Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Camber adjustment... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/camber-adjustment-29296.html)

Crestwood1001 10-03-2011 03:50 PM

Camber adjustment...

My cambers out 3/16ths on the left and 3/32ths on the right, they wanna know how to adjust the camber on these jeeps. I'm coming to you guys for tips. Ill take a pic of the screen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Budasac 10-03-2011 04:23 PM

Re: Camber adjustment...

Camber adjustment is made at the LCA (lower control arm) The bolts that anchor the LCA are in slots. Loosen and you can slide it in and out.

Edit: Here's a little more detail-

CAMBER, CASTER AND TOE ADJUSTMENT
Camber and caster angle adjustments involve changing the position of the lower control arm with the slots in the frame brackets to move the lower control arm inwards or outwards for proper adjustment. This can be achieved by using a long pry bar with a curved tip and inserting the pry bar into the lower control arm frame brackets and prying inwards or outwards.

NOTE: Camber and caster adjustments must be made at the lower control arm. Do not use the upper control arm for Camber and Caster adjustments.

NOTE: When the lower control arm pivot bolts are loosened the lower control arm will normally go outwards automatically with the weight of the vehicle.

CASTER
Moving the rear position of the lower control arm at the frame in or out, will change the caster angle significantly and camber angle only slightly. To maintain the camber angle while adjusting caster, move the rear of the lower control arm in or out. Then move the front of the lower control arm slightly in the opposite direction.

CAMBER
Move both the front and rear of the lower control arm together in or out. This will change the camber angle significantly and caster angle slightly.

After adjustment is made tighten the lower control arm bolt & nuts to FRONT169 Nm (125 ft. lbs.) and the REAR 88 Nm (65 ft. lbs.).

Crestwood1001 10-03-2011 05:08 PM

Thank you sir!

DGoral31 10-03-2011 05:29 PM

WHOA... im def using that info for my next alignment

+REP

Crestwood1001 10-03-2011 08:12 PM

Yea they wernt quite sure and didnt wanna try anything without knowing for sure!

jdcollins86 10-06-2011 09:32 PM

anyone have pics on this?? this would be a great write up

2005JGC 10-06-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 493737)
Yea they wernt quite sure and didnt wanna try anything without knowing for sure!

What kind of shop equipped with an alignment rack cannot A) find this information, either mitchels or alldata OR B) or using their brain, camber, caster and toe are not rocket science, look for slots, if it goes side to side in the vehicle the slot will predominently adjust camber, front to back - caster, and turning the wheel will be toe.

I would be worried about who is doing the alignment if they are asking the customer to figure out how to do it.... just sayin... Ultimately if they have to ask I would question the quality of the alignment and the longevitiy of the tires I just paid them to help protect.

DGoral31 10-07-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 495351)
What kind of shop equipped with an alignment rack cannot A) find this information, either mitchels or alldata OR B) or using their brain, camber, caster and toe are not rocket science, look for slots, if it goes side to side in the vehicle the slot will predominently adjust camber, front to back - caster, and turning the wheel will be toe.

I would be worried about who is doing the alignment if they are asking the customer to figure out how to do it.... just sayin... Ultimately if they have to ask I would question the quality of the alignment and the longevitiy of the tires I just paid them to help protect.

dude suprisingly enough, i went to two major mechanic shops Pep Boys being one of them... and neither could align my wheels after i put my lift. I went to a 3rd place that could finally do it and a month later im pulling left, i have to take the Jeep back, but seriously for some reason its a bitch to align these vehicles!! :mad:

2005JGC 10-07-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGoral31 (Post 495393)
dude suprisingly enough, i went to two major mechanic shops Pep Boys being one of them... and neither could align my wheels after i put my lift. I went to a 3rd place that could finally do it and a month later im pulling left, i have to take the Jeep back, but seriously for some reason its a bitch to align these vehicles!! :mad:

I do alignments... I did my own alignment... No pulling here. Yes changing factory suspension geometry can make it hard or even impossible to get exact oem specs its a matter it getting tire wearing angles dead nuts on and getting the steering and stability angles as close as possible.

That said I stand by my previous statement.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DGoral31 10-07-2011 03:22 AM

I completely agree with you... im an accountant... i consider myself a professional and my clients would agree. If i were EVER to ask one of my clients for advice on how to do their taxes i would look like a complete tool. lol

Crestwood1001 10-07-2011 07:24 AM

These guys know their shit, but it was 1152 when they closed at 12 on a saturday, the didn't wanna rush it and didn't have time to look into it so I OFFERED to ask you guys, they didn't ask me to. Its an indy shop my familys used for 10 plus years, I trust any of them with my jeep any day.

Crestwood1001 11-02-2011 01:06 PM

Fixed today!