 11:48 PM

I have always really wanted to like Mercedes. I love the style and have always wanted one, but whenever I sit in one I am just totally turned off by the interior. Your folks' new E550 likely has MB-Tex as Uncle Paul said, almost all Benzes below the S Class, SL, CL, etc have MB Tex as standard and leather is a rare special order. Personally? I can't spend $60k on a car with pleather seats...or $50k...or $40k.

For instance I *love* the new E Class (and the previous E for that matter) but the interior is hard, angular, cold, and almost all of them have that MB Tex. Crummy feeling interior materials...its a shame.

walterhudson 10-01-2011 12:00 AM

My brother just bought a BMW X6 to the tune of 82K. The leather seats are also hard and uncomfortable. The GC leather is much classier and softer... go figure.

Kev- 10-01-2011 01:01 AM

Woohoo, great to hear. Especially that the WK2 is quieter than a Mercedes E, which is quite quiet. :)

HEEP-IN 19 10-01-2011 01:18 AM

the bmw had the leatherette and the benz had mb text my mom has a gl with leather and it is very soft and relaxing to sit in. she had a ml before that with the mb text that shit sucks so crappy

Eric67 10-01-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edogg23 (Post 492587)
The overland seats are very comfortable and soft. My only knock against them is that I wish the side bolsters were adjustable. I like seats that hug you in and these puppies are made for fat people lol.

+1. Adjustable side bolsters would be perfect for mee too. Seats and leather are great.

jeep2011 10-01-2011 09:05 AM

All german cars have firm seats. No they are not the american lounge chairs that the big 3 are starting to move away from. The WJ was the worst....comfortable yes, but looked like crap after a year and probably caused a few people fall asleep at the wheel.

walterhudson 10-01-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEEP-IN 19 (Post 492607)
the bmw had the leatherette and the benz had mb text my mom has a gl with leather and it is very soft and relaxing to sit in. she had a ml before that with the mb text that shit sucks so crappy

Nope, full leather standard on X6 4.4 V8. God, I would hope so at 82K list.

danielmkraft 10-02-2011 01:38 AM

Nothing more expensive than a cheap used luxury car......

Kev- 10-02-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 492661)
All german cars have firm seats. No they are not the american lounge chairs that the big 3 are starting to move away from. The WJ was the worst....comfortable yes, but looked like crap after a year and probably caused a few people fall asleep at the wheel.

I had a German car with leather seats. It was a Jetta built in Mexico, but still "Grrrman" by name. Heheh.

It's seats were not nearly as hard to the touch as this Merc's. The Jetta was a little firm at first, but conformed to my shape nicely after a short time, and was quite comfortable. This Merc should already be broken in, yet the seats don't look like or feel like they've ever been sat in. I guess they'll last a million miles. :D

I agree with the lounge chair statement, though I generally find them VERY uncomfortable for driving. I once rented a Grand Marquis for a long road trip, thinking it'd be comfy. It made my shoulders and back incredibly tired and achy. It would have been nice to watch a movie from, though.