Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Looking to purchase a WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/looking-to-purchase-a-wk-29218.html)

r0yj33p 10-01-2011 08:48 PM

Looking to purchase a WK

Hey guys, I'm Father Paul's cousin.

I'm looking to purchase a WK pref 05-10.

Was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what I should look for before I jump into the stealership? Like some sort of checklist. Any help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

and......

I like turtles. :lol:

Megatron 10-01-2011 08:49 PM

Re: Looking to purchase a WK

Welcome! I hope we find your dream jeep lol

tri0829 10-01-2011 08:52 PM

Check the lights in the interior that they all work you can't just replace the bulbs in these you have to replace the whole thing.

Also if you can try to get one with leather cause the cloth material is a pain to clean at least in the 05-07 not sure if they changed the material for 08+

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-02-2011 12:33 AM

welcome

DAVY27 10-02-2011 06:44 AM

more options on the 08+,redesign of the front bumper. The mygig is also a very nice feature to have.

Lucas J 10-02-2011 10:49 AM

Show me the Carfax!

HEMI57 10-02-2011 10:58 AM

to the post above, all the interior lights are replaceable and you do not need to swap out the whole assembly at all. That was some weird advice!

My advice:
-make sure front bumper lines up with body lines and the grill is sturdy (not loose). Those would be 2 signs of a front fender bender that didn't need to be fixed since it looks 90% and no one will notice.

-take it on the highway and listen for noise at cruising speeds. My last WK had wheel bearing and carrier bearing issues at highway speeds. Owner I bought it from thought it was normal. It is not, WK is fairly quiet on the highway.

-Check underneath for spots that look oddly new compared to the rest. Indicates something was replaced prematurely.

-08-10 models do have the front end revamped and a couple small things changed on the interior. Also MYGIG rocks compared to the old NAV system and touchscreen setup is 1,000x easier to use than the old REC unit

-I'm sure there are other things to look for that people will chime in with

Good luck!

tri0829 10-03-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEMI57 (Post 493070)
to the post above, all the interior lights are replaceable and you do not need to swap out the whole assembly at all. That was some weird advice!

My advice:
-make sure front bumper lines up with body lines and the grill is sturdy (not loose). Those would be 2 signs of a front fender bender that didn't need to be fixed since it looks 90% and no one will notice.

-take it on the highway and listen for noise at cruising speeds. My last WK had wheel bearing and carrier bearing issues at highway speeds. Owner I bought it from thought it was normal. It is not, WK is fairly quiet on the highway.

-Check underneath for spots that look oddly new compared to the rest. Indicates something was replaced prematurely.

-08-10 models do have the front end revamped and a couple small things changed on the interior. Also MYGIG rocks compared to the old NAV system and touchscreen setup is 1,000x easier to use than the old REC unit

-I'm sure there are other things to look for that people will chime in with

Good luck!

The lights in the climate control and information center as well as the radio are not replaceable. You need to buy a new climate control unit radio or information center in order to have working lights again unless you're handy with a soldering iron and know a lot about LEDs and taking electronics apart. So I don't get what you didnt understand sorryifi was unclear...

SRTILL8 10-03-2011 11:30 AM

welcome father paul... i mean step father cousin.....:eek::D:thumbsup:

as for the interior lights- lets not confuse the new guy...

interior lights is too vague to say to a new guy...

what tri0829 was referring to is the center control console... ex: temp control pod, hazard bar, heated seats bar.
what hemi57 was referring to is the dome lights, foot well lights, rear passenger dome lights and cargo door light. each and every one of these lights can be changed to any color you wish to. (a lot of people convert to LED instead of boring faded yellow halogen light exposure.

if i were you id look into what davy suggested. 08 and up. everything is a bonus from the 05-07s.

gl though yo!!

misfit77 10-03-2011 12:51 PM

I know you don't want to hear it.....

Don't buy a WK.

Its very cliche' but they don't build them like they used to.

If you must buy one then...be sure to get a V8.

r0yj33p 10-05-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfit77 (Post 493517)
I know you don't want to hear it.....

Don't buy a WK.

Its very cliche' but they don't build them like they used to.

If you must buy one then...be sure to get a V8.

Which models do u recommend then?

Thanks srtilla, I'm still a newb... before this I was pushing a mystery machine-style Astro van so this is all still new to me.

misfit77 10-07-2011 11:43 AM

A 2011 GC, but I am sure it has its flaws.

Every Wrangler owner I have ever met love their Jeeps.